What's your targets from winter training?

ianbar
ianbar Posts: 1,354
edited October 2012 in Road beginners
I always need a target to really get me riding or running in those days. And now that the summer is done I am working on what my targets are going to be to keep me doing productive rides rather then just going through the motions.some obvious ones are to work on some Strava segments there is a 1.7 mile flat which I was once in top 4 but some sneaky people have pushed me down to 12 so tht might be a fun target. So what are people's plans for the winter?
enigma esprit
cannondale caad8 tiagra 2012

Comments

• andy 3654
    andy 3654 Posts: 183
    I just plan to get out on the bike as much as possible. So long as its dry.
  • MartAstur
    MartAstur Posts: 122
    My main target this winter is the WIFE and trying to convince her that purchasing bike equipment is money well spent.
    Apart from that my target is to try and do at least one long run a week and like yourself (and to make it a bit more fun) try and work my way up the list on some strava segments.
  • dai_t75
    dai_t75 Posts: 189
    Seeing as I am just starting out my main goal at the moment is to build up to the point where I can do a 30 miler without being in a world of pain!

Also just want to try and get out as much as I can and generally build up my confidence in riding with traffic.
  • edewer
    edewer Posts: 99
    I'm in the top 10 for about 7 or 8 segments, and joint KOM in one of them, so I want to stretch out a lead on the joint one, and get to KOM on the others. One is a TT course though so I feel i've done incredibly well to make it close to the top full stop!
  • nick1972
    nick1972 Posts: 144
    dai_t75 wrote:
    Seeing as I am just starting out my main goal at the moment is to build up to the point where I can do a 30 miler without being in a world of pain!

Also just want to try and get out as much as I can and generally build up my confidence in riding with traffic.

I'm with you on that.
  • jay197
    jay197 Posts: 196
    Being able to do a hill would be nice :P
  • gthyer
    gthyer Posts: 46
    I'm hoping just to maintain the level that I've got to since the summer. I've progressed so much it would be a real pity to let it slip over the winter.

Commuting won't be much fun but aiming to do that no less than twice a week.
    That combined with one long ride at the weekend should give me about 150 miles a week.

Hope to top that up with some roller-time and emerge as a fresh new cat-4 butterfly in the spring :D
    Bianchi Via Nirone 7
    Curtis MX24
    Pashley 26mhz

http://www.strava.com/athletes/3040565
  • markos1963
    markos1963 Posts: 3,724
    edewer wrote:
    I'm in the top 10 for about 7 or 8 segments, and joint KOM in one of them, so I want to stretch out a lead on the joint one, and get to KOM on the others. One is a TT course though so I feel i've done incredibly well to make it close to the top full stop!

This is what I don't understand about Strava, why don't you just go and pay a couple of quid and get an 'official' time on that TT course?
  • andy 3654
    andy 3654 Posts: 183
    Would be great to do one long ride a week trouble is every day off i get is taken up with traveling to do the relationship thing.
    Still as I said before if its dry ill do my 20 miles to work.
  • nochekmate
    nochekmate Posts: 3,460
    50 next summer and my targets are sub 1 hour sprint tri - 400m swim, 20K bike, 5K run(best time having come back to it this year is 1:03:20 on a course that would not be considered quick - too many turns on the bike loop and hilly start to run) and sub 11 hour ironman (will be doing my first one in the summer if my legs stand up to the run training.)

Looks like a long winter ahead! :lol:
  • TommyB61
    TommyB61 Posts: 103
    I want to get out as often as possible, so as not to lose too much of the gains I made during this year....I'm hoping to have the self - discipline to get on the turbo instead of sitting on my Khyber when the weather's too foul to get out on the bike. :roll:
  • Get out as much as last year, but pick up the average pace by a couple of mph c/w last winter ( or maintain the summer pace through the colder weather ) - is this realistic ?
    All the gear, but no idea...
  • Only just started this cycle thing properly really. Plan is to build on the distance I can do at an average 17mph. I know this is dependent on the location, but I am Souff London so I am out to the back of Croydon and Bromley on the South Downs.

Did 17mph for 33m today after work. Saturday is 60 miles, but flatter. Want to make a Silver for a 100 mile sportive next year.

Also I need bigger quadriceps otherwise Titsey Hill let alone Box Hill at any pace will be impossible and I can kiss that average speed goodbye along with my pride if I have to walk up a climb. So the gym three times a week on the tread mill and weights.

Lastly discover the elixier of youth, I only now celebrate the day before my birthday!
  • leepez
    leepez Posts: 33
    I've been cycling for approx 6 weeks in total now and have only managed to get out on weekends either Saturday or Sunday mornings. So far I have only gone out on my own and last Sunday I completed 51 miles up towards Brecon and back home which I was really chuffed with. Prior til then my longest ride was 36 miles.
    I have contacted my local club and I hope to join them on one of their club rides this Sunday which is going to be approx 60 miles. :shock:
    So fingers crossed it all goes well, from which I then hope to join the club and start to begin some winter training and get myself in shape ready for some competitions next year. :D
  • Team4Luke
    Team4Luke Posts: 597
    I will be planning my cafes around my rides, might even plan my rides around my cafes.
    Team4Luke supports Cardiac Risk in the Young
  • napoleond
    napoleond Posts: 5,992
    Get ripped.

Save up for my new custom bike.
    Insta: ATEnduranceCoaching
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • mallorcajeff
    mallorcajeff Posts: 1,489
    to keep riding as much as i can in the daylight hours and do more climbing instead of 7 hour long rambling rides.
  • Bozman
    Bozman Posts: 2,518
    Get my diet sorted.
    I've got on top of everything apart from my diet.
  • alihisgreat
    alihisgreat Posts: 3,872
    Get fast enough for cat 4.

How fast do i need to be for cat 4? I don't know.. at the moment I'm just riding for fun.. will do base miles until christmas.. then do intervals and base through jan and feb. Sounds about right.
  • TakeTurns
    TakeTurns Posts: 1,075
    Do a larger variety of races besides crits. In order to do that I'll have to improve on hills. Currently dedicating 1 day a week for hills, will increase it to 2-3 during the winter as conditions get worse.

@ALIHISGREAT

Not too hard, you just have to remember that most of the people are novices too at cat4, so you'll have to be careful and have good bunch riding skills. The pace will be around 24mph avg. It can fluctuate often as people attack. Which usually takes the pace up to 28-30mph for a bit. I'm basing that off a flat-ish course which doesn't last much longer than an hour. Having shelter makes things so much easier though, so don't be startled by the figures.
  • edewer
    edewer Posts: 99
    markos1963 wrote:
    edewer wrote:

This is what I don't understand about Strava, why don't you just go and pay a couple of quid and get an 'official' time on that TT course?

I work 6/7 days a week from 9am, so I dont get an opportunity to. Believe me if i could I would, and a change of job thats hopefully looming will aloow me to do so, but for now its all Strava
  • daveski12
    daveski12 Posts: 158
    Carry on riding through winter including Sunday steady rides with a local club and chaingang rides.

Next year I would like to be able to do a local 10 mile TT in 25 mins, only did it once this summer at 29 mins. No idea if that target is realistic though.
  • mrDMH
    mrDMH Posts: 15
    I am hoping to be ready for my first sportive next april, I'm also trrying to shed a few pounds. I really need to get myself a turbo trainer
  • samsbike
    samsbike Posts: 942
    Lose 3 kg and get my commute time down to a consistent 1hr 15mins. That does mean upping my average from around 12/13 to 14/15mph and I have no idea how.
  • 1. Stay under 14 st
    2. Try to get closer to 13st
    3. Keep as fit as I can before starting to train up for Etape du dales again,then c2c in June.
  • Clean the bike occasionally.
    Not injure myself.
  • cyberknight
    cyberknight Posts: 1,238
    keep commuting unless its to snowy and concerntrate on getting miles in with the club runs to build base fitness ready for next year.
    If i can hit 5000 miles this year i will be happy enough. 849 to go .......
    FCN 3/5/9