Can I upgrade my 8 speed crankset with a 10 speed crankset?

rrsodl
rrsodl Posts: 486
edited October 2012 in Road beginners
Keeping the rest intact though. I've seen two posts here that would suggest it can be done.

I know that a 9 speed can be replaced by a 10 speed without any issues but mine is a 8 speed.

Comments

• dashik
    dashik Posts: 156
    I think you would need to replace at least one shifter as well so it would probaby cost more than its worth.
  • I don't follow. What are you trying to do?

Of course you can swap one crankset for another (within reason, obviously, and you may need to replace the bottom bracket). If you wanted to turn your 8 speed into a 10 speed you would change the chainrings rather than the crankset, assuming no BCD compatibility issues (changing the crankset makes little sense to me). 10 speed gears use specific sprockets and chains which are narrower, so you would need to change the chain as well, in addition to the rear derailleur and of course the shifters and cassette.

In other words unless the bike is REALLY nice, I wouldn't bother; it's not as if there's anything wrong with 8 speed gears.
  • rrsodl
    :D I can understand why people wonder about the reasons I want to do this.

Let's just say that I'm quite happy with the 8 speed cassette I have, I don't want to go to 10 speeds for various reasons. I could push it to 9 speeds but I prefer not to.

I already have a 9 speed crankset which is the one I want to replace. I can't seem to find a NEW 9 speed compact crankset in black but I found a 10 speed that is in black, compact, etc.

Hope that makes things more clear :D

Basically, is a 8 speed chain compatible with a 10 speed crankset? Or Can I use a 8 speed chain with a 10 speed crankset?

Cheers
  • desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    You can use any speed crankset, they are all the same w.r.t. sprocket thickness and spacing. You could use a Shimano crankset with Campag front derailleur if you wanted to. The only thing you might stumble over is bottom bracket type as there are a few around these days.
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • Htron
    Htron Posts: 47
    I think you are confusing terms here. You keep saying 'crankset' (which I understand as the front chain rings) where I think you mean group set = whole drivetrain (chain, cassette, shifters, e.t.c).
  • rrsodl
    DesWeller wrote:
    You can use any speed crankset, they are all the same w.r.t. sprocket thickness and spacing. You could use a Shimano crankset with Campag front derailleur if you wanted to. The only thing you might stumble over is bottom bracket type as there are a few around these days.

Thanks for that. That's is the kind of information I was looking for. I thought that was the case but I needed reassurance from somebody that knows his stuff :D

I know that companies try to get you to buy everything new when doing an upgrade but there are a few things like derailleurs, chains and cranksets where it's possible to mix them around a little.

I use the same type cassette for all my bikes so I buy the cassettes in numbers :D I still have about 4 brand new cassettes in the garage. Lots of chains, jockey wheels, etc

Thanks again.
  • DesWeller wrote:

I don't suppose an 8 speed chain will work very well with a 10 speed, though...
  • rrsodl
    DesWeller wrote:

If the sprocket thickness and spacing is the same as a 9 speed crankset then it should work fine. On the other hand, a 8 speed chain would not work with a 10 speed cassette.
  • you can use any chainset you want.

At one point I was running a mixture of Shimano 9 speed shifters, chain and front mech with a Shimano 10 speed rear mech and Campag 11 speed chainset.

It worked fine

obviously seen the light now and running full campag 11 speed but only because of ribbing off my mates and the fact its an Italian frame

Simon
  • desweller
    DesWeller wrote:

It'll work fine. There is no difference in chainset sprockets between model ranges; the differences lie in the cassette and rear derailleur control.
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • rrsodl
    DesWeller wrote:
    DesWeller wrote:

It'll work fine. There is no difference in chainset sprockets between model ranges; the differences lie in the cassette and rear derailleur control.

I thought the rear derailleur is controlled by the amount of cable the shifter pulls, in other words shifter and cassette must be compatible but the derailleur can be anything.
  • desweller
    RRSODL wrote:
    DesWeller wrote:
    DesWeller wrote:

I thought the rear derailleur is controlled by the amount of cable the shifter pulls, in other words shifter and cassette must be compatible but the derailleur can be anything.

Yes. The shifter is the rear derailleur control.
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    I use 7 speed cassette, 8 speed shifters, "10 speed" chainset (Ultegra) and 9 speed chain :-D Its all about compatibility...cassette spacing and shifters is the main one, chainset really doesn't matter much, and chain needs to be not too wide or too narrow for the rear cassette.
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava