The Thick of It (therefore very sweary)

rick_chasey
rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
edited October 2012 in Commuting chat
Bloody hell do I like the thick of it.

Some choice lines from this series.

Malcolm Tucker: What's that film that you love?
Ollie Reeder: What film?
Malcolm: The one about the f*cking hairdresser, the space hairdresser and the cowboy. The guy, he's got a tin foil pal and a pedal bin. His father's a robot and he's f*cking f*cked his sister. Lego! They're all made of f*cking lego.
Ollie: Star Wars?
Malcolm: That's the one.
"You're Aslan. No one shaves your mane."
"I've got my c0ck out, it's covered in breadcrumbs and the f*cking pigeons are circling."
"I just wanted one solid sh!t to go in one direction, not madras f*cking everywhere."
[Tory boy to the lib dems]"You're basically a couple of homeless guys we invited to Christmas dinner. Don't b!tch if we don't let you carve the turkey."

Comments

• notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    I love it. Its just so close to what is probably the truth its barely still satire...
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    A brilliant programme. I must watch the film one day.

Cunts.
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • PBo
    PBo Posts: 2,493
    that line about nicola peeing into the tent, but she's so useless it'd blow back in her own face was utter, utter, utter genius!!!
  • PBo
    PBo Posts: 2,493
    that line about nicola peeing into the tent, but she's so useless it'd blow back in her own face was utter, utter, utter genius!!!
  • Origamist
    Origamist Posts: 807
    Malcolm Tucker: Everybody hates f*cking cyclists, even f*cking cyclists hate f*cking cyclists!
  • M-A-S
    M-A-S Posts: 87
    The line "What is this tinker tailor soldier c***?" has kept me chuckling since i heard it!

I heard Armando Iannucci in an interview once say that some of the stuff they heard about that really happened they couldn't use as people wouldn't believe it.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,337
    There's now some sort of weird feedback loop where MP's are citing The Thick Of It in parliamentary debates.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • TheStone
    TheStone Posts: 2,291
    There's an hour long special this weekend. Apparently very good.
    exercise.png
  • graeme_s-2
    graeme_s-2 Posts: 3,382
    Seems they filmed the enquiry special as if it were a real enquiry (sort of) with no rehearsals for the cast:

http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/enter ... 26628.html

Looking forwards to this.
  • graeme_s-2
    graeme_s-2 Posts: 3,382
    Origamist wrote:
    Malcolm Tucker: Everybody hates f*cking cyclists, even f*cking cyclists hate f*cking cyclists!
    That was the episode where they were trying to find a celeb to promote a government initiative. They rattled through a list of people, discounting them for various reasons. One of the people they discounted was Lewis Hamilton. A couple of days later the government launched an initiative fronted by Lewis Hamilton!

I just loved the idea that some poor bastard was sat at home watching The Thick of It when that came up and realised they were about to launch an initiative backed by someone that even a satire felt was an unsuitable candidate. Must have been a total "Oh fsck!" moment.
  • Best thing on TV easily, been a massive fan for a long long time.

Seeing Malcolm fulfilling his promise of being "self-raising Lazarus", has been very pleasing indeed. The goolding Inquiry tomorrow looks incredible.
  • Thought last night episode was class and extremely well written.
    Just loved the way how all the characters were taken out of their comfort zone, and their reactions to this realisation.
    You're the light wiping out my batteries; You're the cream in my airport coffee's.
  • rick_chasey
    Yeah.

Last night was good. Wasn't the thick of it though, really.

Was just a political drama. Well written and well acted for sure. But not especially funny nor fast paced.

Also, not sweary enough ;).
  • Ber Nard
    Ber Nard Posts: 827
    Yeah.

Last night was good. Wasn't the thick of it though, really.

Was just a political drama. Well written and well acted for sure. But not especially funny nor fast paced.

Also, not sweary enough ;).

Agreed. Kinda made me realise I only like The Thick Of It for the swearing/ranting.

Rob
  • rjsterry
    Quite enjoyed some of the mangled explanations with horribly mixed metaphors

Terri's "Shepherdess" speech for example.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• SimonAH
    SimonAH Posts: 3,730
    Or "Sheep in shepherdess' clothing" proper LOL
    FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
    CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
    Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.
  • Gazzaputt
    Gazzaputt Posts: 3,227
    I thought Saturday to be one of the best ever. So well acted and seemed to be very true to life.

Loved when the Baroness had to attend to a 'personal' matter due to a leak to the press.

Malcolm proved he doesn't need the swearing to cut people down but it helps!
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    I don't think it was very funny, but it was very good.
    All of the back stabbing has turned 360 degrees and now what was underground is now going to force people down the tubes.

I'm trying to mix my metaphors, but I'm not as good at it as Armando Iannucci.
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • notsoblue
    I think it really illustrated just how complicit everyone is in the current political environment. I don't think it will change until this is accepted as being the root cause.
  • rjsterry
    notsoblue wrote:
    I think it really illustrated just how complicit everyone is in the current political environment. I don't think it will change until this is accepted as being the root cause.

So you agree with Malcolm's closing statement? ;)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• notsoblue
    rjsterry wrote:
    notsoblue wrote:

So you agree with Malcolm's closing statement? ;)
    Trying to think back to what he said now, will watch it again to double check. But basically, yeah, I think Tucker is a political pragmatist. The character clearly knows exactly how ugly the practices behind our media and political establishments are and knows perfectly how to use and manipulate them for his party's gain. The people he works for know this too, but don't want to get their hands dirty.

I think he illustrates the endemic lack of idealism in politics, and how people get entirely lost in all their contortions to play the political game. Its no wonder people are disillusioned by politicians when they spend so much time trying to appear to have ideals that they forget to actually have them. Or indeed, having them at all can make you unsuitable for political office.

Managing the perception of a policy has become more important than the policy itself.
  • rjsterry
    Tonight's finale was something else! The perfect way to end it. Too many quotable lines to choose from, and I won't spoil it for anyone who's waiting for iPlayer.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• SimonAH
    SimonAH Posts: 3,730
    Twas excellent!
    FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
    CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
    Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.
  • rick_chasey
    Meh - was a little disappointed.

Wasn't as funny, nor did it feel particularly cutting. Just a bit sad.

Felt a bit like the office christmas special but without the ending. Like Brent, Tucker just becomes a sad bully when not in a position of authority anymore.

I'm sure it was the point, but I didn't feel any particular resolution, which most of the other series had.
  • Meh - was a little disappointed.

Wasn't as funny, nor did it feel particularly cutting. Just a bit sad.

Felt a bit like the office christmas special but without the ending. Like Brent, Tucker just becomes a sad bully when not in a position of authority anymore.

I'm sure it was the point, but I didn't feel any particular resolution, which most of the other series had.

+1.
    Not that I was expecting a 'big' finale, but 'twas more of a whimper than a bang (to paraphrase Eliot)
    Although Murray's Mirror interview segment was amusing in a schadenfreude kinda way.
    You're the light wiping out my batteries; You're the cream in my airport coffee's.