Lights upgrade

Kerguelen
Kerguelen Posts: 248
edited October 2012 in Commuting general
Looking for some advice from the Collective on headlight setup. My commute is 26 miles through city centre, suburbia, Deliverance country (awww yeah) and sundry villages.

Current headlight setup is a pair of Moon X-Power 500s on the bars and a Smart Lunar 35 duct-taped to my crash helmet. It's usually good enough but now I'm looking for a bit more.

Just found this: http://www.edinburghbicycle.com/product ... -drive-led

1,000 lumens in a self-contained unit...? I like self-contained lights, never got on with separate light units & battery.

So I was thinking I could mount the new Lezyne on the bars and demote one of the Moon units to a helmet light. Or should I go full windowlicker and get 2 of the Lezynes for the bars and mount both Moon units to my crash helmet...?

It's been a while since I spent vast amounts of cash on shiny things, persuade me (either way).

Comments

• fossyant
    fossyant Posts: 2,549
    If two Moon 500s aren't enough on road, I'd get your eyes tested.

I have 2 Hope 1s and these are half the 500 lumens kicked out by the Moon and its more than enough light.

If you are MTBing then yes go for more light, but road use you really don't need that sort of power. 1000 lumens is enough on the road.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Dealextreme 'magicshine' front light, I can off road using that and oncoming drivers flash me if I forget to mask it.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • BigLights
    BigLights Posts: 464
    i have an Exposure Maxx-D, self contained 1000 lumen beast of a lamp, very nice it is too. Plus a Joystick on my helmet. They connect to the Redeye rear lights which are flippin bright red lamps. It's been almost 100% reliable for the past 3 years, only 1 minor issue which Exposure fixed for free even though it's out of Warrantee. Highly recommended, particularly if like me you have to take them off all the time when you lock up the bike outside.
  • BigLights wrote:
    i have an Exposure Maxx-D, self contained 1000 lumen beast of a lamp, very nice it is too. Plus a Joystick on my helmet. They connect to the Redeye rear lights which are flippin bright red lamps.

But bloody expensive...
    I have a Maxx-D myself and love it to bits, but they are top of the price range for what you get.
    2007 Felt Q720 (the ratbike)
    2012 Cube Ltd SL (the hardtail XC 26er)
    2014 Lapierre Zesty TR 329 (the full-sus 29er)
  • pdw
    pdw Posts: 315
    I've just bought a Philips SafeRide 80 (£65 with discount code) as it's one of the very few lights on the market with a decent beam pattern for use on the road. I use it in conjunction with a DIY LED conversion of an old Lumicycle light (should be something like 1000 lumens) which I use as a switchable full-beam light.

Last year I used two LED conversions, with one angled well down as a dipped beam, and concluded that it was always going to be an unhappy compromise between being able to see properly, and not blinding drivers and pedestrians.

The beam pattern of the Philips light is fantastic, but I'm in the process of converting it to use an external battery and give it a little bit more oomph.
  • Kerguelen
    Kerguelen Posts: 248
    fossyant wrote:
    If two Moon 500s aren't enough on road, I'd get your eyes tested.

I have 2 Hope 1s and these are half the 500 lumens kicked out by the Moon and its more than enough light.

If you are MTBing then yes go for more light, but road use you really don't need that sort of power. 1000 lumens is enough on the road.

TBH there is not much wrong with the Moons, it's just that wet tarmac sucks up light like an event horizon, and I find the mode switch fiddly esp. with full-finger gloves. But then on dry tarmac they can be perfectly fine even on minimum power.

Having suffered through the era of Never Ready lights (remember them? you might as well have attached a candle to the front of your bike) I'm now spoiled for choice & power but still want more.
  • prb007
    prb007 Posts: 703
    If Wales was flattened out, it'd be bigger than England!
    Planet X Ti Sportive for Sportives & tours
    Orange Alpine 160 for Afan,Alps & dodging trees
    Singlespeed Planet X Kaffenback for dodging potholes
    An On-One Inbred for hard-tail shenanigans...