What rucksack?

Eyon
Eyon Posts: 623
edited October 2012 in Commuting general
Hi all,

I want to try to commute every day to my classes. Whilst I cycle a lot and have all the riding gear, I am clueless on a bag!

My list of daily carrying things:
Shirt
Trousers
Shoes
Up to two large A4 ring binders and maybe another two small A4 ones
Lunch
iPad
Small towl
General junk

My bike is set up in quite an aggressive position, not a problem for my me and my body, but I find courier style bags swing around me which is a pain, so am looking for a rucksack style bag, ideally one which wont move around too much.

Any ideas?

Thanks
Ian

Comments

• I do a 15 mile e.w. commute with a Freitag Hazzard bag. It's made of recycled truck tarpaulin (so each bag is different - you get to choose the bit of tarpaulin you want to use on their website). The straps are made out of old car seat belts.
    I find it to be a really comfortable bag and as it's made of tarpaulin it's completely waterproof. The inside is split for a laptop or whatever.

They're expensive at 350chf but I expect it to last me a long time.

Here's a link to the website.
    http://www.freitag.ch/pa/F48
  • paolo73
    paolo73 Posts: 27
    That's a lot of stuff! you could do worse than get a triathlon specific transition bag, something like this http://www.wiggle.co.uk/zoot-ultra-tri-bag/

Tri bags will have a dedicated section for shoes which is a bonus when they're covered in filth, and also a waterproof bit designed for a wetsuit but you can put your day clothes in that to keep them clean, and there's bound to be a pocket you can put the ipad in. plus they're designed to be worn while riding so the straps etc. will be comfortable. The only danger is you'll be mistaken for a triathlete which may or may not fit with your image!
  • MattMTB
    MattMTB Posts: 95
    Kriega R25 or R35- I've had the R25 for years and it's still going strong. Holds lots and very comfortable
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    I use an alpkit Gourdon, mine's only 20 litres but I don't carry as much as you. They're good because they're completely waterproof, unlike other bags that have a 'rain cover' so you know you'll have dry clothes to put on and your papers/phone/laptop etc won't be wrecked if it pees it down.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • CJ Bill
    CJ Bill Posts: 415
    I recently got the Deuter Trans Alpine for commuting. It's spacious (30L) so should easily fit the load you desrcribed (today I carried D=Lock, lunch box, large book, netbook, tablet, waterproof, full change of clothes, with just enough room to squeeze two packs of bagels in that I bought on the way home). Plenty of well thought out pockets, usual high Dueter quality. If it's a bit big the 18L Exp mentioned above is good as well (had an earlier model, was gutted when it was stolen).
    http://www.wiggle.co.uk/deuter-trans-al ... sack-2012/
  • Eyon
    Eyon Posts: 623
    Thanks for the advise. I'll take a look at the options and go from there. I think my major concern is the size of what I carry, but by the sounds of things 30L will do me.

Cheers
    Ian
  • Get a rack. So much easier than having a bag on your back.
  • CJ Bill
    CJ Bill Posts: 415
    I've got a rack as well, however it depends on your commute and commuting style. A pannier or two do sterling service when I'm transporting a bit of kit and really are good for a sweat free back. Having said that, my road bike doesn't have the brazons to fit a rack even if I wanted to and going with a backpack does make a palpable difference to speed: I have a lovely 30 mile run I do in summer and it's so much more *fun* with a back pack rather than a pannier. Horses for courses I guess.
  • I use a Karrimor rucksack that I got from Go Outdoors, nothing special.. My feeling is that if it fits all your stuff in then it's the right bag!!
  • Try looking at north face ruck sacks. The jester i think is designed to hold a4 folders and comes in a 30litre size but they have plenty of designs to suit different situs. The Borealis also comes in a 30l size but the design of the jesters opening may suit better for packing cloths and books.
    If i aint riding it, then im thinking about riding it.
  • davis
    davis Posts: 2,506
    Can you not leave half that kit at work (shoes, some clothes, towel)? As for "A4 ring binders" -- what are they? Dropbox/USB storage is alive and well, you know...
    Sometimes parts break. Sometimes you crash. Sometimes it’s your fault.
  • passout
    passout Posts: 4,425
    I agree that around 30l sounds about right. A got a 33l from Trespass - no problem with it. Just check that it comes with a waterproof cover or invest in one of those hi viz ones. i also wanted straps to attach lights.
    'Happiness serves hardly any other purpose than to make unhappiness possible' Marcel Proust.