Ride day before Exmoor Beast

JamesB
JamesB Posts: 1,184
Coming down to Porlock Friday pm; so am looking for a recommended route for Saturday, about 60-70 miles, not covering roads of Exmoor Beast as far as possible and having a nice pub stop :)
Any local advice? Thinking of heading towards Quantocks / Brendon hills maybe?
ta :)

Comments

• That's some warm-up ride for the challenge of 'The Beast' the following day. Hope you get some sensible local advice and maybe some company. You'll have plenty of company in the event itself on Sunday; over 1400 are entered and with the on-line booking system open untill midnight next Monday (22nd Oct) the organisers are expecting a record field to take the start line. The mid term weather outlook continues to look quite favourable, so that should encourage a few more to join the party. I'd love to join you on Saturday but have volunteered to help out getting registration set up at Butlins. Come on now you locals and give JamesB the advice he seeks.
  • JamesB
    Thanks Ron, I was wondering if anyone ever rides road on Exmoor ! My looking at maps woudl indicate heading up Porlock Toll, then back across Luccott Moor , Winsford Hill to Dulverton, meander along B roads to Wiveliscombe, and tehn back over hills to watchet, and Porlock, calling in at Butlins to register Sat pm...Anquet maps shows about 60 miles, 2 000 m climbing so a good steady day out with a nice pub stop somewhere :)
  • "a nice pub stop" suggests you're a man after my own heart James; a driker with a cycling problem!!!
    Maybe we'll get to say hello in the Crazy Horse Saloon, at Butlins after your ride; ask for me at registration. Enjoy your ride.
  • JamesB wrote:
    Coming down to Porlock Friday pm; so am looking for a recommended route for Saturday, about 60-70 miles, not covering roads of Exmoor Beast as far as possible and having a nice pub stop :)
    Any local advice? Thinking of heading towards Quantocks / Brendon hills maybe?
    ta :)
    Hi James... 70 miles in Exmoor... are you mad? I suggest you have a go at Dunkery Beacon from Luccombe it's a 10/10 in Simon Warren's book and truly spectacular... also you can truly enjoy the toll road out of Porlock, while the 1 in 4 main road is horrible, with stench of brake pads and cluches burning... the toll road is only 1 pound for bicycles and it climbs at a constant 6% for 4 miles or so... fantastic views and no traffic at all

These two are the best roads I recall around the area
    left the forum March 2023
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    OK, if I am honest I would actually try not to do too much the day before! The roads around Exmoor are suprisingly tough ("grippy" :) ) and it is easy to underestimate just how sapping a decent 70 miler is.

So, I would just plan a nice 35 miles as a warm up whilst trying to avoid the beast route itself. The Porlock toll road is one of my favourite climbs in the country but once you are up there the only obvious routes are to Lynton/Lynmouth or over to Exford, both good but will lead you onto the beast route.

Why not try this as a nice warm up: http://ridewithgps.com/routes/1821685. The climb from Dunster up to Wheddon Cross is lovely (new road surface) and then after spinning across the tops to Raleighs cross, you end up dropping into Watchet and get to do the coast with a few nice climbs. You could stop off at any of the pubs on the way (in Wheddon Cross, Raleighs Cross, etc.). I did a similar route the other w/e although I took in Bampton and looped back via Morebath (which is quite similar to the Beast). All very nice although I did have my tongue hanging out Voeckler-stylee at one point as I whizzed along in a bid to get back in a decent time.

Note that the ride linked above is only 35 miles, but still comes in at ~1,000m of climbing. If you did want some more miles and fancied the toll road (you will need one Pound) then this one is based on one of my training loops: http://ridewithgps.com/routes/1822399.

If you do either route then be careful of the descent from Raleighs Cross as it is quite technical and prone to fine debris washed onto the corners.

Unfortunately, I won't be around for the Beast this year so have a good one :)
  • JamesB
    ... 70 miles in Exmoor... are you mad?

Did this last week http://connect.garmin.com/activity/234003096 so don`t think 70 miles is mad at all ---weather being reasonable

My local mid Wales 30 mile ride is 800 m climbing too :)

Certainly will have Porlock Toll on list, and then heading north. a 34 / 29 is very useful I find :):)
  • mustol
    mustol Posts: 134
    JamesB wrote:
    ... 70 miles in Exmoor... are you mad?

Did this last week http://connect.garmin.com/activity/234003096 so don`t think 70 miles is mad at all ---weather being reasonable

My local mid Wales 30 mile ride is 800 m climbing too :)

Certainly will have Porlock Toll on list, and then heading north. a 34 / 29 is very useful I find :):)

If I was you I'd head South from Porlock, else you'll end up in the Severn Estuary! I think doing 60-70 miles on Exmoor the day before the beast is madness. I wouldn't do more than a couple of hours gentle riding. The Beast is a really tough ride - save your energy for the day!
  • JamesB
    yes indeed some moment madness must have crept in to be heading north into Severn estuary :shock: :shock:
    better off south then :)
  • JamesB
    If you did want some more miles and fancied the toll road (you will need one Pound) then this one is based on one of my training loops: http://ridewithgps.com/routes/1822399.

thanks that looks a nice route and very similar to my initial thoughts :)
  • Hi all, I am new to the Exmoor Beast this year...(wishing myself luck!) I wondered who knew whether all the road surfaces were paved? Any bits to watch out for? and given how reading during the last few years its rained.. and this year looks like no exception.. how the roads are in Exmoor when wet? :)
  • vs
    vs Posts: 468
    All the roads are paved. There is a cattle grid on a 20%+ incline on the climb of Crook Hill, the first proper climb. This is incredibly difficult to cross when wet and many come off - someone completely buckled their front wheel last year.

There is a cobbled ford, also on Crook Hill, which will be full and is very slippery - I walk around this - seen people come off too many times. The descent into Lynmouth is great but steepens suddenly under the trees at the bottom to 25% (brakes will need to be good if wet) after a mile of 10%.

All good then until the descent at the end into Timberscombe which is leave covered, slippery and has some sharp corners on - I overcooked one a couple of years ago and ran out of road.

If you're doing the hundred it gets a bit monotonous after 60 miles because it leaves the best part of Exmoor and does a couple of loops of the Brendon Hills, which are a bit dull imho. The roads on Exmoor are 'heavy', and then there's the wind....
  • nwns88
    nwns88 Posts: 107
    I am planning to set off from Butlins Sat am. PM me if you want to meet up. I plan to leave around 0830-0900 and do about 35 miles
  • FoldingJoe
    FoldingJoe Posts: 1,327
    vs wrote:
    All the roads are paved. There is a cattle grid on a 20%+ incline on the climb of Crook Hill, the first proper climb. This is incredibly difficult to cross when wet and many come off - someone completely buckled their front wheel last year.

My understanding is that they are placing a cover across the cattle grid this year, so it should be easier to get across. :)
    Little boy to Obama: "My Dad says that you read all our emails"
    Obama to little boy: "He's not your real Dad"

Kona Honky Tonk for sale: http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=40090&t=13000807
  • hatone
    hatone Posts: 228
    Despite promising signs of good weather last week, it is now looking really dreadful with heavy rain throughout. :(

Not sure if I can stomach a 4 hr drive just to get soaked....
  • JamesB
    it is now looking really dreadful with heavy rain throughout

Wasn`t quite that bad, but neither was it good; Saturday however was a glorious cold, sunny day and thoroughly enjoyed my 50 miles out of Porlock up Toll Rd and around to Dulverton---although quite a bit of ice about. Did the 100 km Sunday in the rain (had intended 100 miles but weather changed that for me) :(, getting around under 5 hours, an enjoyable weekends riding overall. Fabulous descent into Lynmouth :D:D too after horrid wet and windy section along A 39