Is a bicycle in a bin bag classed as a bicycle (trains)

willhub
willhub Posts: 821
edited October 2012 in Commuting chat
As above.

If I get to the station, take both of my wheels off, undo the bars and place them on their side, then chuck it in a black bin bag, will it still be classed as a bicycle as far as train staff are concerned?

On the First Hull Trains there is 3 bicycle slots on the train, and every single available train on Monday, Tue and Wed next week is has all three bike slots taken up, now I don't believe that for one minute so what are they playing at?

Comments

• cyclingprop
    cyclingprop Posts: 2,426
    Yes. Modify it into a folding bike and you will probably be fine.
    What do you mean you think 64cm is a big frame?
  • jds_1981
    jds_1981 Posts: 1,858
    Probably depends on individual staff.
    FCN 9 || FCN 5
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    You would definitely get away with a bike bag. I have in the past. (It's just luggage at that point.) A mate on the same journey who had booked a bike on the train nearly didn't get on...
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • vermin
    vermin Posts: 1,739
    If one did the same to a person, would one be expected to book a seat for them? There's your answer.
  • willhub
    vermin wrote:
    If one did the same to a person, would one be expected to book a seat for them? There's your answer.

Depends?

Some with a person in a bag that gets caught on a train I think a reservation would be the last thing on their mind they'd probably get attempted murder.
  • sketchley
    sketchley Posts: 4,238
    There is a size restriction on luggage on the trains. Nothing more than 1/2 metre cubed iirc.
    --
    Chris

Genesis Equilibrium - FCN 3/4/5
  • sketchley
    sketchley Posts: 4,238
    Here you go, 2 large items no more than 1m in any one diamention and you must be able to carry it plus one smaller bag.

http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/passenger ... imals.html
    --
    Chris

Genesis Equilibrium - FCN 3/4/5
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,314
    There's a fine line between between being a genius and being an idiot.

I'm not sure which side the OP is on.
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • willhub
    Sketchley wrote:
    Here you go, 2 large items no more than 1m in any one diamention and you must be able to carry it plus one smaller bag.

I've got a backpack, which should fit in the overhead storage, then a large 1m in length bag, as well as my bike, you rekon I'll get away with it? I can undo the bars as well.
  • mroli
    mroli Posts: 3,622
    Just as a warning - we thought that if we "parceled up" our bikes on the Eurostar into packages (ie wheels off, pedals off, handlebars turned) - we would be allowed them on. We weren't - proper bike bag only (or we just paid the Euro30 supplement as a preferred option to avoid all the hassle - we only asked as we weren't sure we'd get our bikes on).
  • Initialised
    Initialised Posts: 3,047
    vermin wrote:
    Never seen a person with detachable wheels...
    I used to just ride my bike to work but now I find myself going out looking for bigger and bigger hills.
  • memsley89
    memsley89 Posts: 247
    Sketchley wrote:

I've seen plenty of people getting the train from Gatwick with suitcases bigger than this,
    Why do people take SO much on holiday with them!?
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    Will,

When we travel up North to see friends and family (using East Coast, but we have used Hull Trains on one occasion), the first train crew we see that really pays any attention whatsoever is the train guard asking for our tickets. By that time, I’ve stowed all our luggage overhead or in the vestibule ends and we’re sat at the table (with the cat) ready to travel.

So we could have brought anything onto the train as long as we were clever enough to stow it well.

The train starts at Kings Cross where you’re embarking, right? Prepare the bike (in a bin bag with wheels off and bars rotated, whatever) and get there early so you have time to stow everything away as necessary.

It’s a moderately selfish tactic, but I assume it’s not something you’re going to make a habit of (unlike some of the prats that I see on the train and tube with FAR TOO MUCH LUGGAGE) and it appears you’re in a bit of a predicament.

Fortune favours the brave.
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • kieranb
    kieranb Posts: 1,674
    Sketchley wrote:

I've seen people travel around London with large musical instrument cases easily bigger than this e.g. a full sized double bass or cello will easily exceed 1m in height!
  • Greg T
    Greg T Posts: 3,266
    kieranb wrote:
    I've seen people travel around London with large musical instrument cases easily bigger than this e.g. a full sized double bass or cello will easily exceed 1m in height!

I've seen a penny farthing on the tube . . .
    Fixed gear for wet weather / hairy roadie for posing in the sun.

What would Thora Hurd do?