Extra chainring gearing

pesky_jones
pesky_jones Posts: 2,890
edited October 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
I recently bought a second hand orange patriot 7+ and after replacing a few things, i noticed that despite having two chainrings, the gearing is set up for three chainrings (as in there is the middle and large chainring but the handlebar gears allows me to go down to “1”) (no idea how i didnt spot this straight away).

When on the middle chainring if I go to the easier end of the cassette on the rear wheel, e.g 1,2,3 it produces an unhealthy noise and can slip off if i got to 1, same thing on the larger chainring. Obviously something needs to change but what? Is the cassette somehow set up for three chainrings or is it simply the handlebar part of the gearing needs to go? (assuming this is affecting the derailleur etc)

cheers

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    sounds like a poor set up.

yes using the first two positions on the shifter is normal. using the middle and big ring is not normal but nothing wrong with it.

what are the cranks? make. model and year?

any BB mount devices? if External BB what spacers where.

BB width is? if not external what is the axle length?
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • pesky_jones
    nicklouse wrote:
    sounds like a poor set up.

You're very right.

The cranks are Sram Ruktion. As for the BB i’m not sure what an external BB is and not sure what BB mounts are :oops:

Im not sure if you can see from the picture but:
    viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12884569

Im thinking bout just replacing the whole lot as im not sure how old it all is anyway and could probally do with a fresh set up. Out of curiosity, saying i went for mid-range gear, have you got any idea of what that would cost. I know, such a vague question but any ball parl figure would be good.
    Cheers
  • nicklouse
    Ok first off lets look at what you are looking for out of the bike?

how is the current set up for riding do you want lower (climbing) gears? or....

costs anything from 50 quid up or.......

and it might be but very hard to see.

I sugest some looking at Parktools webby to help you help us help you.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    I setup my double to not use 1, yes slightly confusing but it means I don't risk overstressing stuff by trying to push it into 3 against the stop......

The other issues sound like setup issues unless the BB is the wrong width, cranks look like an internal BB but a close up photo of the gap twixt frame and crank would help.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • nicklouse
    I setup my double to not use 1, yes slightly confusing but it means I don't risk overstressing stuff by trying to push it into 3 against the stop......
    the issue with that is you can cause the wire to disloge in the shifter if you shift into the "spare" position which can totally jam the shfter requiring a strip down.
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    And you're not really stressing anything by using a position the shifter won't go into any more than if you're trying to shift into a notional 4th chainring!
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    It coming loose is a risk, but in my SRAM shifters there is no where for it to go - and it's not happened yet!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • nicklouse
    It coming loose is a risk, but in my SRAM shifters there is no where for it to go - and it's not happened yet!
    but there is.
  • pesky_jones
    I will get a pic in a couple of hours.

Not climbing in particular, not saying that i don't go to the lower gears when climbing, which is the problem, when i do that i think the chain might be rubbing on the derailleur or on something. I think the whole set up is dodgy tbh i'll get a load of pictures later. cheers guys