New to clipless, please help

mk1markfalkirk
mk1markfalkirk Posts: 93
edited October 2012 in Road beginners
Ive just bought a bike with LOOK KEO pedals, I'm at a loss as to which shoes are compatible.

I'm buying cheap shoes to get going then will upgrade later, are all these 3 compatible?

Pedals
http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=86167
Cleats
http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=23668
Shoes
http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=69973

Also the cleats are available in 0 / 4.5 / 9 degrees what does this mean,

Many thanks Mark.

Comments

• pinarellokid
    pinarellokid Posts: 1,208
    all them will work together no problem.

i have got the 4.5 float as it gives my foot a little sideways movement.

0 are locked in solid and 9 are floating about all over the place.
    Specialized S Works SL2 . Campagnolo Record 11spd. rolling on Campag Zonda wheels

http://app.strava.com/athletes/881211
  • farrina
    farrina Posts: 360
    Can't comment on actual shoes themselves (no doubt others can assist here)

The various degrees states are the amount of lateral movlement allowed (ie sideways) whilst your shoe is clipped onto the pedal.

Zero is none so you would have to be absolutely spot on with your cleat alignment to avoid kneed problems.

Personally I use 9 degrees but when clipless pedals first came out commercially (circa 1985) mine at least were zero and my knees did not fall off. Bascially its personal choice.

Regards

Alan
    Regards
    Alan
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    The cleats (4.5 degrees, I think) should come with the pedals.

I have these shoes which I can recommend
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=55382

Also - DHB R1 shoe is highly recommended (from wiggle)
  • A bit of a thread hijack, but saves a new, similar themed thread. I'm looking to get clipless pedals, but quite like the idea of being able to hop on my bike in normal trainers to nip to the shop etc. so I was wondering what are the disadvantages of the double-sided clipless pedals that have one side flat?

Cheers
  • Anonymous
    Just ease of clipping in/out.
    Shimano A520 are pretty good
    - they suit MTB shoes so its easy to walk in them (as opposed to road shoes)
    - double sided - the other side is a normal pedal so fine in trainers

downside is they are one-sided to clip into so you have to get them the right way round. (this is nit-picking though, really)

I have road shoes (shimano SPD-SL) and although the pedals are one sided, but also quite flat so fine in trainers.
  • lotus49
    lotus49 Posts: 763
    jenno87 wrote:
    A bit of a thread hijack, but saves a new, similar themed thread. I'm looking to get clipless pedals, but quite like the idea of being able to hop on my bike in normal trainers to nip to the shop etc. so I was wondering what are the disadvantages of the double-sided clipless pedals that have one side flat?

Cheers
    The main issue is that they only exist for SPD cleats (ie MTB shoes) and not SPD-SLs (ie road shoes). How much that matters is up to you but few people use MTB shoes with road bikes.
  • Hmm is there a reason for avoiding MTB shoes? I like the look of the fact I could actually walk in them as I plan on using my bike to commute as well as for longer recreational runs.

Ta
  • Mikey41
    Mikey41 Posts: 690
    I had a good look at SPD shoes as that's what I would prefer to use when I do eventually go clipless. You can get road shoes that are compatible and also Touring shoes, such as:
    http://www.evanscycles.com/products/shi ... s-ec039072
    Giant Defy 2 (2012)
    Giant Defy Advanced 2 (2013)
    Giant Revel 1 Ltd (2013)
    Strava
  • karlth
    karlth Posts: 156
    lotus49 wrote:
    jenno87 wrote:
    A bit of a thread hijack, but saves a new, similar themed thread. I'm looking to get clipless pedals, but quite like the idea of being able to hop on my bike in normal trainers to nip to the shop etc. so I was wondering what are the disadvantages of the double-sided clipless pedals that have one side flat?

Cheers
    The main issue is that they only exist for SPD cleats (ie MTB shoes) and not SPD-SLs (ie road shoes). How much that matters is up to you but few people use MTB shoes with road bikes.

I'd not be too sure about that. I see as many SPDs on road bikes as I do road pedals.
  • Anonymous
    its a feeling of preferences. I find (shimano) SPD SLs are a more connected feel. Look are a bit looser and are what I would describe 'standing on ice' with regard to the float and SPDs are good, and I think the performance gains are marginal, at best. I would definitely recommened SPDs if you do any significant walking. If you want a bit more performance, I would recommend the Shimano ones. I much much prefer the connection, and the cleats on the shoes, although dont last forever, have little sacrificial corners which wear down before the actual cleat does.

Add to that Look cleats are lethal to walk in on any type of polished surface
  • Thebigbee
    Thebigbee Posts: 570
    lotus49 wrote:
    jenno87 wrote:

Cheers

Could you please let us beginners know what study YOUR OPINION is based on?

Completely misleading load of twaddle. Plenty of people use MTB shoes AND pedals on road bikes.

Especially beginners or people who may want to walk more than 400 metres when they are off their bike. Everyone has a number of bodily orifice - best not to talk out of them - especially if you don't parp any truth out of em!
  • lotus49
    Thebigbee wrote:
    lotus49 wrote:
    jenno87 wrote:

Cheers

Completely misleading load of twaddle. Plenty of people use MTB shoes AND pedals on road bikes.

Especially beginners or people who may want to walk more than 400 metres when they are off their bike. Everyone has a number of bodily orifice - best not to talk out of them - especially if you don't parp any truth out of em!

Firstly you are uneccessarily ill-mannered. Are you always that rude to people you don't know (when you aren't sitting in safety behind a computer that is)?

Secondly, I didn't say no-one used SPDs with a road bike but I know a lot of roadies and see far more and the vast majority of them have road cleats on road bikes. Do you dispute that?
  • Thebigbee
    lotus49 wrote:
    Thebigbee wrote:
    lotus49 wrote:
    jenno87 wrote:

Cheers

Firstly you are uneccessarily ill-mannered. Are you always that rude to people you don't know (when you aren't sitting in safety behind a computer that is)?

Secondly, I didn't say no-one used SPDs with a road bike but I know a lot of roadies and see far more and the vast majority of them have road cleats on road bikes. Do you dispute that?

To answer your questions - yes I am. Especially to people who think they know it all and are snobby about what is essentially - riding a bike - and this is a "beginners" thread. Just because I am on the internet means nothing and if you came out with the twaddle that you did in real life I would equally disagree with you.

"Do I dispute that?" - Look pal, this is a road cycling beginners forum. I post to try and help people out.

To expand on your twisted way of looking at things you say that, "few people use MTB shoes with road bikes." and then go on to say, "but I know a lot of roadies and see far more and the vast majority of them have road cleats on road bikes". That is only your experience and opinion, do you dispute that?

I know plenty of people that are happy with these http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=55373 and these http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=3759 namely me and quite a few other people in my club.

And for longer runs where we ain't getting off the bikes a lot of us use road specific shoes.

Think you need to get down off your high horse. Cycling should be encouraged and inclusive - snobbery should come into it when you ain't a beginner anymore - if you are that way inclined!
  • lotus49
    Thebigbee wrote:
    To answer your questions - yes I am. Especially to people who think they know it all and are snobby about what is essentially - riding a bike - and this is a "beginners" thread. Just because I am on the internet means nothing and if you came out with the twaddle that you did in real life I would equally disagree with you.

We are cyclists and this is not YouTube or a football forum and it is as inappropriate to be ill-mannered here as it is in real life. I am quite prepared to accept that you are as ill-mannered elsewhere as you are here but you should learn to behave like a civilised person in both places.
  • Thebigbee
    lotus49 wrote:
    Thebigbee wrote:

We are cyclists and this is not YouTube or a football forum and it is as inappropriate to be ill-mannered here as it is in real life. I am quite prepared to accept that you are as ill-mannered elsewhere as you are here but you should learn to behave like a civilised person in both places.

Please don't hesitate to inform us when you have removed that stick from the hole that you rabbit on out of!

You will be at least infinitely more interesting. For the 95% of normal, decent and helpful people on the internet there is always gonna be a small percentage that get off on being like you.

Personally I don't get it - but sure you and your "roadie" pro pals do.

Enjoy.

Edit* - I sure do hope that the 49 in your name doesn't relate to your age. I ain't anywhere near that old and don't feel the need to be snide on the internet. But if I was, and did, I'd really start questioning why I was such a miserable 49 year old.

Am sure you ain't.

That old.

Just a misery....

Time to grow up methinks....

LOL
  • I started using SPDs (not SLs) on a racer just this week after using flats for about 6 months. They're a massive improvement. Having a flat side would be handy as well, though. I pulled up to the driveway after my first ride, unclipped nice and early and coasted to the door with my foot resting on the pedal and it re-rengaged without my noticing. Lol I proper keeled over when I came to a stop.
  • Mikey23
    Mikey23 Posts: 5,306
    M520s and MTb shoes for this road bike bunny... Works for me
  • tigert
    tigert Posts: 8
    M324's and MTB shoes for me on both my Road and Treking bike. Due to issues with my feet, I need clips to ride comfortably, but also need shoes I can walk in. These do the job nicely.
    Trek Emonda SL6
    Trek Madone 9.9 (arriving soon)
    Brompton