Gun nuts - US of A

mudcow007
mudcow007 Posts: 3,861
edited October 2012 in Commuting chat
just got an email off a bloke i worked with. he is from Liverpool but we moved him over to Exton - Pensylvania a few years ago to open a branch up for us over there

he got his US citizenship so can own a gun now

for his 35th his wife just bought him a AK47 semi automatic

:shock:
Keeping it classy since '83

Comments

• Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    Like you wouldn't give your right nut to fire a Barret 50 cal sniper rifile...

Barret_50cal__Sniper_Rifle_by_lucariofan666.jpg
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    When you absolutely, positively have to kill every moth$%f*cker in the room
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • rubertoe
    rubertoe Posts: 3,994
    Like he needed to go all the way to the US of A to get hold of one - he worked in Liverpool FFS.
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
    B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    TWH & FossyAnt have just done that for nothing more than casual sex though.

Is just me that never sees images at work on these threads?
  • Kieran_Burns
    CiB wrote:
    TWH & FossyAnt have just done that for nothing more than casual sex though.

Is just me that never sees images at work on these threads?

Just you but I know why :P
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337

I worked one summer at the Royal Ordnance factory in Enfield when it existed - I got to fire a 50mm cannon down the range - now one of those would be seriously cool when a bus cuts you up! 8) :twisted: 8) :twisted: 8)
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
  • mudcow007

isnt that a cgi barret?

an yes i would mucho give all love spuds to pop a few caps from a 50 cal

anyone seen the video of the guy firing a barret one handed :shock:
  • FoldingJoe
    FoldingJoe Posts: 1,327
    644706_10151303753660934_676484910_n.jpg:)
    Little boy to Obama: "My Dad says that you read all our emails"
    Obama to little boy: "He's not your real Dad"

Kona Honky Tonk for sale: http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=40090&t=13000807
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    I fired a few fun guns with the SAS in Jersey. They had a van full of guns just chucked into the back like discarded toys and then came opened the side door which had several crates of ammunition and just said

"Go on then boys, turn these rounds into empty cases"

M4, Sig 552, AK47, Sniper rifle (this wasn't a Barret as it was single shot with a 10 round magazine), Mp5, uzis.

It was awesome
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Fired a few interesting guns while in the navy, mostly Brit/American stuff but we were taught how to use an AK47....

The Americans manage every year to have 35,000 deaths due to gunshot injuries (yep 100 a day average) - not a surprise really!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • mudcow007
    Fired a few interesting guns while in the navy, mostly Brit/American stuff but we were taught how to use an AK47....

The Americans manage every year to have 35,000 deaths due to gunshot injuries (yep 100 a day average) - not a surprise really!

i mentioned this my mate yesterday an he said "that's rubbish"

he said its safer because you can protect your house from burglars an shoot if they enter your property :shock:

so i said what about burglars that carry guns because they know house owners might have one
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Tony Martin ftw.

:roll:
  • rebs
    rebs Posts: 891
    I'm happy with my SA80 A2 L85 :o)
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    rebs wrote:

Aha - I was at Enfield just as that was being launched. I can't say what I did to help launch it but it was a lot of fun :wink:
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • paulg99
    paulg99 Posts: 55
    rebs wrote:
    Rustbucket.
  • Big_Paul
    Big_Paul Posts: 277
    mudcow007 wrote:

he said its safer because you can protect your house from burglars an shoot if they enter your property :shock:

so i said what about burglars that carry guns because they know house owners might have one

Can't think of anything less suitable to take on a burglar with than an AK-47, he's liable to shoot at the burglar and the bullet go through the wall and kill whoever is in the next room.
    Disc Trucker
    Kona Ute
    Rockrider 8.1
    Evil Resident
    Day 01 Disc
    Viking Derwent Tandem
    Planet X London Road
  • Kieran_Burns
    Big_Paul wrote:
    mudcow007 wrote:

Can't think of anything less suitable to take on a burglar with than an AK-47, he's liable to shoot at the burglar and the bullet go through the wall and kill whoever is in the next room.

The SLR?

That would probably go through 3 or 4 houses and still kill the occupants in all of them.
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
  • mtb-idle
    mtb-idle Posts: 2,179
    edited October 2012
    quite glad the laws different here but I can't help but love guns.

I love watching American Guns on Discovery, great stuff.

Fired a few myself in my youth as my school had a cadet force. Great fun firing live rounds at aged 14, 15 and 16

Marksman with Lee Enfield mk II .303 at 100, 200 and 400 yards

marksman with Lee Enfield converted to .22 at indoor range at TA barracks in Stonecot Hill

fired a Browning automatic pistol, Sten gun, Bren gun, at various cadet camps at Warcop and Crowborough as well as setting off thunderflashes, setting up ambushes etc. Cool beans.
    FCN = 4
  • Kieran_Burns
    MTB-Idle wrote:
    quite glad the laws different here but I can't help but love guns.

I love watching American Guns on Discovery, great stuff.

Fired a few myself in my youth as my school had a cadet force. Great fun firing live rounds at aged 14, 15 and 16

Marksman with Lee Enfield mk II .303 at 100, 200 and 400 yards

marksman with Lee Enfield converted to .22 at indoor range at TA barracks in Stonecot Hill

fired a Browning automatic pistol, Sten gun, Bren gun, at various cadet camps at Warcop and Crowborough as well as setting of thunderflashes, setting up ambushes etc. Cool beans.

*cough* Paige *cough* :lol::wink:
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
  • Hoopdriver
    Hoopdriver Posts: 2,023
    I grew up in small twn America and did quite a lot of shooting as a kid. Big bore rifle, small bore rifle, trap shooting and pistol. I really enjoyed it.
  • Kieran_Burns
    229858_297263053721177_1302993707_n.jpg

Yup completely sensible. :lol:
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
  • mudcow007
    the actual gun

gun_zps231e4b0f.jpg
  • gbsahne001
    gbsahne001 Posts: 1,973
    on the same vein as this, did any of you see Panorama this week, where they delved into the gun culture in the USA and the controversial "stand your ground" law, which has seen gun related deaths increase significantly in the states that have adopted it.
  • twist83
    twist83 Posts: 761

Nothing stopping you owning one here! You can have a bolt action version of the above on an FAC. There is a 50 Cal shooters club. I have been once or twice and it is a great experience. Owning one is another matter. They cost £6K+ and then you need to factor in glass, the monster cabinet needed to house them, a massive car to transport them and high ammo costs.

In fact I think a lot of people would be surprised what can still be kept on ticket these days on a Section 1. I have shot my entire life with a small break after the Pistol ban in 1997. I also make yearly or every 2 yearly trips to Kentucky for a weeks shooting and sometimes over to Germany/Spain to shoot as well.
  • Greg T
    Greg T Posts: 3,266
    rebs wrote:

What's that?
    Fixed gear for wet weather / hairy roadie for posing in the sun.

What would Thora Hurd do?
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Current standard issue rifle in the UK army.

L85 refers to the fact that the barrel is 85 times the diameter of the projectile (5.76mm).

The Americans really do slaughter circa 35,000 people a year with guns - and another 35,000 on the roads.

Once made a homemade 'gun' using an aluminiumm cigar tube, drill, some wood and a banger and ball bearing....that went straight through the corrugated iron shed including a piece of 4x4" frame.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Greg T
    edited October 2012
    oops

• Greg T
    Current standard issue rifle in the UK army.

L85 refers to the fact that the barrel is 85 times the diameter of the projectile (5.76mm).

Ahem - Wah

Also . . .

5.56mm x 45mm nato standard round.

• twist83
    twist83 Posts: 761
    I have only ever shot the SA80 three times. Once many years ago at a Naval base on work Experience. Later again at a Naval base with the later model and someone at our club has a straight pull version of it on ticket. Also I have shot several times the Steyr AUG which is a similar bullpup design and layout.

Not a big fan compared to the M4 Platform like the US Military and Special Forces use which I have put thousands of rounds through during 3 Gun matches in the states. The M4 is far more flexible and ergonomically superior to the SA80. Plus with it being so popular there is nothing you cannot attach to or modify to make it better.

However I guess for your average soldier as long as it goes bang it doesnt matter. However under stress the M4 is far more user friendly to operate.

Obviously you cannot compare the stress of a quick mag change in a practical competition environment to a war situation but the principles apply.

The AK I have shot numerous times and in numerous variants. .22, 7.62 Short in Full Auto, Semi and straight pull. Fun to shoot but not very accurate but good as a plinker.