LONDON

124»

Comments

• peat
    peat Posts: 1,242
    Has this just descending into who has lives the most comfortable London life with a good mixture of who knows the coolest/snobbiest/inverse snobbiest places?

Come on, it's Bike Radar....
  • Had to take PT today due to commitments later on... Got on the bus, a girl's Oyster didn't work, she seemed a bit desperate to get to work or wherever, pleading with the bus driver, so I paid her fare. See, we're not all that bad :)
    Why? Because I'm guaranteed a seat all the way in.

Brompton SL2
    Ridley Icarus SLS
  • peat
    peat Posts: 1,242
    ...and then what?
  • kieranb
    kieranb Posts: 1,674
    Go for a dip in one of the many lidos (some heated some not)
    Theatre - try the Menier and do the meal deal.

But, to be honest we are only in London as this is where our jobs are, I love London but would like to be nearer the sea and/or mountains.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,767
    kieranb wrote:
    But, to be honest we are only in London as this is where our jobs are, I love London but would like to be nearer the sea and/or mountains.
    Don't really agree with this, might apply to some though. I could walk into a job outside London for one of our competitors and have a bigger house. But, I don't want to.
    I live in a great area within walking distance of Richmond Park, Kingston town centre and the river. Easy access to lots of other places as well. Yet the road I live on is quiet and I know all of my neighbours and get on well with them.
    For my purposes I live in one of the best areas of what is one of the worlds great cities. Why would I live anywhere else?
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    Had to take PT today due to commitments later on... Got on the bus, a girl's Oyster didn't work, she seemed a bit desperate to get to work or wherever, pleading with the bus driver, so I paid her fare. See, we're not all that bad :)

The driver could have let her on the bus with an Unpaid Fare Notice.
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • Ben6899 wrote:
    Had to take PT today due to commitments later on... Got on the bus, a girl's Oyster didn't work, she seemed a bit desperate to get to work or wherever, pleading with the bus driver, so I paid her fare. See, we're not all that bad :)

She asked for a slip of some kind, he said no. What an arse, if that's the case. I just thought of those women who had been in the news recently when the drivers refused to let them on and something terrible happened. OK, it was 8am, and she should have been more organised, but still.

Brompton SL2
    Ridley Icarus SLS
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    Ben6899 wrote:

She asked for a slip of some kind, he said no. What an ars*, if that's the case. I just thought of those women who had been in the news recently when the drivers refused to let them on and something terrible happened. OK, it was 8am, and she should have been more organised, but still.

I jumped on the bus home the other night (I usually walk) because I wanted to ride my bike in daylight and I left the office a little later than planned. I could have sworn I had ~£2 on my Oyster, but evidently not. I was about to get off the bus - annoyed with myself - and walk to the pub in a huff, when the driver called me back and gave me the UFN.

It's based on trust and it's a good system, so of course I paid it back. In cash.
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    Has this just descending into who has lives the most comfortable London life with a good mixture of who knows the coolest/snobbiest/inverse snobbiest places?

I can join in.

For all this Harwood arms chat, I've never seen any of you in there and it's my local boozer.

Pub quiz is fun.

I only go there for the odd meal. Sadly I'm yet to find a decent boozer in Wandsworth Town.
  • veronese68

I can join in.

For all this Harwood arms chat, I've never seen any of you in there and it's my local boozer.

Pub quiz is fun.

I only go there for the odd meal. Sadly I'm yet to find a decent boozer in Wandsworth Town.
    The Alma used to be ok, about 20 years ago. I once worked in the Two Brewers to help out a mate, what a hole.
  • msmancunia
    msmancunia Posts: 1,415

See, it's when things like that happen that make me realise that London's actually pretty good. Had a similar occurance on the tube a couple of years ago - girl had coughing fit and the whole carriage seemed to offer her mints, water, a good slap on the back etc. Good on you, GB :)
    Commute: Chadderton - Sportcity
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,337
    Veronese68 wrote:

I can join in.

Pub quiz is fun.

The Alma used to be ok, about 20 years ago. I once worked in the Two Brewers to help out a mate, what a hole.

It changed hands a while back, and it's not quite what it was. Serviceable, but not outstanding.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    The best pub in London is the Norbury on London road in Norbury. That's if you want a proper boozer where you can never be too sure what pint your getting or if your gonna have a conversation or a fight.

WHAT I love about London is that everyones 'London' is different. Even though we live 5 or so miles of each other (I think), my London is different to dhope, notsoblue, Rjsterry, ILPrince, Greg's T and 66 and *spit* Chasey *spit*.

London is diverse enough and provides enough options for no single place to be the best option without giving an alternate option and then other options if you want something different.

I like it. It works for me.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • TheStone
    TheStone Posts: 2,291
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    London is diverse enough and provides enough options for no single place to be the best option without giving an alternate option and then other options if you want something different.

.... but we're not including East* London, right?

(* I'm including E&C in that)
    exercise.png
  • veronese68
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    The best pub in London is the Norbury on London road in Norbury. That's if you want a proper boozer where you can never be too sure what pint your getting or if your gonna have a conversation or a fight.

WHAT I love about London is that everyones 'London' is different. Even though we live 5 or so miles of each other (I think), my London is different to dhope, notsoblue, Rjsterry, ILPrince, Greg's T and 66 and *spit* Chasey *spit*.

I like it. It works for me.
    And there's so much to do and so many people that it's easy to avoid the people and places you don't like.
  • warreng
    warreng Posts: 535
    Moved from Balham to Epsom over 10 years ago due to impending fatherhood and there isn't a day goes by I don't miss it.
    2015 Cervelo S3
    2016 Santa Cruz 5010
    2016 Genesis Croix de Fer
  • msmancunia wrote:

See, it's when things like that happen that make me realise that London's actually pretty good. Had a similar occurance on the tube a couple of years ago - girl had coughing fit and the whole carriage seemed to offer her mints, water, a good slap on the back etc. Good on you, GB :)

Yes, well played GB. Did you get her number?
    Nobody told me we had a communication problem
  • msmancunia wrote:

Nah, she asked for contact details, but it was just a couple of quid. It's not like I ever get PT, either, and after the episode it took to get home last night, will be looking for every excuse in the book never to get PT ever again! :)

Brompton SL2
    Ridley Icarus SLS
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    rjsterry wrote:
    Veronese68 wrote:

I can join in.

Pub quiz is fun.

It changed hands a while back, and it's not quite what it was. Serviceable, but not outstanding.

It's a Youngs pub and I don't really like Youngs Beer. There's not many pubs in Wandsworth that aren't Youngs (hardly a surprise). There's the East Hill but they have no idea how to keep beer - their Doombar is consistently terrible.
  • veronese68
    It's a Youngs pub and I don't really like Youngs Beer.
    You're right, Wandsworth is not the ideal place for you pub wise. As for not keeping beer well, that's unforgiveable.
  • warreng
    warreng Posts: 535
    You're not far from the Cask by Pimlico tube station though
    2015 Cervelo S3
    2016 Santa Cruz 5010
    2016 Genesis Croix de Fer
  • willhub
    willhub Posts: 821
    I'm in the city most of tomorrow I think and then getting dizzy round Richmond Park on Sunday.

Off to see the Wellcome Collection on Sat and I'll read the list provided on here as well.
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    rjsterry wrote:
    Veronese68 wrote:

I can join in.

Pub quiz is fun.

the Telegraph near Putney Heath? http://www.thetelegraphputney.co.uk/

It's a Youngs pub and I don't really like Youngs Beer. There's not many pubs in Wandsworth that aren't Youngs (hardly a surprise). There's the East Hill but they have no idea how to keep beer - their Doombar is consistently terrible.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    msmancunia wrote:

Nah, she asked for contact details, but it was just a couple of quid. It's not like I ever get PT, either, and after the episode it took to get home last night, will be looking for every excuse in the book never to get PT ever again! :)
    Missed opportunity there.
    When a female asks for your number is is not always for the reason given.
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    rjsterry wrote:
    Veronese68 wrote:

I can join in.

Pub quiz is fun.

I used to like The Old Sargent on Garratt Lane. Don't think food was much cop though.

Is the tapas place still in on Old York Rd? Can't remember what the food was like, too trollied on their cocktails.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • veronese68
    daviesee wrote:
    msmancunia wrote:

Probably not the reason you're thinking. Although I've never met the girl I'm pretty certain GB is also a girl of the female persuasion.
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    Veronese68 wrote:
    daviesee wrote:
    Probably not the reason you're thinking. Although I've never met the girl I'm pretty certain GB is also a girl of the female persuasion.
    Don't discount it. :wink:
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • willhub
    willhub Posts: 821
    http://app.strava.com/rides/25497604

Damn, slowest 30+ miles I've ever done, thought it'd have being quieter tonight, traffic was mental. Got lost too.
  • Veronese68 wrote:
    daviesee wrote:
    msmancunia wrote:

Yep, I'm a girl! :)

Brompton SL2
    Ridley Icarus SLS