Standardised punishment for doping

DonDaddyD
DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
edited October 2012 in Pro race
It seems that punishment for doping varies from country to country. Is there anyway that the UCI could achieve parity between all the national cycling authorities, so that there is an agreement that if a pro-cyclist is found with x-banned substance in their system they are banned for x-number of years/life?

Right now, you'd have to question every Spanish and Luxembourg cyclist (though there are not many of the latter).
Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game

Comments

• iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    This is defined by the WADA code. If a country is a signatory to it they'll follow those rules.
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    iainf72 wrote:
    This is defined by the WADA code. If a country is a signatory to it they'll follow those rules in their own way.

Fixed that for you.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,179
    They SHOULD follow the rules. If they don't WADA will generally take matters to CAS though won't they? I would do away with back-dated bans though as these tend to get abused to allow riders back in for important international competitions.
  • Pross wrote:
    They SHOULD follow the rules. If they don't WADA will generally take matters to CAS though won't they? I would do away with back-dated bans though as these tend to get abused to allow riders back in for important international competitions.

Agree with your point re back-dated bans - they're farcical
  • graeme_s-2
    graeme_s-2 Posts: 3,382
    Pross wrote:
    I would do away with back-dated bans though as these tend to get abused to allow riders back in for important international competitions.
    They also make it in the rider's best interests to delay proceedings and protest them as long as they possibly can, as they're able to continue riding in the mean time, with a back dated ban they can then "serve" a 2 year ban having only missed a few months of racing.
  • Yellow Peril
    Yellow Peril Posts: 4,466
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    It seems that punishment for doping varies from country to country. Is there anyway that the UCI could achieve parity between all the national cycling authorities, so that there is an agreement that if a pro-cyclist is found with x-banned substance in their system they are banned for x-number of years/life?

Right now, you'd have to question every Spanish and Luxembourg cyclist (though there are not many of the latter).

FTFY
    @JaunePeril

Winner of the Bike Radar Pro Race Wiggins Hour Prediction Competition
  • News in Australia saying Armstrong could lose his TT medal from Sydney. Interesting... I thought there was a limit of 8 years for Olympic medals to be taken off people!

Maybe Armstrong is a special case that will make the IOC look tough. It is a shame they allowed a previously banned rider to win in London
  • liquor box wrote:
    News in Australia saying Armstrong could lose his TT medal from Sydney. Interesting... I thought there was a limit of 8 years for Olympic medals to be taken off people!

Maybe Armstrong is a special case that will make the IOC look tough. It is a shame they allowed a previously banned rider to win in London

At this rate, they might as well award all the maillot jaunes and Oly TT titles to Boardman - irrespective of whether or not he actually competed in every one of them :)
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD wrote:

FTFY
    I don't get it.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • steerpike
    steerpike Posts: 424
    Oh look who's back. Mr 'WAAAAAA I don't believe Lance doped and never will!'

Any update on this stance?
  • DonDaddyD
    steerpike wrote:
    Oh look who's back. Mr 'WAAAAAA I don't believe Lance doped and never will!'

Any update on this stance?
    Yes actually, it appears that he probably did dope and is likely to have been guilty of the other stuff he is accused of. The 'Reasoned Decision' as a legal document is case bought against the defendant. It is not the absolute truth as it stands.

But there is a thread in the commuting section for that.
    Food Chain number = 4

• Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 7,402
    The starting tariff is too low across all sports - should be 5 years, so as to miss two Olympics / World Cups, and a major chunk out of a career. The tariff could then be reduced depending upon circumstances.

Sanctions also shouldn't be left to national bodies where they have clearly been seen to be not willing to enforce the rules - eg Spain.
  • MrTapir
    MrTapir Posts: 1,206
    I think all dopers should be banned for infinity billion years
  • steerpike
    steerpike Posts: 424
    ban third rate trolls and the willfully one-eyed from Pro Race!
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,179
    MrTapir wrote:

Not long enough - you are a doping apologist!
  • MrTapir
    MrTapir Posts: 1,206
    Pross wrote:
    MrTapir wrote:

Not long enough - you are a doping apologist!

:D
  • Redhog14
    Redhog14 Posts: 1,377
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    It seems that punishment for doping varies from country to country. Is there anyway that the UCI could achieve
    - see you lost it right there...
    parity between all the national cycling authorities, so that there is an agreement that if a pro-cyclist is found with x-banned substance in their system they are banned for x-number of years/life?

• MrTapir wrote:

Yep. If there's one thing we know, its that harsh punishments deter people. That's why there are no murders in Texas.
  • I don't know how anyone can possibly think the UCI can be trusted to sort anything out while BIG Pat is still at the helm.
    Currently, and for some reasonable time, the UCI seems to have become tarnished and its whole credibility put in doubt.
  • MrTapir wrote:

Yep. If there's one thing we know, its that harsh punishments deter people. That's why there are no murders in Texas.
    Harsh punnishments would work better than no punnishments
  • RDW
    RDW Posts: 1,900
    MrTapir wrote:

Rather than banning them, I suggest they should be obliged to continue cycling in a modified fashion, using a combination of this technology:

tandem.jpg

and this revolutionary procedure:

Human-Centiped-poster.jpg

The result can be exhibited before the Prologue of every TdF, 'pour encourager les autres'.