Mavic hub axle adaptors?

yetibagpuss
yetibagpuss Posts: 34
edited October 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi all,

I've a pair of Mavic Crossmax SLR's. Theyre about 08-09 ish (I think), all black rims, bladed black spokes, one red bladed spoke with a tiny Mavic logo and the SLR in big stretched out text. The front wheel is 100mm x 9mm QR and I wanted to confirm that I can use adapters to beef the front axle up to 15mm or 20mm to stiffen up my front end? Ideally just 15mm as I'm looking at a pair of FOX Float 32's with a 15mm thru axle......although finding anything 32x120x15mm with a straight steerer is a bit tough! Everything seems to be going tapered these days and my little old YETI Ti frame is a bit old skool?

So, does anyone know if I can pull my Mavic axle out and swap the gubbins to run a 15mm??

Many thanks chaps and chapesses!!!
YETI ASX
YETI 575
YETI DJ
YETI ARC Titanium
YETI 303

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    you need to know the exact year.

08 i think not.

09 yes to 15 but not 20mm as that is a different hub.

exact info needed so i would take the front wheel to a Mavic dealer.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    If you're struggling to find a fork speak to your LBS. I recently had a custom RS fork made for a customer and I'd assume that mojo would offer a similar service.
  • Thanks Nick. I had a feeling the 08 was a no and then onward was possible. They're 08's I think for sure http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=15750

Sadly both of my LBS's that are Mavic dealers are pretty dire. Their customer service is shocking and the staff so bloomin arrogant and snotty it drives everyone nuts!

I think 9mm is my only option, so perhaps both loosing the QR skewer and going with a Control Tech Race skewer, and a more modern, stiffer FOX fork (as opposed to a pair of 08 RockShox SID Teams) will hopefully stiffen me up a tad. The front end at the moment has almost an inch either way at the contact point with the ground, plus the forks have unacceptible brake dive and generally are headed to the great auction site in the sky!!! LOL

Oh and mr Ride Whenever.....my budget wont stretch to custom build forks.....not unless I can get a pair for under £500!!!

Thanks guys
    YETI ASX
    YETI 575
    YETI DJ
    YETI ARC Titanium
    YETI 303