Overshoes guidance - Road / MTB

dvoodoo
dvoodoo Posts: 46
edited October 2012 in MTB buying advice
I am currently looking to get a pair of overshoes to be used for the cold / wet scottish winter. I ride a mix of road / commute and mountain biking a number of times a week and decided after taking 2 hours to let my toes thaw out last night.

I ride Shimano road shoes with SPD-SL on my road bike and Shimano with SPD on the mountain bike (flats in the summer for full trails). As such I am looking for a set of overshoes that I can use with the 2 SPD / SPD-SL setups. What is the view on the forum regarding the best overshoes to go for?

Comments

• welshkev
    welshkev Posts: 9,690
    have you considered seal skin socks? your shoes will get wet but your feet should stay taosty and dry :D
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    Trouble with overshoes on the MTB is that any amount of walking tends to trash the toes incredibly quickly, particularly if you have toe studs. I used to use Pro ones which were excellent, something like the H20. Go for velcro on the MTB, zips don't last long with mud and grit.

Now use Northwave Celcius/Fahrenheit boots, which work work, but are a more expensive solution.

As long as you're happy that they will only last one winter if you do a fair amount of MTBing then I'd recommend Pro ones. I tried Seal Skinz but didn't find them very good myself.
  • Greer_
    Greer_ Posts: 1,716
    I used the planet x overshoes last winter and they worked fine. I really wouldn't expect much more than a few good months riding from them though as they just have a tendency to get ripped. Waterproof socks would definitely be worth a go.
  • YeehaaMcgee
    YeehaaMcgee Posts: 5,740
    Not much advice from me, except to avoid Endura overshoes.
    I tried them this summer, to keep my feet dry whilst riding to work - it was warm enough, so I wasn - t bothered abotu the rest of me - and they were entirely useless. In one, 10 minute ride home in moderate room, my shoes were soaked through and ruined.

One thing that definitely does work for me is Endura's waterproof leggings, over walking boots (yes, even on the roadie), that way you can practically ride underwater and you'll be fine.