Maratona dles Dolomites 2013

3Pears
3Pears Posts: 174
Anyone else successfully managed to enter this event for next year, either through Cycling Weekly or Holimites.com ?

Quite a number of us entered via Holimites on Monday :P

Comments

• derek48
    derek48 Posts: 67
    Two of us managed to get entries through Cycling Weekly. We're going to make a two week holiday out of it, so looking for advice/recommendations regarding camp sites in the area. There are two listed on the official site, but are there any others within a reasonable distance?
  • mamba80
    mamba80 Posts: 5,032
    yes got entry, for 2 of us, staying in an Appartment.
    The camp site in San Cassiano is really good, as is the Rosa Alpina restaurant on the sunday evening :)

how r u getting there? we er coming up from Cornwall.
  • Rich.H
    Rich.H Posts: 443
    I've secured entries for me, my son and a mate of mine through Cycling Weekly.

I gained an entry through the ballot last year but as we are planning a short family holiday around the event in 2013, I did not want to take any chances. Our hotel is already booked, in La Villa, as last year.

Whilst my mate and I have a done a few European events now, this will be my sons first. He is going to love it.....

Rich
  • 3Pears
    Yeah 14 of us entered :P

I transport bikes down in a van with 2 others, company / co-drivers. The rest fly over.

Looking forward to the week preceding the event, some fantastic rides to enjoy before the Maratona :lol:

Good luck with everyone's training :D
  • I've got myself a place care of Ian. So this is my first time at a continental sportive.

However as a singleton does anyone out there want to share a hotel reservation prior to the event? Just thinking there maybe other odd numbered groups, if you follow my logic.

Keen to see the terrain! From what i have heard its not like my local Devon hills.
    faitduvelo.wordpress.com
  • elcani
    elcani Posts: 280
    Five of us going, going to be 'fun'!
  • Anyone still looking to enter the Maratona dles Dolomites this year or know of someone who is?

We have guaranteed entries available inc 4 night accomm in twin room. The apartment is located in La Villa, very close to the start.

Best regards,
    Luis
    tours@highcadencecycling.com
    http://www.highcadencecyclingtours.com
  • shisaa
    shisaa Posts: 82
    I'm going with Cycling Weekly too. Entered for the 1st time, will be heading there with gf.

Will be spending the next 2 months trying to lose some weight and getting ready for the Passo Giau I think!
  • phreak
    phreak Posts: 2,906
    Hope the weather improves for this. Looks like wall to wall rain from now until the 30th!
  • Barbarossa
    Barbarossa Posts: 248
  • phreak
    Barbarossa wrote:

Hmm, that looks more like it. I did a Google for 'weather Corvara' and these two were the top two results

http://www.weather-forecast.com/locatio ... sts/latest

http://www.accuweather.com/en/it/corvar ... ast/216243
  • robbo2011
    robbo2011 Posts: 1,017
    To be honest, I don't want it too hot anyway. 20degC would be perfect for me.

It's hot and sunny (30degC) here this weekend, so an ideal chance to do some acclimatisation. Last weekend I did a climb of roughly the same length and gradient as Passo Giau. It's tough.
  • Yep I went over the Passo Giau on Thursday and despite lots of packed snow on top it was hot going up (and then freezing going down), and its got a lot hotter here in Italy since then. Not much tree cover on the Passo and oh boy is it a long way to the top!

I'll post a recce report and pictures on my blog of the whole route - part one today.
  • 3Pears
    Nice preview blog Andy, Thanks.

Apparently 19degrees on top of Passo Giau today 8)
  • Last Thursday on the Giau I had 29 celsius at 1964m height (that's with 270m more climbing to go) and it was 25 on top despite being surrounded by snow.

On Sunday on the Croce d'Aune climb it was 36deg temp during the Granfondo Sportful.

I've recently picked up on how all the Italians wear little skull caps or bandanas under their helmets when its super hot and I can now recommend it - absorbs all the sweat off your head so you don't have a stream running down your sunglasses.

Second part of the Maratona recce is up on the blog today and covers the Giau.
  • bigpikle
    bigpikle Posts: 1,690
    If you havent done it before then just be aware how cold it still gets on those descents and at some altitude.

Last year was 30+ degrees in the valleys and lower climbs but by the top it was still cold in places and I remember shivering down a couple of descents even with a l/sleeve windproof rain jacket on. The Giau was scorching on the way up and people were pushing each other out the way for the little water fountain half way up and there was a guy hosing people down near the top - not a good idea as you were still wet as you crested the top and then froze down the other side!

If you're out there this year then have a great ride and stay safe - the number of serious crashes was astounding and there was barely a moment on the descents when you didnt hear an ambulance going and even the air ambulance for 1 poor person last time. There are plenty of people who cant descend for toffee and are flippin dangerous so watch yourselves!
    Your Past is Not Your Potential...
  • Barbarossa
    Barbarossa Posts: 248
    Barbarossa wrote:

Oops! Wrong Corvara. http://www.tempoitalia.it/meteo/corvara-in-badia-corvara is the right one.

Showers and 16° max for the 30th - Just like riding in the UK! :wink:
  • phreak
    Barbarossa wrote:
    Barbarossa wrote:

Oops! Wrong Corvara. http://www.tempoitalia.it/meteo/corvara-in-badia-corvara is the right one.

Showers and 16° max for the 30th - Just like riding in the UK! :wink:

:lol: You had me dreaming for a minute there. Hopefully it will just be showers rather than constant rain. Be nice to get out each day in the week leading up to Sunday.

Must say though, am really looking forward to the week. Should be great.
  • mamba80
    Yep I went over the Passo Giau on Thursday and despite lots of packed snow on top it was hot going up (and then freezing going down), and its got a lot hotter here in Italy since then. Not much tree cover on the Passo and oh boy is it a long way to the top!

I'll post a recce report and pictures on my blog of the whole route - part one today.

I ve done 5 of these and obviously your opinions of the Falzarego and Valporola climb/descent but mine has always been one of utter relief, quickly followed by " bl00dy hell this hard" especially as though the overall gradient is 4%, there is a long secton of flat in it! the 2nd part of the climb is fairly twisty and by this time of day, is very hot with little shade - maybe this year it ll be in the rain????
    The final climb from the feedstation up the Valporola is soul destroying, it looks like nothing at all but is just a 2.5km straight ramp to the top BUT followed by the most gorgeous descent ever, speeds can reach well over 50mph, be brave and dont touch the brakes on the long straight-ish sections! at this point you know its all over and you ve just got that finishing ramp up to Corvara, which strangely at the start seems flat but will now be a long up hill climb, usually into a head wind :)

As for accidents, well there is close to 10,000 riders and maybe 2 or 3 serious accidents - this is no uk sportive, much more like a race - i ve found the riding std to be very high and the only time some dxxk tried to kill me was a guy call Tarquin (a uk rider) on the descent of the Giau.
  • airwise
    airwise Posts: 241
    I'd agree with mamba, the Valparola is a nightmare if you underestimate it. Hold something back for it. Take a caffeine gel at the top and enjoy the fabulous descent towards the finish. Watch out for descending Brits - sadly many can be somewhat hazardous as they are not used to descending mountain passes and lack the skills. The overall standard of riding in Italy is far higher than in England so there is little to worry about there.
  • dsoutar
    dsoutar Posts: 1,746
    Strangely when I've done it I struggled with the Giau but romped up the Falzarego / Valparola and it's probably the only bit in the circuit I passed a significant amount of people (although I found the 2km or so between them a bit depressing as you forget you're not actually at the start of the descent until you're over the Valparola)
  • airwise
    I arrived in Corvara last night. Splendid as ever. I'm in my motorhome in the campsite so if anyone fancies a ride or needs a tool kit PM me. My friends arrive next weekend but Sella Ronda bike day is always a rare treat. Weather looking unsettled....
  • airwise
    Weather update. Best be prepared for anything this year.

This is the campsite this morning in Corvara

P1030451_zps59482c71.jpg

The outlook is sadly very poor. It's now predicted to rain fairly heavily all of the weekend with snow above 2200m. I remember doing the Sportful in 2010 in similar conditions and they cancelled the long route.

I feel really sorry for the organisors as this really does put a dampener on the week. It should at least be cold and dry tomorrow and most of Wednesday.

I might have a spare entry..
  • phreak
    Did the Sella Ronda route this morning and whilst it was undoubtably cold descending from the Pordoi, it had warmed up a bit by the time we got back to Corvara. Should be said that we rode it without things like shoe covers or winter gloves so it would probably have been ok with the right kit.

The forecast this week appears to be showers in the afternoon, with the mornings largely ok, so I guess if nothing else it gives you an incentive to get a move on :)
  • phreak
    Went out again this morning, covering the Campolongo, Ferdai, Pordoi and Campolongo. Weather was dry but pretty fresh. Not a problem going up but coming down is pretty nippy. If you have the right kit though you'll be fine.
  • phreak
    Weather update for today. Went out for a loop covering the Gardena and Passo della Erbe. Leaving at around 8am the temp was 3c. Whilst the ride up Gardena was lovely because it was in the sun, the descent the other side was a different proposition. Incredibly cold. By the time the Erbe was scaled it had warmed up a bit and layers were being shed. By the time we got back to Corvara it was 20c. Sunny all day though, despite forecasts for afternoon rain.
  • mamba80
    Very local weather then - we saw a max of 14 C and rain - Our ride round the sella ronda anti clockwise, was ok but v. glad we didnt leave it later than 0900 start - rain by 1600 and then snow by the time we left the bar in San cassiano @ 2100 - hunt for knee warmers and long fingered gloves for sunday :((((( max temp for sunday is 13C with rain showers.....
  • Rich.H
    Rich.H Posts: 443
    At breakfast this morning, the view from the dining room from our hotel in La Villa suggested we would have a very wet, cold and miserable ride today.

By the time we left at 12.30pm, the roads were pretty much dry and we enjoyed a pleasant spin to Corvara and then up and back down the Campolongo. Plenty of snow around but nothing to trouble us on the road. The descent back to Corvara was chilly but not too bad so we turned left towards Colfosco and climbed the Gardena before againing descending back through Corvara to La Villa. In all, a thoroughly enjoyable ride which came as a bit of a surprise. The reasonable weather this afternoon has bought a lot more riders out.....

The forecast for Sunday now looks ok - cool but dry. I will happily take that given some of what we have seen this week!

Good luck to all

Rich
  • Amazing weather and fantastic views as ever - hope the forum participants did well and enjoyed themselves. The lower temperatures ( although the Giau was still c. 30c by my bike computer) and my greater fitness level meant I knocked almost 50 mins off last year's time. Thanks to Ian Parr and Cycling Weekly!
  • phreak
    Yes, I thought the weather was perfect in the end. Bit nippy in the morning, but nothing too bad, and better than it's been all week. Knocked around 40 minutes off the last time I did it so happy enough with that. Always a good day out.