waterproofs...breathable don't think so!

2»

Comments

• ElliesDad
    ElliesDad Posts: 245
    I used to a lot of mountaineering years ago in my twenties, so got to know quite a bit about breathable fabrics.The breathability of the fabric is limited to how much vapour a fabric can transfer, if you sweat out more than this then there is nowhere for the vapour to go so it condenses on the inside. Generally the better the fabric (more expensive!) the greater the transfer rate thus keeping you drier on the inside.

Breathable membrane fabric is actually a perforated fabric, If I remember correctly, breathable fabrics work on the principal that water droplets (rain) are bigger in size than then pores in the fabric whereas water vapour molecules are smaller than the pores, therefore the theory is sweat vapour can pass through the fabric but water droplets cannot penetrate.

There are loads of other factors to take into account as well such as humidity, work rate and also its important to get your base layers right as well, you need close fitting high wicking garments to wick the sweat away from your body. You can spend a shed load on an expensive gortex jacket but if you wear a loose fitting cotton t shirt underneath you might as well not bother as the t shirt will soak up the sweat and hold on to it!
    2012 Boardman FS Team
    2014 Giant Defy 2
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,661
    Oh kay Fail for me....

*Let it "dry" properly

*Ignore my advice to iron

I prostrate myself before you and beg your forgiveness.
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    That too is an ok fail.
  • ilovedirt
    ilovedirt Posts: 5,798
    I just have a Decathlon Novadry jacket - seems to work. It's not very breathable, but at least it keeps the wind off. Being wet from sweat but not bothered by the wind is far preferable to getting wet from rain and then being frozen by the wind.
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,661
    That too is an ok fail.

it was supposed to read like a sort of sigh....
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • YeehaaMcgee
    YeehaaMcgee Posts: 5,740
    ddraver wrote:
    Oh kay Fail for me....

*Let it "dry" properly

*Ignore my advice to iron

I prostrate myself before you and beg your forgiveness.
    :lol:
    It's ok, I was just wonering if I'd missed come crucial life changing tidbit of information there!
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    Softshells are ridiculously hot IMO, I've got one which I wear maybe once or twice a year on the mtb when it's at its coldest (or, occasionally when out for rides with slow folks) Good for road though.

I think the OP's basically expecting too much. Wear any enclosing, windproof garment while exercising and you'll get hot. Get hot and you'll sweat. The jacket being breathable won't mean you stay dry, it just means it's possible for the moisture to get out. But I don't stay dry in a tshirt, how are you going to stay dry in a raincoat?

To understand what breathable jackets do for you, try wearing a nonbreathable one :D

And if you want to stay cooler, get a gillet, keep the body dry and the arms out as radiators. Best compromise for mtb IMO, even if you do look like a tool.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • felix.london
    felix.london Posts: 4,067
    Northwind wrote:

To understand what breathable jackets do for you, try wearing a nonbreathable one :D

This ^ :lol: - go out in a bin bag and then see how sweaty you are!
    "Why have that extra tooth if you're not using it?" - Brian Lopes

Votec V.SX Enduro 'Alpine Thug' 2012/2013 build

Trek Session 8
  • MTFU.

But on a serious note, if you are out on a cold and wet day and are sweating, try and dry your skin off before you put your water proof jacket on. Trapping cold wet liquid against your skin is not a good idea, and even fit people can go down with hypothermia when they don't really expect to. Even more important if you are out doing natural stuff with the potential for not many people around.

The best thing I have found - my SuperDry jacket! In an absolute downpour, it won't hold up but in moderate rain its fine. And mostly I just wear shorts anyway.
  • Newfish
    Newfish Posts: 121
    It's all about wearing the right clothing for when your fully warmed up. If your a naturally sweaty person then try wearing less under your water proof if its raining. Sure you might start off a bit cold but after you've warmed up you'll be fine.

I did a ski season a few years ago and even on the coldest days I'd only go up in my thermals and jacket and salopettes, by the time I'd got up on the gondela I wasn't always the warmest but half way down the first run and I'd probably end up having to open the jacket vents. If I wore any more I'd end up sweating loads and then being uncomfortable and hot.

Like others have said, get a good (ish) breathable waterproof and try different quantities of layers or lack of, I work outdoors (landscape gardener) all year so do everything from heavy manual labour in all weathers to light stuff, once your cold or wet the day may as well be over, it's miserable and saps your energy.

Just my 2p, hope it helps.
    Cheers,
    Simon.
    Newfish wrote:
    I did a ski season a few years ago and even on the coldest days I'd only go up in my thermals and jacket and salopettes, by the time I'd got up on the gondela I wasn't always the warmest but half way down the first run and I'd probably end up having to open the jacket vents. If I wore any more I'd end up sweating loads and then being uncomfortable and hot.
    Yep, I know the feeling. I'm one of those people who never feels cold unless I'm starving and/or dehydrated badly.
    I've been snowboarding in just my saloppettes, and a thin Royal Racing DH jersey. And I was fine, whilst all around me were shivering.
    One of the benefits/banes of being a Welsh mountain man :lol:
  • fudbeer
    fudbeer Posts: 118
    In my experience the really cheap stuff is a waste of money as you sweat like mad,also the really expensive stuff is no better than the mid range stuff.

As has been said its more about what you wear underneath and layering.

Will not spend more than £40 on a waterproof.
    Currently I have been mostly riding a Specialized Roubaix Comp
  • YeehaaMcgee
    YeehaaMcgee Posts: 5,740
    I'd definitely disagree with that, the rule of diminishing returns doesn't seem to kick in until about the £100.
    I've certainly got far, far better gear for over a hundred than I do for under £50.
  • sofaboy73
    sofaboy73 Posts: 574
    the best thing you can you with your breathable fabrics (gore tex, event etc) is wash and reproof hem on a regular basis an you'll be amazed at the difference it makes. with the amount of sweat you chuck out on a hard ride the membrane will get 'clogged up' in one or two rides and their breathablity drops right off. obviuosly make sure you use some like tech wash etc otherwise you'll ruin them.

what i find works best in all but the worst weather is a cheap, mid weight soft shell (think i paid £30 for my last one from decatholon) and then use a load of grangers water proofing spray on it. very breathable and pretty water resistant. costs about £7 a bottle an can normally reproof the softshell about 3 times from one bottle (after each wash - ie not very often!)