Stans Rims - Arch, Flow or Crest?

Speshnewbie
Speshnewbie Posts: 14
edited October 2012 in MTB buying advice
I've looked at the various threads relating to new wheelsets but I'm looking for some advice on Stans rims.

Following a brief trip into one of the many potholes littering Edinburgh's roads, the original front wheel that came with my Rockhopper is now looking distinctly secondhand and my LBS is suggesting that it should be replaced. I'd been thinking about replacing the original wheelset anyway, so I now have the perfect excuse to ask Santa for a new set of wheels! :D

However as I've still to see the full effects of my new fitness regime :oops: , I'm not sure which Stans rim is the most appropriate option to select. I mostly ride on road with some basic cross-country riding at the weekend i.e. no large drops etc but with my rucksack I weight around 95kg.

I've looked at the Stans website but I've not been able to find information on any weight limits that apply to Stans rims. I'd originally thought about the Crest rim on a Superstar or Hope hub, but is this rim strong enough to handle my weight or should I go for the Arch or Flow rim?

Comments

• Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    Fully kitted I too weigh 95 kg. I run Olympics and they are still perfect, although they were built by a master builder ;-)
  • mcnultycop
    mcnultycop Posts: 2,143
    I've looked at the Stans website but I've not been able to find information on any weight limits that apply to Stans rims.

Not hard enough. I had the same issue last week so used the mighty power of google.

Crest

Arch

Flow

They are in lbs so you'll have to convert that to kg. I'm not doing everything for you.
  • leaflite
    leaflite Posts: 1,651
    Whats your budget?

Take a look at the american classic wheel range, particularly the all mountain ones. These have a rim of flow width and arch ex strength, but at crest/superstar or pro2 weight. I think that they are the best sub £500 wheels available currently.
  • Thanks for all of the advice so far.

My budget will be around £300-£350. I was thinking about going for a Stans Rim as they seem to be a popular choice and I'd place rim strength over saving weight in my list of priorities.

Re the American Classics, I saw that they won a group test of MTB wheels earlier this year but the general consensus on here seems to be that custom built wheelsets are superior to factory builds. I was originally considering a wheelset from either Fulcrum or Mavic, but having looked through some of the earlier threads on the forum, it appears that trying to get servicing and spares can sometimes be problematic.

Is it easier to get spares for American Classic wheels and hubs?
  • leaflite
    leaflite Posts: 1,651
    Thanks for all of the advice so far.

My budget will be around £300-£350. I was thinking about going for a Stans Rim as they seem to be a popular choice and I'd place rim strength over saving weight in my list of priorities.

Re the American Classics, I saw that they won a group test of MTB wheels earlier this year but the general consensus on here seems to be that custom built wheelsets are superior to factory builds. I was originally considering a wheelset from either Fulcrum or Mavic, but having looked through some of the earlier threads on the forum, it appears that trying to get servicing and spares can sometimes be problematic.

Is it easier to get spares for American Classic wheels and hubs?

American classic wheels use standard j bend spokes so these are easy to obtain. Bearings are also a standard size. I have been very happy with the factory build on mine- they havent needed truing at all yet
  • felix.london
    felix.london Posts: 4,067
    £350 will get you Arch EX (black or white) on Telsa/Trizoid hubs (whatever colour you like) with double butted spokes (black, white, red or gold) and whatever adapters you need to fit your frame/forks.

Bargain, and guaranteed you wont see anyone on the trails with your combo...happy days
    "Why have that extra tooth if you're not using it?" - Brian Lopes

Votec V.SX Enduro 'Alpine Thug' 2012/2013 build

Trek Session 8