Selle italia saddles

houndlegs
houndlegs Posts: 267
edited May 2018 in Road buying advice
Evening all
Been browsing on their website at saddles.
Can anyone tell me what does L1,L2 and L3 mean, please?
I'm assuming it's something to do with the fit,but I can't find an explanation on the site.

Ta

Comments

• jay197
    jay197 Posts: 196
    the "L" stands for the "lorica" covering of the saddle, from the roman word for body armour or something.
  • houndlegs
    Cheers jay,good to see I got it totally wrong then :D
  • giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
    explain to us what that means then, so L1 has more lorica covering than L2 or L3, or how does it work?
  • jay197
    If the covering is real leather they will put "lth" instead of an "L".

It is a bit confusing as they have lots of symbols that they use, but no guide to the Symbols on their website.

I will have another look at their site as they are making lots of changes this week due to the idmatch "fitting" system coming out this week.

Loads of us have been speaking to them about their website and they seem to be listening :)
  • houndlegs
    I emailed them and this is what they say,a full explanation will be on the website from November but the gist of it is,it's to do with their new ID matching system,and it is a sizing thing.
    1 is no cutout,2 is standard cutout,3 is enlarged cutout,they didn't say what S or L meant though.
    They did email me a scan of the new system,but it was a bit blurry and I couldn't make it out.
    So,now we now,sort of :D

Edit,I suppose S and L could be synthetic or leather,but that's purely me having a guess.
  • jay197
    It is a very confusing website atm as they are almost changing the icons and images on a daily basis.

I really hope they put a legend or a "mouse over" explanation of the icons at least.

If the saddle has a genuine "leather" fabric then they currently use the "lth" hide icon, and if it is made from the "lorima" teflon fabric then then put an "L" icon, but I am not sure what the some of the letters refer to myself and I have loads of their pamphlets are literature here but it doesn't match the system on the website :(
  • Hey everyone, let's have a look here!

http://www.selleitalia.com/se_it3/idmatch/
  • Ironnoob
    Ironnoob Posts: 1
    This is an old thread, but surprisingly one of the top 3 results when inquiring about Selle Italia's saddle ID system (depending on your search parameters). Hopefully this helps actually explain what was asked due to the link above not working anymore. Took some hunting on their website to find the literature as it is not straightforward at all.

Summary/TLDR first:

S1 – “Narrow” intertrochanteric distance and low pelvic rotation
    S2 – “Narrow” intertrochanteric distance and average pelvic rotation (Flow saddles)
    S3 – “Narrow” intertrochanteric distance and high pelvic rotation (Flow and SuperFlow saddles)

L1 – “Wide” intertrochanteric distance and low pelvic rotation
    L2 – “Wide” intertrochanteric distance and average pelvic rotation (Flow saddles)
    L3 – “Wide” intertrochanteric distance and high pelvic rotation (Flow and SuperFlow saddles)

In addition to these 6 sizes, there are 4 “Friction Free” versions with a tapered nose to prevent rubbing of the thighs on the side of the saddle:

S1 FF – S2 FF
    L1 FF – L2 FF

The sizes of saddles
    Let’s have a look now at the available sizes, their special features and the type of cyclists they are intended for.

Selle Italia currently offers 6 variants divided into two size types: S1, S2, S3 – L1, L2, L3.

The algorithm of the idmatch Smart Caliper also allows us to understand, according to the measurements taken, whether the cyclist needs a traditional or “Friction Free” saddle, available in 4 additional versions: S1 FF, S2 FF – L1 FF, L2 FF.

Friction Free is a technology launched by Selle Italia in 2011, aimed at cyclists with a ratio between the size of the thighs and the intertrochanteric distance that would lead to excessive chafing of the inner thigh on the side of the saddle. Friction Free (FF) saddles basically have a sitting point that is the same as the traditional L or S sizes, but have a more tapered nose to allow “easier” movement of the legs during pedalling, thus avoiding any friction and increasing the rider’s comfort.

As regards the specific size characteristics, S saddles are all quite narrow, i.e. with a sitting point width of 131-136 mm while the L saddles go from 145 mm up to a maximum of 150 mm.

The number associated with the size (1, 2 or 3) then identifies the existence or absence of the central hole (Flow technology): a special anatomical shape that allows you to “discharge” the pressure onto the sitting point, ensuring excellent comfort through greater flexibility in the central part of the saddle.

The S1 and L1 models have no central hole and are suitable for cyclists without a high pelvic rotation and who therefore do not really need to ease the pressure and friction that are created on the saddle.

S2 or L2 saddles have a medium size centre cut and are suitable for cyclists with average pelvic rotation who produce pressure and friction while pedalling: elements that in combination can lead to problems and discomfort on a physical level.

The third size – S3 or L3 – includes saddles with a large central hole, recommended for cyclists with a high pelvic rotation, who develop high levels of pressure on the surface of the saddle.

The size 3 saddles also include versions with SuperFlow technology, i.e. with an even wider central hole for cyclists who prefer even greater comfort.

The SuperFlow technology in fact, drastically reduces all the discomfort caused by prolonged pressure on the pelvic area, allowing you to find an optimum and extremely comfortable sitting position at all times.
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    Ironnoob wrote:
    This is an old thread, but surprisingly one of the top 3 results when inquiring about Selle Italia's saddle ID system (depending on your search parameters). Hopefully this helps actually explain what was asked due to the link above not working anymore. Took some hunting on their website to find the literature as it is not straightforward at all.

Summary/TLDR first:

S1 – “Narrow” intertrochanteric distance and low pelvic rotation
    S2 – “Narrow” intertrochanteric distance and average pelvic rotation (Flow saddles)
    S3 – “Narrow” intertrochanteric distance and high pelvic rotation (Flow and SuperFlow saddles)

L1 – “Wide” intertrochanteric distance and low pelvic rotation
    L2 – “Wide” intertrochanteric distance and average pelvic rotation (Flow saddles)
    L3 – “Wide” intertrochanteric distance and high pelvic rotation (Flow and SuperFlow saddles)

In addition to these 6 sizes, there are 4 “Friction Free” versions with a tapered nose to prevent rubbing of the thighs on the side of the saddle:

S1 FF – S2 FF
    L1 FF – L2 FF

The sizes of saddles
    Let’s have a look now at the available sizes, their special features and the type of cyclists they are intended for.

Selle Italia currently offers 6 variants divided into two size types: S1, S2, S3 – L1, L2, L3.

The algorithm of the idmatch Smart Caliper also allows us to understand, according to the measurements taken, whether the cyclist needs a traditional or “Friction Free” saddle, available in 4 additional versions: S1 FF, S2 FF – L1 FF, L2 FF.

Friction Free is a technology launched by Selle Italia in 2011, aimed at cyclists with a ratio between the size of the thighs and the intertrochanteric distance that would lead to excessive chafing of the inner thigh on the side of the saddle. Friction Free (FF) saddles basically have a sitting point that is the same as the traditional L or S sizes, but have a more tapered nose to allow “easier” movement of the legs during pedalling, thus avoiding any friction and increasing the rider’s comfort.

As regards the specific size characteristics, S saddles are all quite narrow, i.e. with a sitting point width of 131-136 mm while the L saddles go from 145 mm up to a maximum of 150 mm.

The number associated with the size (1, 2 or 3) then identifies the existence or absence of the central hole (Flow technology): a special anatomical shape that allows you to “discharge” the pressure onto the sitting point, ensuring excellent comfort through greater flexibility in the central part of the saddle.

The S1 and L1 models have no central hole and are suitable for cyclists without a high pelvic rotation and who therefore do not really need to ease the pressure and friction that are created on the saddle.

S2 or L2 saddles have a medium size centre cut and are suitable for cyclists with average pelvic rotation who produce pressure and friction while pedalling: elements that in combination can lead to problems and discomfort on a physical level.

The third size – S3 or L3 – includes saddles with a large central hole, recommended for cyclists with a high pelvic rotation, who develop high levels of pressure on the surface of the saddle.

The size 3 saddles also include versions with SuperFlow technology, i.e. with an even wider central hole for cyclists who prefer even greater comfort.

The SuperFlow technology in fact, drastically reduces all the discomfort caused by prolonged pressure on the pelvic area, allowing you to find an optimum and extremely comfortable sitting position at all times.

Great. Thanks.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 26,936
    Useful for someone looking for a saddle 10 years ago.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.