Thermals

Silverbull
Silverbull Posts: 32
edited October 2012 in Road beginners
Ok, it's getting cold so I thought a new thread on here for everyone to post their queries on made sense...

Here's my stupid questions to start us off!

I need a few things clarifying as I prepare for winter. Currently I'm wearing padded lycra shorts with altura leg warmers below some 3/4length shorts... On top, a couple of jerseys.... Plus a scull cap under my helmet. In all honesty im pretty much perfect in temperature on my rides. However I'm not sure how long this will last. Also I don't feel the lycra shorts /leg warmer combo is all that comfortable and in my mind it makes sense to have all in one.

Are thermal bib type things what I need? I've also looked at a merino base layer (not having to wash after every ride is a big plus.... Hope to train hard over winter). Would it be pointless to have both? Do people wear leg warmers UNDER their bib short things? I'm all a bit confused and don't want to waste what precious funds I have!

All advice great fully received! Tia

Comments

• bianchimoon
    bianchimoon Posts: 3,942
    A pair of thermal Bib tights such as the DHB Roubaix does me nicely usually during november to march evenings/nights and as it starts to warm up a little bib shorts with leg warmers. Top half when temperatures above 3° base layer and soft shell windproof as it gets lower just a buffalo jacket no base layer, good luck!
    All lies and jest..still a man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest....
  • Much like bianchimoon I am a dhb Roubaix bib tight fan. It's been down to 4 deg (edit: celcius) in the morning here over the last few weeks and the Roubaix bibs plus winter socks (Aldi!), overshoes, short sleeve top, gilet, arm warmers and long fingered windproof gloves have kept me warm enough. I carry a shower proof jacket in the back pocket that I never wear. Above 10 deg I cannot wear the Roubaix bibs and drop to bib shorts with leg warmers if necessary.

For back up I also have a longsleeve baselayer (cheap dhb synthetic long sleeve), a long sleeve jersey and an Altura Night Vision jacket. They will probably come out when the weather really bites. I used them through last winter prior to acquiring arm warmers, gilet, windproof gloves and my new favourite item, my Aldi winter cycling socks!

I own one of everything, I wish I had two+ but alas I do not have the funds. My riding is soley commuting at this time of year and the cold weather means I can get two days commuting out of kit before washing. In summer this is unthinkable!
  • If you want light weight reasonable thermals go onto the John Norris site and buy Snowbee. I know they don't say road bike on them but I use them and they are perfect. Light, wicking and very reasonable.

The added advantage for me is I use them for everything ....... out shooting, fishing or on a road bike. I tried them as I had them and they work.
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    IME shorts and legwarmers aren't warm enough for long rides in winter - bib longs like the DHB ones are pretty much a winter essential. For your top half, layering is key - too much and you'll soak yourself in your own sweat, too little and you'll never get warm. If you leave the house feeling a little nippy then you've probably got it right, but take an extra layer if there's a risk of the weather worsening. Finally, warm and wet is preferable to trying to keep dry but getting chilled by cold sweat. FWIW few waterproof jackets can breathe sufficiently when riding hard. Some people run 'hot' others 'cold' and only experience can help you in that respect.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • ok great, thanks...i'll check out the dhb's (hoping i might measure up for a small PACE Roubaix as the new Vaeon design is 20squid more :roll: )

Teisetrotter ...loving the look of that site...might be buying a few bits n bobs there too!

Went for a ride tonight...left house very nippy but soon warmed up so spot on I guess. Feet deffo got cold though despite decent socks :? ...also gonna have to get some winter gloves soon (my endura's didnt last)
  • pinarellokid
    pinarellokid Posts: 1,208
    i got endura over shoes for my birthday and they are fantastic at £25
    i have a pair of decathlon bib tights they do 3 thicknesses 3,5,7

i have the 5's and they are mega warm, wouldnt want to wear the 7's lol

on top compression top top and thick riding coat,
    long finger glovesw from planet x £5
    and the minute im too hot but that wont last, and its all done on a budget, but great quality.
    just bought a neck thing that covers my face as on my 05:30 ride home its bloody freezing and my cheeks and ears are really cold
    Specialized S Works SL2 . Campagnolo Record 11spd. rolling on Campag Zonda wheels

http://app.strava.com/athletes/881211