A comfy saddle?

thekopistop
thekopistop Posts: 2
edited October 2012 in Road beginners
Recently bought my first road bike, a ribble, which came with a CSN Superleggera K10 Saddle.

Now Ive been out three time on it and the saddle is far too hard for me. I am wearing some good quality bib shorts but I cannot bare the saddle anymore.

Which sort of brands do good quality, very comfy saddles? Now I know its going to be personal preference at the end of the day, but if you could suggest a few to check out I'm sure it would help save me a lot of time.

Cheers

Comments

• It's always difficult recommending seats, because what is good for one can be useless for another.

I suffered for ages trying to bed in the OEM seat on my bike, and eventually took the plunge with a Selle Italia Flite GelFlow and it has proved to be a great seat. I now have no problem spending all day in the saddle, and it looks pretty damn good too http://www.planet-x-bikes.co.uk/i/q/SAS ... ls___white

You will, however, probably end up totally confused because everyone will recommend their favourites, many will be different seats.

The best bet is to get to a larger bike shop and get measured up, some will even loan you a seat to try out. It could save you alot of money in the long term by getting it right before you buy. A mate of mine is on seat number 4 in a year.
    Ridley Orion
  • Charge spoon is very comfy, I have 2 of them.
    I don't mean to brag, I don't mean to boast, but I'm intercontinental when I eat French toast...
  • TommyB61
    TommyB61 Posts: 103
    +1 for the Spoon
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    Three times? Give it a chance.

:)
  • There are at least two long thread on saddle option here or on other road forums in the last week.

Have a little search around and you'll find all your answers answered there already, in terms of recommended saddles.
  • ianbar
    ianbar Posts: 1,354
    selle italia gel flow, just got one myself and very comfy
    enigma esprit
    cannondale caad8 tiagra 2012
  • jay197
    jay197 Posts: 196
    ianbar wrote:
    selle italia gel flow, just got one myself and very comfy

+1

/coughs............http://www.tryasaddle.co.uk

I have done 4hours+ on one ianbar and I agree, very comfortable the C2, I am going to test the "max flite gel flow" on a long ride next week and see how that feels compared to the C2 :)

@thekopistop, remember most saddles will initially be firmer for the first 100 miles or so, then they will break in, and should feel a bit more comfortable.

Gratz on your new bike btw 8)
  • Chris65
    Chris65 Posts: 41
    Dont buy anything yet.
    You are new to road bikes and all saddles are hard, though some are better than others. Like everything that is worn some things suit some peolple better than others and that goes for saddles too. However I still feel it is early for you to be trying different ones. If you have been out only three times you may not feel the benifit of changing your saddle just yet.
  • I agree with chris65 you've got to give it time and continue with what you have at the moment. For instance there appears to be a number on here who think the Selle Italia Gel Flow, well I absolutely hate them.
    2010 Trek Madonne 4.7
    2011 Bmc Promachine SLC01
    2013 Wilier Cento 1SR
  • Some sensible advice above. I would just add that it is well worth getting your sit bones measured before shelling out money on a new saddle too.
  • mine was too hard n not wide enough. so i took my nice big comfy one off my mtb and even though it doesnt look cool, i have no problems now. its so wrong but feels so right. lol. I will try the stock seat again when im not trying to push 17 stone about. I dont care what people think as its not actually that big and my comfort on the bike was priority 1 so sod it. Im happy for now!
    Specialized Roubaix Sport Comp 2013
    with....gears of war.
  • BigLights
    BigLights Posts: 464
    try getting yourself to a Specialized Concept Store. They will measure your ass (a new experience for me) and sort you out with a saddle that's exactly right. I have a BG Romin effort and it's fabulously comfortable. they even let you take one away for a week on your bike to test ride it.