Hamsterley Tyre Choice?

TheMadHouse
TheMadHouse Posts: 40
edited October 2012 in Routes
Got a cottage in Hamsterley on saturday for a week and on the door step is Hamsterley Forest. Red and black routes and blue for family.
Question is tyre choice front !
Bike 120mm hardtail. Maxxis ADvantage 2.1 rear @ 32ish psi.
Now normally run Maxxis ADvantage 2.25 folding 60a on front @ 30ish psi.
Or do I change to a Maxxis Swampthing 2.35 60a due to the wet weather we`ve had?
Advice greatly appreciated as not been there for years.

Comments

• compo
    compo Posts: 1,370
    Went last weekend and some bits were bone dry yet others were very very swampy.

Its meant to pour down this week though so it can only get worse.
  • Well after looking at some youtube videos of the new stuff on red/black and forecast for week of not much rain, I'm going to run with the ADvantage front. Unless someone advises otherwise.
  • As Compo says, it depends where you go at Hamsterley - the built trails drain well and you'll be fine with the Advantage on them, for the off-piste stuff you'll encounter more mud (and roots!) so you might want some more grip (I run Advantage front and Crossmark rear on the HT, Minion on the FS for the gnarly stuff)
  • oodboo
    oodboo Posts: 2,171
    Are you sure Hamsterley Forest is on the doorstep? The Hamsterley I'm thinking of is on the doorstep of Chopwell woods (the opposite side to where I live) and hamsterley forest is about an hours drive away.

Personally I wouldn't bother with mud tyres there. The trails all cope pretty well with the rain excluding a few sections on the black route. Saying that, I run minions all year round.
    I love horses, best of all the animals. I love horses, they're my friends.

Strava
  • There are two Hamsterley villages in Co Durham, one next to Hamsterley Forest, one next to Chopwell, as one of my workmates found out when he came along to a ride in the forest and went to the wrong Hamsterley......................

Pub at Hamsterley (next to the forest) - The Cross Keys - does good food and beer.
  • Definately the right hamsterley . Checked and double checked when her in doors was looking at booking it.looks to be 1.5 - 2 miles away from either joining red or black around windy bank and special k section.
    Don't plan to anything off piste as time for me will be limited to get lost and have fun (3 kids and wife will ensure that).

So red and black for me on afternoon or mornings is all I'll get.
    Vids seem to me that a lot should drain wellish but off piste could be quite soggy.
    Thanks for the advice
  • I work in that area and ride at Chopwell quite a bit. The Hamsterley next to Chopwell is actually Hamsterley Mill