Woman Down

rubertoe
rubertoe Posts: 3,994
edited October 2012 in Commuting chat
A female cyclist has been killed this afternoon with a collision with a lorry on the A1000 (Barnet High Street) at around 3pm.

http://www.barnet-today.co.uk/news.cfm? ... 0collision

http://www.times-series.co.uk/news/tops ... instantly/

Condolences to the family.

Keep safe out there people.

Edit: Updated
"If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills

Comments

• spasypaddy
    spasypaddy Posts: 5,180
    my colleague got a call saying her son has scene something going on.

terrible news

• EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    Really sad news.
    I know the area well and the road is quite narrow. Cars parked on both sides, lots of buses, peds crossing from in between parked cars etc. Modern day traffic in a medieval street.

The lorry is from just down the road, so probably knows the area. The driver sounds like he's gutted.

FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • Koncordski
    Koncordski Posts: 1,009
    One is too many, this is getting ridiculous. Is anyone ever going to get serious about cycling infrastructure, my condolences to the family & friends.

#1 Brompton S2L Raw Lacquer, Leather Mudflaps
    #2 Boeris Italia race steel
    #3 Scott CR1 SL
    #4 Trek 1.1 commuter
    #5 Peugeot Grand Tourer (Tandem)
  • spasypaddy
    its not even a horrible junction, i have no idea how this could have happened.

yes its busy but theres no reason for an accident to occur there. No turning point, just a corner on a road.

Terrible news.
  • rubertoe
    EKE_38BPM wrote:
    Really sad news.
    I know the area well and the road is quite narrow. Cars parked on both sides, lots of buses, peds crossing from in between parked cars etc. Modern day traffic in a medieval street.

The lorry is from just down the road, so probably knows the area. The driver sounds like he's gutted.

It is a real pinch point - Barely enough room for two cars let alond, Car, Lorry and Cyclist. Its a road that i use regularly, coming up from the station.

Will keep an ear out for any updates.
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

• mudcow007
    mudcow007 Posts: 3,861
    condolences to the womens family

an also to the truck driver

keep safe out there kids

ride on....
    Keeping it classy since '83
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    rubertoe wrote:
    EKE_38BPM wrote:
    Really sad news.

It is a real pinch point - Barely enough room for two cars let alond, Car, Lorry and Cyclist. Its a road that i use regularly, coming up from the station.

I've got no idea how the collision happened, and I'm not going to speculate, but I think its fair to say its not wise for cyclists to get too close to HGVs.
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • spasypaddy
    rubertoe wrote:

it is indeed and considering those involved im surprised something like this has happened.

Its always more of a shock when its on roads and areas you know so well
  • notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    I feel sick whenever I hear of a story like this. Absolutely horrific, and so very very sad.
  • rubertoe
    Further Update from local news here.

http://www.times-series.co.uk/news/9989 ... ist_crash/

• terrible news...and the driver has been arrested for dangerous driving so it wasn't necessarily the cyclist getting too close to the hgv, very possibly the other way around.
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    terrible news...and the driver has been arrested for dangerous driving so it wasn't necessarily the cyclist getting too close to the hgv, very possibly the other way around.

pretty much standard procedure.

Anyway these threads always seem to get out of control with speculation and other insensitive debates, should instigate lfgss rules.

RIP.
  • rubertoe
    ipete is right - please do not speculate on this issue; no-one was there and there has been no information relased of the facts.

• veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,768
    Terrible news. Condolences to those close to her.