Tubeless ready rim conversion...

hopper1
hopper1 Posts: 4,389
edited November 2012 in MTB beginners
Proper newb question, but do I just need the yellow tape and valve?
Or, have I got to use the Stan's fluid, too...
If it's going to get messy, I think I'll stick with tubes! :?

EDIT: I did do a search, first.
Start with a budget, finish with a mortgage!

Comments

• warpcow
    warpcow Posts: 1,448
    What rims and tyres?

Also, I'd never run tubeless without sealant but it's not that messy; I don't think I've ever spilled more than a couple of drops. It helps to have valves with removable cores and some kind of injector.
  • hopper1
    warpcow wrote:
    What rims and tyres?

Also, I'd never run tubeless without sealant but it's not that messy; I don't think I've ever spilled more than a couple of drops. It helps to have valves with removable cores and some kind of injector.

DT Swiss XR20 rim (tubeless ready) with Rocket Ron EVO 2.1
    and Crest rim with an as yet undecided tyre... Maybe panaracer Fire XC Pro UST 1.8 :?
  • mrmonkfinger
    mrmonkfinger Posts: 1,452
    hopper1 wrote:
    DT Swiss XR20 rim (tubeless ready) with Rocket Ron EVO 2.1
    and Crest rim with an as yet undecided tyre... Maybe panaracer Fire XC Pro UST 1.8 :?

should be fine - but dont skip the sealant, and warpcow is right, use valves with removable cores and an injector of some sorts, its not messy

as both your rims are "tubeless ready" not UST, personally I'd stick with 'tubeless ready' tyres + sealant.
  • 21mm stans yellow tape will be fine.
  • hopper1
    All the kit is in the house with the wheels, etc...
    Shame I'm away for a couple of days... Just busting to bolt all the upgrades on and get out in the woods :cry:
    Have just ordered 2 x 10 conversion, but unsure if I'll need new shifters, like the roady shifters...
  • hopper1
    Now tubeless... :wink:
    I didn't use the applicator, just popped the rim and poured it in, then spun the rim over and re seated the bead... Easy!
    Bloody Rocket Ron's were a nightmare to fit, though... :evil: