Bit expensive?

DanDax1990
DanDax1990 Posts: 1,201
edited October 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
Took my bike to LBS on Saturday because needs front and rear brake bleed. When I took it in he said it'll be £15.

Just called to see if the bike is ready and its not until tomorrow and he said £15 per brake... Is it just me or is that expensive?

Comments

• njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    Seems fair enough. Learn to DIY.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    I phoned round a couple of shops to change gear cable outer and hydraulic hoses and one wanted £100 with parts or £60 without which was £25 per brake and £10 for gears and the other wanted £20 per brake and £20 for gears. Things have obviously gone up since I worked in a bike shop 15 years ago. Ill just do it myself for that. Thought it would be cheap and less hassle ! Obviously not !
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Price seems reasonable, but why would they need bleeding? Bikes just a few months old.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    DanDax1990 wrote:
    Took my bike to LBS on Saturday because needs front and rear brake bleed.
    Define 'needs'......what is happening that shouldn't?
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • DanDax1990
    DanDax1990 Posts: 1,201
    DanDax1990 wrote:

Nothing.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    DanDax1990 wrote:
    DanDax1990 wrote:

Nothing.
    so why are they being bled?
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    ^^^ this, bike brakes don't just need bleeding, they need it for a reason, you've stated they are working fine (well that nothing is happening that shouldn't), so why bleed them?
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.