Changing from a 14 speed to a 21?

matthewbradly
matthewbradly Posts: 19
edited October 2012 in Road beginners
Hi Everyone,

This is my first ever post, so be kind..

I'm 14 years old and a couple months ago bought a Viking Giro d'italia (don't take the mick).
It's a lovely bike but after some big distances have realised the problem with a 14 speed. I've been looking through many websites and looking at chainsets; but don't know the easiest way to transfer to a 21 speed.
If any of you 'bike wizards' could help, it would be much appreciated.

Matthew

Comments

• To get to 21 speed you need to swap the front double chainset for a Triple chainset.. however the bike if my googling is correct has a 52/39 double front and 14-28 on the rear.

if the problem you have is not a low enough (easier to pedal) gear then rather than going to a triple and having to change the chainset, front derailleur and possible the front shifter; you may be better off looking at a front compact double 50/34, which would give you lower gearing with not much top end loss, (as your only 14 you really shouldn't be trying to push too high a gear anyway) and would be cheaper as you can leave the derailleur and shifter alone.

hope that helps muddy the waters a little.
  • It was actually for pedalling downhill; would getting a triple front chainset help this and would any chainset fit?
  • Hoopdriver
    Hoopdriver Posts: 2,023
    A triple will not add any speed to your downhill pedalling, nor change your top gear ratios. Triples are for climbing up hills. The advice in the previous post is good. Go for a compact.
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    If you're running out of legs on a 52-14 then you need a higher top gear, so swapping the 14-28 for something with a longer top will give you what you need. Look for an 11-28. As you've only had it a couple of months there won't be any issues with the chain as a result of swapping the cassette and don't listen to anyone who says there will be, not unless you've racked up a couple of thousand miles on it already.

Or you could practise getting your cadence up. An 11-28 cassette is your easiest and most cost effective upgrade route though.
  • Sprool
    Sprool Posts: 1,022
    you say you have a problem with the 14-speed but you didnt say what that problem was.
  • CiB
    Sprool wrote:
    you say you have a problem with the 14-speed but you didnt say what that problem was.
    It was actually for pedalling downhill; would getting a triple front chainset help this and would any chainset fit?
    There aren't many interpretations to read into that. :wink:
  • CiB wrote:
    If you're running out of legs on a 52-14 then you need a higher top gear, so swapping the 14-28 for something with a longer top will give you what you need. Look for an 11-28. As you've only had it a couple of months there won't be any issues with the chain as a result of swapping the cassette and don't listen to anyone who says there will be, not unless you've racked up a couple of thousand miles on it already.

Or you could practise getting your cadence up. An 11-28 cassette is your easiest and most cost effective upgrade route though.
    Say I did Buy an 11-28 rear cassette, this would mean I need to buy new shifters and rear derailleur?
  • CiB
    CiB wrote:

Say I did Buy an 11-28 rear cassette, this would mean I need to buy new shifters and rear derailleur?
    No. It's a straight swap, take the current cassette off, fit the new one. 5 minute job, the LBS where you buy it will probably do it for nothing.

The highest gear - the 11 teeth cog - will be a tad smaller but the rear mech will take up that bit of slack. The 28 is the same so nothing changes at that end. Just make sure that you buy a cassette that's the same fit and has the same number of gears. Your bike shop should be able to guide you.