Bicycle Spokes

Brad123
Brad123 Posts: 86
edited October 2012 in The workshop
I Got a old hydird. It has got four broken spokes in the front(bout and cheep wheel off eBay that i am using don't like it) today just notices the back wheel has got a broken spoke.

So know how hard is it to respoke a wheel?
GT Avalanche for xc fun
Btwin Triban 3

Comments

• It's not terribly hard so long as the rim is still true. You'll need some time and patience. It's well worth getting this book if you fancy giving it a go. http://www.wheelpro.co.uk/wheelbuilding/book.php

Although Musson advocates making your own nipple driver, I found a commercially available one worked very well.
  • Brad123
    Thanks corshamjim for the advise. I won't be doing the wheel as the the wife has given me the the go ahead the bye a new bike
    GT Avalanche for xc fun
    Btwin Triban 3
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Replacing broken spokes is really rather easy, especailly on the front with no gears to remove, say 15 mins job....if the wheel was true to start with fitting a new spoke and tensioning it will see it true again!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Brad123 wrote:
    Thanks corshamjim for the advise. I won't be doing the wheel as the the wife has given me the the go ahead the bye a new bike

Result! :D
  • Brad123
    I know :shock:

:D
    GT Avalanche for xc fun
    Btwin Triban 3
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Be aware that if that many have broken then it is odds on that the rest are fatigued and will break soon too.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    +1.....the Nipples on my rear wheel are fatigued, I've replaced 7 since fitting it (came used) having fitted 2 before fitting it, still it only cost £4 in the first place so.....
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.