Compatible Brake Levers

flipflop70
flipflop70 Posts: 3
edited October 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi all, can anyone give me some advice on brake lever/gear shifter units. I am about to go through an upgrade process on my bike, and one of the upgrades is from nasty twist grip changers to thumb shifters. I could just go for shifters on their own, but i fancy going for complete shifter/brake lever units. I have mechanical disc brakes, which need a lot of lever pull, and most of the combi units seem to be v brake compatible only. Does anyone know if these units will be ok with my disc brake setup?
Cheers in advance

Comments

• hi, shimano STEF51 work with mechanical disc brakes. they come in 7 or 8 speed, check if you have enough gears as most twist grips are 6 speed.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Go for seperate units. More easily upgradable if you want, and lees to break when you stack it.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    V-brake pull is the same as mechanical disc UNLESS you have road pull mechanical disc when you need cantilever pull levers.....however 99.9% certain you want V-brake levers.

Ignore bob, you can get twist in anything, I have a 9 and 2 8's.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Thanks all for your prompt replies. It was the ST-EF51's that I was considering buying as they do seem like good value for money. I had originally considered the separate option, by just buying independent shifters and keeping the original levers, but they are low end Tektros and to be honest I have never really liked them as they just seem a bit sloppy. Hmmmmm soooo I need to make the decision whether to go for combi units or buying a complete set of separates lol. Maybe i'll just go for the ST-EF's as they won't get broken... the bike wont get stacked, well not much anyway, I'm a very good rider :oops: :lol:

Oh and btw, i have a 21 speed so 7 and 3 grip shifts... I just dont like grip shifts as I find them uncomfortable and they upset my hold on the bars.