New Front Wheel

neil81
neil81 Posts: 19
edited October 2012 in MTB buying advice
Hi

I posted in the workshop section about issues i was having with my front wheel not running smoothly. Turns out the cups are shot, so a new wheel seems to be in order. Bike is a Carrera and the majority of my riding is done on the road, the current wheels are disc specific, double wall all black (ddm rims), i'm trying to find something similiar that wont break the bank but is half decent (as i say, mainly road use). Anyone got any suggestions?

Cheers

Comments

• Check out Superstar. Great service with quality product at great prices. Just replaced the wheelset on my Carrera and their service was cracking.

Alternatively, check out the classifieds on here or eBay.
    Family, Friends, Fantastic trails - what else is there

viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12898838
    viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12897374
  • neil81
    Thanks, i will have a look. Cant quite believe how expensive they are, the bike only cost 350 quid and after looking at wheels, tyres and brakes in the last week, they would all be over 200 quid if bought separately... Suppose i'll have to find the pennies to get one though (especially as my old hub is now in lots of pieces!), CRC, Wiggle and Evans have barely got anything at all less than £60-£70 quid and guessing i want to be steering clear of Halfords??
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    Eh? Of course it depends what you buy but those thing can be had for a lot cheaper than you are saying.

Yes it might be more cost effective to buy a set of wheels. Have a look in Merlin at their sets.

Like these... A shade over 55 for the pair and very very good value.

http://www.merlincycles.com/bike-shop/w ... lizer.html
  • neil81
    Eh? Of course it depends what you buy but those thing can be had for a lot cheaper than you are saying.

Yes it might be more cost effective to buy a set of wheels. Have a look in Merlin at their sets.

Like these... A shade over 55 for the pair and very very good value.

http://www.merlincycles.com/bike-shop/w ... lizer.html

Are these things full wheels or just rims? getting confused by pictures and descriptions...
  • felix.london
    felix.london Posts: 4,067
    full wheel but you'll need centre-lock rotors or 6-bolt adapters
    "Why have that extra tooth if you're not using it?" - Brian Lopes

Votec V.SX Enduro 'Alpine Thug' 2012/2013 build

Trek Session 8
  • neil81
    full wheel but you'll need centre-lock rotors or 6-bolt adapters

Thanks, they sound like a baragin. havings loads of issues with my Tektro IO brakes anyway so might be tempted to stcik some new ones on while i'm at it, found 'Shimano Deore BR-M495' to be the cheapest with centrelock, can they be any worse that my Tektro's?!
  • mcnultycop
    mcnultycop Posts: 2,143
    You only need centrelock rotors, which should be available for a tenner each.

Those brakes you suggested are cable brakes again; I just managed to get a set of Deore Hydraulic brakes (no rotors, though) for less than £90. I guess this may be too much by the time rotors are factored in.
  • felix.london
    felix.london Posts: 4,067
    The M595 are hydraulic and can be got for under £60 for the pair
    "Why have that extra tooth if you're not using it?" - Brian Lopes

Votec V.SX Enduro 'Alpine Thug' 2012/2013 build

Trek Session 8
  • neil81
    Thanks, i will have a look to see where i can find them (found the front for 30 quid at merlin), my bike stays chained up at the station all day so dont really want to put anything too expensive on it in case i come back to it to find my nice new bits missing!