Spokes

Headhuunter
Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
edited October 2012 in Commuting chat
On the way home last night a spoke in my rear wheel, drive side went ping... I pulled over and fiddled with the spoke key to get the wheel straight enough to ride home with the brakes open - it was quite a dramatic break and caused the wheel to bend sufficiently to be rubbing on the frame which is quite unusual for a high 30 odd spoke count wheel... This morning I dropped it into my local bike place to be fixed... I really should learn how to do it myself but I never get time and it's on the drive side so it's even more of an *rse to do.

Anyway, the spokes are black and the guy there who is usually very knowledgeable asked me if I was happy for a silver spoke to be put in its place... I shrugged and said I supposed it was OK. He then proceeded to tell me that black spokes are weaker than silver ones and often break as they are heat treated to make them black which weakens them. In fact he recommended I have the entire wheel re-spoked! I said no to that! The wheel's only worth about £50 or so anyway...

But is that right? Are black spokes weaker than silver ones? Sounds like rubbish to me but the guy is usually correct, he's not just some Halfords monkey with a wrench...
Do not write below this line. Office use only.

Comments

• fossyant
    fossyant Posts: 2,549
    Rubbish. Provided the spoke quality is good. DT Swiss and the rest do black, silver etc. etc
  • I think that's hilarious! :lol:

Hope nobody proves it's true :|
  • SimonAH
    SimonAH Posts: 3,730
    Actually there might be a grain of truth there..... Cheap spokes are painted / dipped which would have no effect, but more expensive spokes are coloured using a wet electrochemical process.

This will affect the structure at the surface of the steel and could reduce the effective cross section of the spoke fractionally.
    FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
    CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
    Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    But is that right? Are black spokes weaker than silver ones? Sounds like rubbish to me but the guy is usually correct, he's not just some Halfords monkey with a wrench...
    now they are all the same.

BUT some of the early cheap black spokes seemed to have a different finishing process that may have effected them slightly.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Coach H
    Coach H Posts: 1,092
    Harry Rowland used to refuse to build with black spokes although his website now states he has a limited supply
    Coach H. (Dont ask me for training advice - 'It's not about the bike')
  • kelsen
    kelsen Posts: 2,003
    Coach H wrote:
    Harry Rowland used to refuse to build with black spokes although his website now states he has a limited supply
    Racist!
  • Headhuunter
    Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
    Actually I just Googled it and there does seem to be some discussion about the merits of stainless vs black spokes in terms of strength although as Nick says, it seems to have been a problem in the past and less so these days...
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • kelsen
    If you believe red bikes are faster, then yes, silver spokes are probably stronger.
  • SimonAH
    SimonAH Posts: 3,730
    If I had to put money on it I would say it was one of these things that, because there is or was a grain of truth in it has become an accepted fact and the effect imagined far greater - a bit like not being allowed to use a mobile on a petrol station forecourt.
    FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
    CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
    Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.
  • What about black nipples?
  • kelsen
    What about black nipples?
    Shouldn't be any discernible difference if they're tweaked correctly.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Slightly maybe, but by two parts of naff all (liek probably the variation of parts if tested has a 90% overlap.

Sounds like he wanted to sell you a silver as he couldn't be bothered to get a black!

Slowly replacing the black spokes in my back wheel (they are painted so no strength defficiency) as they break (naff nipples) with silver, but that's cause I have a busted spare wheel with the same length spokes!

Replacing a spoke really is very very easy!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 16,961
    This will be another example of pseudosci-eng-techybabble from bearded bicycle mechanics with no formal training in such subjects as education.

The reasoning goes something like this: Silver is like old bike. Old bike good. So, beard say silver is okay.

As regards your bike shop experience - name and shame. This is no better than a plumber or car machanic making that sharp inrush of breath, "you are going to need an..." expression, before making off with half the contents of your wallet.