New project

gbsahne001
gbsahne001 Posts: 1,973
edited October 2012 in The workshop
Having got hold of a new frame, I'm looking to swap the mostly DA groupset from the CX to it and turn the CX into a winter bike, as I'm fed up with the hybrid; thinking MTB triple up front, 8spd for durability flat bar with hydraulic front disk and rear V brake.

First issue appears to be mudguards the current front mech (Deore) seems to sit out from the seat tube quite a lot and I'm wondering whether an alternative mech would be the same?

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    The biggest issue will likely be frame size, have you checked it works for you on flat bars?

Do you NEED a triple? Most commutes won't need a granny ring, and on mine I found with a 9 out back I could run a semi close ratio cassette (11-28 - which you could do with an 8) on a single ring, what gears do you use now?

What makes you think an 8 will be mnore durable, the teeth and chain rollers are the same width!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • gbsahne001
    The biggest issue will likely be frame size, have you checked it works for you on flat bars?

Presumably the flat bar will go where flat of the current drops are, so I can't see why not or does it not work this way?
    Do you NEED a triple? Most commutes won't need a granny ring, and on mine I found with a 9 out back I could run a semi close ratio cassette (11-28 - which you could do with an 8) on a single ring, what gears do you use now?

It doesn't really need a triple but flat bar shifters don't seem to come with a double option. I'd also considered the single ring option but would rather have a double or triple if I was to use it for touring. The current set up is 46/36 up front and 12 - 27 (9) on the rear
    What makes you think an 8 will be more durable, the teeth and chain rollers are the same width!

That I didn't know and had thought that an 8sp chain had thicker plates, making it less prone to breaking, although thinking about it, I've broken both 8 & 9sp chains.
  • gbsahne001
    Probably a silly question but are campag brake callipers compatible with Shimano levers?
  • The Rookie
    The only difference between 8 and 9 is thicker plates, but you never just snap the plates, that only happens after a pin has come out anyway!

Most flat barred hybrids have a longer effective top tube so you sit a bit more stretched out on flats than when on the top of the drops, higher than you would on the drops, and about where you would on the hoodz (which are further forward than the stem mounting point).........try it first I think!

For double, use a treble shifter and don't use the extra click - easy! Most double shifters are triples without the extra graphic, and yes they are available.

Brakes - no idea!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • gbsahne001
    The only difference between 8 and 9 is thicker plates, but you never just snap the plates, that only happens after a pin has come out anyway!

Most flat barred hybrids have a longer effective top tube so you sit a bit more stretched out on flats than when on the top of the drops, higher than you would on the drops, and about where you would on the hoodz (which are further forward than the stem mounting point).........try it first I think!

For double, use a treble shifter and don't use the extra click - easy! Most double shifters are triples without the extra graphic, and yes they are available.

Brakes - no idea!

Thanks for the input.

Got it with the chain, will keep it as a 9 speed using the current chainset and source a new one for the new build.

Flat bar wise, I was simply going to remove the drops and install a flat bar into the existing stem and then add end grips, which will more or less mimic the position I have with drops.

I'll probably add a LH shifter but will remove the front mech for the winter, so that I can fit mudguards.
  • The Rookie
    If you ride on top of the drops most the time, then yes, flats will give a similar position, but I'd suggest a quick try before spending any money!

I like twist shifters (X.O in my case) on my commuter for the 'declutter' effect, likewise I use crosstop levers for the minimalism and light weight (plus I picked the pair up for a quid!).

Simon