27.2 Dropper post?

DanDax1990
DanDax1990 Posts: 1,201
edited February 2013 in MTB buying advice
Hi guys, Is there any recommended 27.2mm dropper posts out there that don't break the bank? Looking at getting one soon for next year so I can get into the trails more :)

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Some German place was selling them for around £100, also had them on Ebay.
    But I don't really see how not having one actually stops you riding?
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • KS pure racing i850/i851 are about the cheapest out there. Though they do tend to pick up play in UK weather. X-Fusion do quite a nice one but it costs a fair bit more.
  • DanDax1990
    I never said it stops me riding? :S
  • Obviously depends on what type of riding you do. If I’m riding along and come to a point that requires a lower saddle (steep downhill), I’d probably stop at the top and lower my saddle via the normal QR clamp at this point.
    Consider you are adding extra weight and complexity.
    Planet X Kaffenback 2
    Giant Trance X2
    Genesis High Latitude 2x10
    Planet X n2a
    Genesis Core 20
  • Gravity dropper is the original and still the best. Get the turbo version. Price tag is rediculous, but all dropper posts are stupid money.

IMHO this is one of those items where buying cheap really does mean buying twice. Use one of the £10 off vouchers that are floating about at the moment, plus quidco or whatever it's called to get a good deal on one off CRC.
  • lawman
    lawman Posts: 6,868
    Obviously depends on what type of riding you do. If I’m riding along and come to a point that requires a lower saddle (steep downhill), I’d probably stop at the top and lower my saddle via the normal QR clamp at this point.

Peasant!! No body does that anymore :P Not tried the GD but from opinions on here it sounds pretty good, its just plain ugly though. KS do one too and they get decent feedback too, but I would say the GD if you have a 27.2 seatpost.
  • lawman wrote:
    Obviously depends on what type of riding you do. If I’m riding along and come to a point that requires a lower saddle (steep downhill), I’d probably stop at the top and lower my saddle via the normal QR clamp at this point.

Peasant!! No body does that anymore :P Not tried the GD but from opinions on here it sounds pretty good, its just plain ugly though. KS do one too and they get decent feedback too, but I would say the GD if you have a 27.2 seatpost.
    So is your avatar a true likeness or just a representation?
    Planet X Kaffenback 2
    Giant Trance X2
    Planet X n2a
    Genesis Core 20
  • the cheapy cheap ones from germany were around the £80 mark, but Very basic, a post with a whole in it and a pin that retracts when the remotes pushed, a rudementary version of the dropper posts, but an ideal way to see if youd use it enough to warrant a decent dropper,
    was a thread on STW about it, one of the guys imported a load,

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FORCA-SPS400- ... 19d4d48e4f

they seem to need a little more maintenence than the rest, but at such a simple design is a 5 minute job by all accounts,
    Timmo.
    After all, I am Cornish!
    http://cornwallmtb.kk5.org/
    Cotic Soul, The bike of Legends!:wink: Yes, I Am a bike tart!
    http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtop ... 1#16297481
  • lawman
    lawman Posts: 6,868
    lawman wrote:

And the meaning or relevance of your question is? :?:
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    DanDax1990 wrote:
    I never said it stops me riding? :S

What you've got to learn is fooldad takes what you write twists it into something totally different than what you was trying to get across and then answers it in a non helpful sarcastic way.
  • Theres one reviewed in MBR this month, gets a good review. I think it's and ICE V8 dropper or something along those lines. I've googled and it looks like they are not widely available though (possibly will be soon?). I'm tempted to ask my LBS whether they can get me one from their distributor.
  • warpcow
    warpcow Posts: 1,448
    Theres one reviewed in MBR this month, gets a good review. I think it's and ICE V8 dropper or something along those lines. I've googled and it looks like they are not widely available though (possibly will be soon?). I'm tempted to ask my LBS whether they can get me one from their distributor.

That's just another rebranded one of the kind allthegear mentioned. They seem to get decent reviews. The guy on STW who imports them has changed some of the spec. from the standard catalogue model so they should work better (the ordinary ones apparently had problems with the bushings swelling when damp), according to him.
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    Gravity dropper is the original and still the best. Get the turbo version.

Word for word what I was going to say.

It's actually pretty funny tbh... For years people moaned about unreliable seatposts, Joplins, early KSs and Reverbs, meanwhile Gravity Dropper didn't just have one that works reliably, it'd done so for years already.

Downside is, it looks like a dalek's knob.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • lawman wrote:
    lawman wrote:

And the meaning or relevance of your question is? :?:

Thought you were joking, so I joked back, thats all. Sorry if you took offence.
    Planet X Kaffenback 2
    Giant Trance X2
    Planet X n2a
    Genesis Core 20
  • Rusty
    Rusty Posts: 808
    I've got the Gravity Dropper.
    can highly recomend it!
    If your considering it, I'd maybe check out buying from a UK importer.
    I bought direct and they don't tell you about the import tax!
    I'd hate to ride without it now, having one with the bar mounted lever is defo a good option.
    Can jump n pump any little root, rock or steep with freedom of no seat in the way :-)

I did do a bit of hunting about, and GD just seemed the best option, trusted reliability (very important, don't want a snapped post!) and simply, it works!

Yes. it's ugly as, but I dont care, im past trying to be cool
  • pastey_boy
    pastey_boy Posts: 2,083
    Got Gravity Droppers on both of my MTB's absolutely love them, and what's with all the ugly comments ? It's a black post with a cable coming out of it. Not the most stunning component I have ever seen but far from ugly. The big thing I love about the post is the fact it can be stripped down with no tools, cleaned, lubed and put back together in minutes and every single component can be had as a spare part for reasonable money (direct from GD) Plus it can be adapted for different drop heights by swapping parts out. Not cheap but have seen some on offer.
    20120927_162745.jpg
    Viner Salviati
    Shark Aero Pro
    Px Ti Custom
    Cougar 531
    Sab single speed
    Argon 18 E-112 TT
    One-one Ti 456 Evo
    Ridley Cheetah TT
    Orange Clockwork 2007 ltd ed
    Yeti ASR 5
    Cove Hummer XC Ti
  • DanDax1990
    I don't mind the look if the GD... Looks good on your bike Pastey. May have to go for one :)
    Be even better if could change some of it to anodized red haha. Any chance of link/s to where you seen on offer?
  • pastey_boy
    DanDax1990 wrote:
    I don't mind the look if the GD... Looks good on your bike Pastey. May have to go for one :)
    Be even better if could change some of it to anodized red haha. Any chance of link/s to where you seen on offer?
    Chain reaction had some on offer but it ooks like they're all gone. The forca post below is a Gravity Dropper copy and look good and has positive reviews and most importantly comes with lovely red anodised goodness. https://www.bike24.net/1.php?content=8; ... c26024c365
    Viner Salviati
    Shark Aero Pro
    Px Ti Custom
    Cougar 531
    Sab single speed
    Argon 18 E-112 TT
    One-one Ti 456 Evo
    Ridley Cheetah TT
    Yeti ASR 5
    Cove Hummer XC Ti
  • DanDax1990
    pastey_boy wrote:
    DanDax1990 wrote:
    Chain reaction had some on offer but it ooks like they're all gone. The forca post below is a Gravity Dropper copy and look good and has positive reviews and most importantly comes with lovely red anodised goodness. https://www.bike24.net/1.php?content=8; ... c26024c365

Cheers Pastey, Really appreciate that. Gonna get one asap and seems as its cheap I won't be losing out on much if I realise I don't want/need one :)

P.S will it hold up to a fat barsteward like me? Haha.
  • pastey_boy
    I have used lot of different dropper posts at 18 stones or so and never had one break on me.
    Viner Salviati
    Shark Aero Pro
    Px Ti Custom
    Cougar 531
    Sab single speed
    Argon 18 E-112 TT
    One-one Ti 456 Evo
    Ridley Cheetah TT
    Yeti ASR 5
    Cove Hummer XC Ti
  • DanDax1990
    Ok pal I should be ok, I was 18.5 stone but lost bit over 2 since I got my bike about 6 months ago :)

Definitely gonna go for that post.
  • pastey_boy
    Just noticed its an improved model over the original too.
    Viner Salviati
    Shark Aero Pro
    Px Ti Custom
    Cougar 531
    Sab single speed
    Argon 18 E-112 TT
    One-one Ti 456 Evo
    Ridley Cheetah TT
    Yeti ASR 5
    Cove Hummer XC Ti
  • DanDax1990
    A bit of ano red on the Sabbath would look good ;) Haha.
  • pastey_boy
    DanDax1990 wrote:
    A bit of ano red on the Sabbath would look good ;) Haha.
    That is either sarcasm or you dont know my history with anodised red componentry. :lol:
    Viner Salviati
    Shark Aero Pro
    Px Ti Custom
    Cougar 531
    Sab single speed
    Argon 18 E-112 TT
    One-one Ti 456 Evo
    Ridley Cheetah TT
    Yeti ASR 5
    Cove Hummer XC Ti
  • DanDax1990
    Everybody needs ano red in their life... Just told the missus she can buy me one for Christmas and she agreed aslong as it had ano red on it... Jackpot.
  • Hi, has anyone now had and tried one of the FORCA/ICE V8 posts mentioned in this thread?

Been watching this on eBay which says its the same updated 2013 model just with alternative branding;
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TMARS-REMOTE- ... 3a7c3a5708

Just over £70 all in seems reasonable....
  • anj132
    anj132 Posts: 299
    Will tell you after Christmas :)
  • anj132
    anj132 Posts: 299
    It went down and it came back up again. As expected really.
  • bennett_346
    bennett_346 Posts: 5,029
    lawman wrote:

Peasant!! No body does that anymore :P
    I hope that was a joke.
  • anj132 wrote:
    It went down and it came back up again. As expected really.

How's the seat post doing after some use? I've not got round to buying one yet but after last nights ride I need to...