Emergency App

meanredspider
meanredspider Posts: 12,337
edited October 2012 in Commuting chat
Does anybody know of a good iPhone app that detects when you've had an "off" on your bike and, if you don't respond, "calls for help" ? There's a few apps of this type about - many of which are ski-related - but as it gets dark and icy, I wouldn't mind one for my isolated commute
ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH

Comments

• fossyant
    fossyant Posts: 2,549
    To many chances for it to go wrong I'd think.
  • meanredspider
    fossyant wrote:
    To many chances for it to go wrong I'd think.

Possibly - it is my biggest concern though
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • meanredspider

Yup - pretty much but I'm not sure it needs the helmet bit - the iPhone already has sensors.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,768
    does Mrs MRS have an iPhone? If so couldn't she use FindmyiPhone to track your movements, if you're late she can use it to find you.
  • meanredspider
    Veronese68 wrote:
    does Mrs MRS have an iPhone? If so couldn't she use FindmyiPhone to track your movements, if you're late she can use it to find you.

Good idea but it's usually on the way to work that I'm at the most risk. I thought that there was already a good app for this but it seems that this ICEdot thing is the most anticipated (can't find anything else) - and April is too late.

I read that Apple is working on a crash sensor for the iPhone.

Just have to ride a bit more carefully :wink:
  • You really only need something that sends out an "alert" if your Gps position doesn't change for a couple of minutes during your commute... That said, I don't know if there is such a thing.
    '12 CAAD 8 Tiagra
  • meanredspider
    There are apps that send an alert if it doesn't detect movement
  • There you go, then Mrs Spider could get the alert and then activate "find my iPhone" (assuming she hasn't eaten you, they do that)
    '12 CAAD 8 Tiagra
  • sketchley
    sketchley Posts: 4,238
    All you need is a tracking app, that sends data of where you are to your home pc or a website, it would be fairly easy then to write an application that could alert based on all kinds of things, like no movement for a time period, or being late at a check point that kind of thing. The app would run on pc or web server all you need is to get the tracking info. Might be worth firing an email to Endomondo they could add an alerting function fairly easily. They may even have an Api......
    --
    Chris

Genesis Equilibrium - FCN 3/4/5
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    I'd have thought that accelerometers would do the job fine, how effective an app would be is more a question of how it interprets the data.
  • meanredspider
    I found an app that basically monitors your movement. If it stops, it will text, mail and Facebook a "buddy" with your location. That will probably do the trick. Might test it
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    bompington wrote:
    I'd have thought that accelerometers would do the job fine, how effective an app would be is more a question of how it interprets the data.

It would be easy to fool if you were MTBing though. Go off a big jump and stop for a few minutes to watch other riders coming down....
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    bails87 wrote:
    bompington wrote:

It would be easy to fool if you were MTBing though. Go off a big jump and stop for a few minutes to watch other riders coming down....
    Or traffic lights. You do stop on red don't you? :lol:
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • meanredspider
    daviesee wrote:

I think the idea is that it is very sensitive to movement and has minutes rather than seconds of stillness before triggered.
  • bails87
    daviesee wrote:

I think the idea is that it is very sensitive to movement and has minutes rather than seconds of stillness before triggered.
    Plus I'd expect it would need a 'bang' of some sort to make it think you'd fallen off.

As already said, endomondo can do live tracking, but it obviously relies on phone signal, which might be a problem where you ride.
    MTB/CX

• daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    daviesee wrote:

Could be panic stations when the club stops for cake though! :wink:
    Just picking holes whist trying (failing) to inject humour.
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    daviesee wrote:
    daviesee wrote:

Could be panic stations when the club stops for cake though! :wink:
    Just picking holes whist trying (failing) to inject humour.

You don't ask for much do you? Talk about having your cake and eating it.

(IGMC)
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • I found an app that basically monitors your movement. If it stops, it will text, mail and Facebook a "buddy" with your location. That will probably do the trick. Might test it

Which app did you find out of interest?

Thanks

Jon
    Commuting between Twickenham <---> Barbican on my trusty Ridgeback Hybrid - url=http://strava.com/athletes/125938/badge]strava[/url
  • fossyant
    fossyant Posts: 2,549
    I'd worry about the app causing unnecessary alarm or concern if it goes off.

Are you using ice tyres ? Do you have an alternative mode of transport if things aren't good ?

I've come off on ice three times on one ride many years ago. These snow and ice tyres are excellent though. I ride the MTB with snow studs in the ice and snow, and not had any problems.
  • meanredspider
    fossyant wrote:
    I'd worry about the app causing unnecessary alarm or concern if it goes off.

Are you using ice tyres ? Do you have an alternative mode of transport if things aren't good ?

I've come off on ice three times on one ride many years ago. These snow and ice tyres are excellent though. I ride the MTB with snow studs in the ice and snow, and not had any problems.

I was going to validate it with a month of rides where I contact only myself if it goes off.

Yes - I use ice tyres. Yes - I have a car but honestly that's in some ways worse when the ice is bad. The dark is as much the problem too - and just the sheer remoteness. This morning, for instance, I was only passed by two Forestry Commission vans going the other way together. It's slightly better when schools are in because I'll also see the school bus and, on a Wednesday, I'll see the bin men.
  • merkin
    merkin Posts: 452
    Presumably the worst case scenario of a false alarm will simply being your nearest and dearest calling to check you are ok while you are sat at lights, fixing a puncture, eating cake or whatever. As long as you answer then no harm done. There must be settings for how long a delay before it puts out an alert. It sounds a good idea for peace of mind for your partners.
  • meanredspider
    So I tested the app this morning. I set the "no movement detected" timer to the default 5 minutes. I got slightly distracted talking to the VP's PA on the way into my office and the app was 57s away from sending an alert when I turned it off.
  • bails87
    I got slightly distracted talking to the VP's PA

The secretary?
    MTB/CX

• meanredspider
    bails87 wrote:
    I got slightly distracted talking to the VP's PA

The secretary?

Personal Assistant
  • FoldingJoe
    FoldingJoe Posts: 1,327
    I'd be interested to know what the app is, MRS?

Cheers,
    FJ
    Little boy to Obama: "My Dad says that you read all our emails"
    Obama to little boy: "He's not your real Dad"

Kona Honky Tonk for sale: http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=40090&t=13000807
  • meanredspider
    FoldingJoe wrote:

iSOSalert from the Apple App Store (£4.99 IIRC) - I should let you know (because it's not clear until you buy and install it) that you get 10 SMS messages free then you have to pay (dunno what) - that's not so clever though I'm hoping not to need them. The reasoning goes that IOS doesn't let apps send texts so you need to use a 3rd party provider (presumably via the Web)
  • FoldingJoe wrote:

iSOSalert from the Apple App Store (£4.99 IIRC) - I should let you know (because it's not clear until you buy and install it) that you get 10 SMS messages free then you have to pay (dunno what) - that's not so clever though I'm hoping not to need them. The reasoning goes that IOS doesn't let apps send texts so you need to use a 3rd party provider (presumably via the Web)

Does that mean that you need to be dying in a ditch where there is a 3G signal, or will it still work if you are dying with a lesser signal?
    '12 CAAD 8 Tiagra
  • meanredspider
    Does that mean that you need to be dying in a ditch where there is a 3G signal, or will it still work if you are dying with a lesser signal?

I *think* I need to choose a ditch with some form of data signal (GPRS, Edge, 3G, 4G etc). I think most of the ditches on my route are so equipped.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,768

I *think* I need to choose a ditch with some form of data signal (GPRS, Edge, 3G, 4G etc). I think most of the ditches on my route are so equipped.
    Connectivity in ditches. Surely this belongs in the times are changing thread.