Roadify my aspect 35 a little

zanush
zanush Posts: 161
edited October 2012 in MTB buying advice
Since i got my boardman team fs i've hardly used my scott aspect 35 and while i decide whether i'm going to sell it or not, i've decided to bung some road tyres on rather than use my team fs on the road.
I've been looking at some Schwalbe Road Cruiser 26X1.75 (£11.91 @ amazon) and Schwalbe Land Cruiser 26X1.75 (£12.69 @amazon) would these be ok for road aswell as the odd loose sandy style cycle paths? or is there better at a similar price?
Boardman Fs Team
Felt F95

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Most tyres would cope with sandy paths, why not go down to something like a 26x1.5, schwalbe city jet is the default budget option, above that most suppliers have something, Spesh Nimbus, WTB Slickasaurus, Panaracer RiBMo, Kenda etc etc.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • zanush
    I hadn't thought about 26x1.5 tyres tbh, maybe i'm being a bit dim but would they fit ok on the 559x17 rims?
    Boardman Fs Team
    Felt F95
  • Conti Sport contacts 1.6. Awesome road tyre, brilliant puncture protection and free tubes.
  • The Rookie
    1.5's will fit a 17mm rim no problem.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • zanush
    Cheers ;) I'll look at ordering some tomorrow.
    Boardman Fs Team
    Felt F95
  • DanDax1990
    DanDax1990 Posts: 1,201
    I run City Jets and can recommend them...
  • The Rookie
    With no retail outlet in the UK that was a pointless suggestion!

Don't break the habit!
  • zanush
    Cheers for the info ;)
    I've ordered the city jets in 26x1.5...should arrive by the weekend, so will give them a whirl and see what they are like.
    Will i also have to get some new inner tubes as well? seeing as they say 26x1.75-2.5 on the side?
    Boardman Fs Team
    Felt F95
  • zx6man
    zx6man Posts: 1,092
    I changed to city jets, to find anything more than a dusty path was a bit dodgy, commute on road was ace but struggled when out on weekend spins. I went with the land cruisers then and they are great for what I need.
  • The Rookie
    zanush wrote:
    Cheers for the info ;)
    Will i also have to get some new inner tubes as well? seeing as they say 26x1.75-2.5 on the side?
    Yes.....
    Schwalbe ones are fairly light and not too pricey.

My daughter uses CJ's on her commuter including the gravelly coast paths near Aberystwyth, she can't climb steep hills (wheelspin) but otherwise finds them fine.
  • zanush
    The city jets are ordered so i'll just have to see how they fare for me. Are Schwalbe MTB Tube
    26 x 1.0 - 1.5 Presta the tubes for the job?..
    Boardman Fs Team
    Felt F95
  • The Rookie
    Thems the baby's, unless your rim is drilled for Schraeder in which case you can use Schraeder instead!
  • zanush
    Drilled for presta ..so that's them ordered ;)
    Cannie believe how much i've spent so far on bikes and gear ( a lot for me anyway).....especialy as i was only intending to spend 450 max when i got the aspect 35 :|
    Boardman Fs Team
    Felt F95
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    cyd190468 wrote:
    With no retail outlet in the UK that was a pointless suggestion!

Don't break the habit!
    Down here we mostly buy everything online so you don't need a retail outlet. You get good deals from the US at the moment as their dollar is weak.
    Yeah and postage from the US is free, and I am a riding god.

As a matter of interest where is 'down here', just so I know where not to holiday.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    That would explain the combination of ignorance and arrogance.
    As a triple citizen of SA, NZ and the UK I do have somewhat divided loyalties but as long as someone is beating the Ozzies I'm happy.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • The Rookie
    I have 2 cousins living in Melbourne, the one is often getting me to ship stuff from the UK for his Anthem as stuff on Oz is so expensive, guess that's why you think the widgit is cheap?

He did enjoy going into work during the last Ashes series though......Olympics didn't pan out to well for you either mind....
  • The Rookie