Michael Barry in the NYT

Richmond Racer
Richmond Racer Posts: 8,561
edited October 2012 in Pro race
I want to give this its own thread, because otherwise it will just get lost in the Lance thread - and I think this deserves a decent amount of attention. Barry is making some really fundamental points here...

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/10/16/sport ... wanted=all

Comments

• LangerDan
    LangerDan Posts: 6,132
    In the words of Basil Fawlty - "Do I detect the smell of burning martyr?"

As I was reading the NYT article, I was also listening to Christophe Basson on 5 live. One of them was a victim and it wasn't Barry.
    'This week I 'ave been mostly been climbing like Basso - Shirley Basso.'
  • Coach H
    Coach H Posts: 1,092
    I want to give this its own thread, because otherwise it will just get lost in the Lance thread - and I think this deserves a decent amount of attention. Barry is making some really fundamental points here...

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/10/16/sport ... wanted=all

Agood piece, but one amongst many with no real bite. You can have all the best discussion pieces on the world but until Fat Pat takes notice they are all words.

Now, if Barry and the others camp outside Agile with a camera crew demanding action or a general strike that MAY make a difference (If i remember correctly the majority of F1 drivers threatened to stop in the wake of Senna's death, the FIA were happy to call it racing in the first instance)
    Coach H. (Dont ask me for training advice - 'It's not about the bike')
  • I know, I know..I've just listened to Bassons on the 5Live prog too...

But that doesnt mean that Barry doesnt make some worthwhile points about procycling
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    Until Barry sends Floyd a bunch of flowers and a teddy to apologise for being a c**t, I don't care what he has to say.
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Meh.

Nothing we couldn't come up with here.
  • iainf72 wrote:
    Until Barry sends Floyd a bunch of flowers and a teddy to apologise for being a c**t, I don't care what he has to say.

Has Landis sent flowers and a teddy to LeMond for what he had his 'lawyer' do, which was actually pretty evil?
  • rick_chasey
    iainf72 wrote:

Has Landis sent flowers and a teddy to LeMond for what he had his 'lawyer' do, which was actually pretty evil?

This has a familar ring to it, doesn't it Iain?
  • Oh no, if both Iain and Rick are going to gang up on me...I'm throwing in the towel now... :)
  • iainf72
    iainf72 wrote:

Yes

http://sports.espn.go.com/oly/cycling/n ... id=5211166

But don't let facts ruin your straw man lads :lol:
  • rick_chasey
    *shrugs* Shouldn't have done it to begin with.

Lemond's a forgiving bloke.
  • iainf72

Yes, he shouldn't have told his moronic friend something and then his moronic friend shouldn't have phoned Lemond.

Holy David and Barry both owe Floyd an apology. Holy David perhaps more so.
  • iainf72 wrote:

Yes, he shouldn't have told his moronic friend something and then his moronic friend shouldn't have phoned Lemond.

Iain, there are so many apologies given or due, left right and centre, cycling might as well have its own Woodstock love-in and get it over with in one fell swoop
  • rick_chasey
    iainf72 wrote:

What for?
  • iainf72

What for?

http://www.denverpost.com/sports/ci_15175682

It would appear Floyd was telling the truth. and Millar really pissed off Floyd.

And with this kind of reaction people think Millar should run cycling?
  • rick_chasey
    Tend to agree with Millar on that.

It's a long long way back for Landis to gain any kind of positve reaction from me tbh.

'Fessing up when he's thrown it all away anyway was the very least he could and should do.
  • afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    Cycling must follow the long-established pattern of most pro sports, developing a league where teams are stable and sustainable and where all profits are shared.

From this I take it he ain't a football fan.
  • knedlicky
    knedlicky Posts: 3,097
    A doper calling for a ‘new path to a clean sport’ isn’t new, even Virenque, when he admitted in Oct 2000 that he’d doped, said something like, cycling had to clean up now or it never will be able to. But no big brush came from the HV top then and, although in bits and pieces doping has been uncovered since, Virenque wasn't completely wrong.

I’m not sure about Barry’s idea of governmental involvement – if he just means helping recreational and commuter cycling to develop, okay, but I don’t think government should be in professional competitive sport more than it is now (which I think is already too much).
  • knedlicky
    knedlicky Posts: 3,097
    It's a long long way back for Landis to gain any kind of positve reaction from me tbh.
    'Fessing up when he's thrown it all away anyway was the very least he could and should do.
    Millar preaching others how to behave? If Landis had done what Millar did, including what Le Monde called ‘following the Law of Silence’ (meaning giving no more details or names than he had to), maybe all this now wouldn’t have emerged.

Millar also didn’t behave exactly compliant at first, he first accused grasser Gaumont of being a nutter who was putting the jobs of his team-mates in danger with mad tales, and then spent 2 days in custody telling lies before he decided to admit.

Millar was lucky too – soon after he got back on a Pro-Tour Team, the teams agreed not to take back on board convicted riders until 2 years after they’d finished their ban/sentence. Landis would have had to wait those extra 2 years.

(Has that idea now been abandoned? Contador has been able to come back right away)
  • iainf72

You're not looking at the bigger picture. Millars comments came off the back of Floyd naming a lot of his team mates. It's interesting to compare and contrast JV's comments at the same time.

I'm sure you would've prefered if he'd done it euro style, exhaled through pursed lips, shrugged and said he made a mistake by himself.
  • rick_chasey
    I guess I don't see the context.

Part of me prefers the David Millar / Thomas Dekker style. Be grown up, admit it all, don't f*ck anyone else and, if you're Millar, try and start sorting things out from behind closed doors.

All this public exorcism is all very exciting but I doubt it serves the sport particularly well.
  • Agreed that Barry makes some valid points, but I am with Langer Dan at the moment: Burning Martyr etc etc... Also I'm reacting with a sense of anger and disappointment. Sure he regrets the decisions he made, but does he regret the money he made as a direct result of cheating? Money (and status) that others were cheated out of...
  • too soon?