Wheels: so many choices!

Tigger con carne
Tigger con carne Posts: 181
edited October 2012 in Commuting general
Hi all,

Apologies first as I posted this incorrectly in the Workshop section :oops:

My commuter bike build is starting to go past the planning stages now I've acquired a Project 2 via eBay

Next stage is looking for a decent set of not too expensive 26in wheels to go on my new beastie. They need to be rim brake compatible. These are the options I've scouted out so far:

These Mavic hub/rim combos from Evans, price is actually cheaper as I have a code to take 20% off (instead of the quoted 9%) so they come in at £133

These Deore hubs on Mach 1 rims from Merlin

The basic form of these, again from Merlin, Deore hubs on Mavic XM317 rims

I'm after reasonable performance on tarmac and low maintenance, but nothing that looks too flashy that makes the bike stand out as a possible theft target. I've got to say the quoted weight of the Mavics looks pretty good at 1700g, but I'm not sure I can justify the extra 50 quid or so over the other two since weight isn't going to be too critical since the addition of a rack, bag etc. which will add a chunk of variable extra weight depending on what work clothes I'm carrying, if I need to carry any work round with me and what's in my sandwiches on any given day :D

Has anyone any experience with any of these?

Also, and excuse me if this is a dumb question, the frame I'm using is a late 90s Stumpjumper M2 (yes, some might see this as sacrilege, like making Red Rum pull a rag and bone cart) which doesn't have rack mounts which I would like. A quick snoop on Google suggests there are ways round this through special bracket fittings. Do they work?

Thanks

Comments