voodoo hoodoo or gt avalanche 1.0

BikeRadarUser10
BikeRadarUser10 Posts: 4
edited October 2012 in MTB buying advice
Hi, i'm buying my 1st bike in a long time. read good reviews for voodoo hoodoo from halfords at around £470.
Or i can have a gt avalanche 1.0 2012 model delivered for £400. Specs below. please advise. I'd be very grateful of your feedback. many thanks, Paul.

In the last ten years, there's been something of a revolution in trail riding, with dedicated trail centres appearing throughout the UK. This kind of revolution demands a dedicated series of trail bikes to match.
Sizes: XS, S, M, L, XL
Frame: 6061-T6 aluminium frame, double butted, post disc mount, replaceable derailleur hanger
Fork: RockShox XC30 TK 100mm travel with magnesium lowers, steel uppers, forged crown, turn key lockout and rebound adjust
Chainset: FSA Gamma Drive MegaExo, triple 42/32/24
Bottom Bracket: FSA MegaExo
Pedals: GT Slim line, flats
Front Derailleur: Shimano Deore
Rear Derailleur: Shimano Deore XT
Shifters: Shimano Deore Rapid Fire
Cassette: Shimano 10 speed (11-36)
Chain: KMC X10
Rims: All Terra HP17 disc, double wall
Tyres: Maxxis Sphinx 26 x 2.10 (F)/1.95 (R)
Front Hub: All Terra alloy disc, QR
Rear Hub: All Terra alloy disc, QR
Spokes: 14G Stainless
Brakes: Avid Elixir 1 with 160mm Rotor
Brake Levers: Avid Elixir 1
Handlebar: All Terra 6061 aluminium flat top riser, 690mm wide, 15mm rise
Stem: All Terra 1 1/8" threadless
Grips: Dual Density, GT Wing
Headset: FSA No. 11
Saddle: WTB Volt
Seat Post:All Terra alloy micro-adjust
Fork Material: Suspension
Frame Material: Aluminium Alloy
Model Year: 2012
MTB
Unisex
Ridden by Race Whippets and Weekend Warriors alike, trail bikes balance strength and durability with light weight and reliability, so they are equally at home on the singletrack, the sprint for the finish line or a Sunday thrash with your friends.

From the all-day ride ability of the Sensor, to the classic aluminium hardtail approach of the Avalanche and Aggressor, there's a trail bike for whatever you ride however you ride it.

Voodoo Hoodoo spec
Approximate Weight (KG): 14.1kg
Brake Type: Hydraulic Disc
Chainset: Shimano FC-M430
Fork Lock-out : Yes
Fork travel: 120mm
Forks: 120mm Suntour Raidon X1 air suspension fork with remote lockout
Frame Colour: Satin Red
Frame Material: Alloy
Frame Size: 17-18
Frame-: Lightweight 7005 aluminium
Front Brake: Tektro Gemini Hydraulic disc 180mm rotor
Front Mech: Shimano Alivio FD-M430
Gear Shifters: Shimano Alivio SL-M430 27spd
Handle Bars: Riser 31.8mm
Headset: 1 1/8 Aheadset
Hubs: Formula 32 hole Q/R disc hub
Number of Gears: 27
Rear Brake: Tektro Gemini Hydraulic disc 180mm rotor
Rear Mech: Shimano Alivio RD-M430
Rims: Double wall black 32 hole disc rim
Saddle: VL-3165
Seatpost: 400mm Alloy 27.2
Suspension: Front 
Tyre size: 2.25"
Tyres: Maxxis Ardent 26 x 2.25
Wheel size: 26"
Exact Frame Size: 18"

Comments

• LJ.
    LJ. Posts: 149
    I would go for the Hoodoo without a doubt, it's got that more aggressive style about it. If it was between the Zaskar Comp and the Hoodoo then I might have to think about it a little more
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    The GT has the better spec, and is the lighter bike. The fork isn't the best, but still does a decent job.
  • anj132
    anj132 Posts: 299
    The hoodoo as the GT looks to be out of stock.

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/gt-avalanche-10-disc-2012/

I blame wiggle.
  • bartimaeus
    bartimaeus Posts: 1,812
    You can get a 2010 GT Avalanche 1 from Paul's for £460 (medium and small only, though).
    Vitus Sentier VR+ (2018) GT Grade AL 105 (2016)
    Giant Anthem X4 (2010) GT Avalanche 1.0 (2010)
    Kingley Vale and QECP Trail Collective - QECP Trail Building
  • I knew i should have bought a gt before they sold out! Any thoughts on the carrera kraken? Again the reviews seem good, but i'm open to suggestions on other bikes in the £400-£500 range. ta
  • supersonic
    Kraken is good, Rockrider 8.1 better.
  • mcnultycop
    mcnultycop Posts: 2,143
    Some cheap GTs on Wiggle, still.
  • odelay1
    odelay1 Posts: 20
    I'm also considering the GT at £400.

Other options are the GT 3.0 at £275 or the Cube Attention at £530.

Out of the GTs do you think it's worth paying the extra? Are the brakes better on the 1.0? I heard on the 3.0 that the brakes make a horrid noise after a bit of use.

Also size for GTs. Would large be the best fit? I'm 5ft 10/11 (32inch leg). Spoke to guy at Evans yesterday and he was saying 'get a large every day of the week'.
  • stiscooby
    stiscooby Posts: 139
    odelay1 wrote:
    I'm also considering the GT at £400.

Other options are the GT 3.0 at £275 or the Cube Attention at £530.

Out of the GTs do you think it's worth paying the extra? Are the brakes better on the 1.0? I heard on the 3.0 that the brakes make a horrid noise after a bit of use.

Also size for GTs. Would large be the best fit? I'm 5ft 10/11 (32inch leg). Spoke to guy at Evans yesterday and he was saying 'get a large every day of the week'.

I would also be interested to hear thoughts on this.

I was looking at possibly getting the Hoodoo but like the look of the GT's too, especially at the Wiggle sale price. I will need a medium size so they still have stock for me.

Someone in another thread said the GT Avalanche 1.0 isn't as good as the Hoodoo but the GT Zaskar comp is on par, although even at the sale price the Zaskar comp would be a bit over £100 more than the Hoodoo, so is it worth the extra?? (as it should be a £1k bike apparently?).
  • odelay1
    One thing that concerns me about the sizing is that the guy at Evans said a large frame will suffice. But then I go on a site and it says the large is 20inch. 20inch will be too big I reckon.
  • supersonic
    The Attention is a better bike than the 3.0, but better can be had for the same money.

As for the Evans guy, he is talking nonsense, he can't possibly know what would fit best - for example I am 6ft with a 35 inside leg, and ride an 18 inch Zaskar.
  • stiscooby
    If it helps, I'm a short arse (about 5'8") and my previous bike was a medium (18") and I wouldn't have wanted it any bigger. Thats been stolen however, so I'm now on the search for the next.

So, Hoodoo, GT Avalanche 1.0 or push the boat out (money wise) and grab a GT Zaska while they are still available? Was looking to spend around £400 give or take a bit, but if a GT Zaska is wortht the extra £100 or so, then I don't mind spending the extra if it means I will get a better bike?

Decisions, decisions..........
  • odelay1
    Supersonic (and other posters), thanks for the post. What bikes do you think are better (at similar price) than the cube attention.

I'm tempted by the GT 3.0 because it'll be my first mountain bike in years, cracking price and I'll have cash left over to get guards, lights etc.

About the Evans chap, I kind of agree. How can he say large is the one to go for. I'm going to test a few out for size at the weekend.
  • odelay1
    Wiggle have changed prices. Now 40% off instead of 50%. Ahh
  • I've taken the plunge and ordered the gt avalanche 1.0 from wiggle fir £400.
    doesn't seem a bad buy, but the more i looked at all the other options, the more confused i got. I'm sure it will be fine and do the job for me. thanks for all your input. i went for the medium, i'm 5' 10" with 32" leg so should be ok.

here's to a numb a#se and crappy weather.
  • handful
    handful Posts: 920
    odelay1 wrote:
    Supersonic (and other posters), thanks for the post. What bikes do you think are better (at similar price) than the cube attention.

I'm tempted by the GT 3.0 because it'll be my first mountain bike in years, cracking price and I'll have cash left over to get guards, lights etc.

About the Evans chap, I kind of agree. How can he say large is the one to go for. I'm going to test a few out for size at the weekend.

I had an Avalanche 1 until around 3 years ago. Great bike and mine was large but I'm 6ft and did wonder sometimes whether I should have gone for the medium. BikeRadarUser10, the medium should be fine for you as well I reckon although you really should try because we are all different shapes even if the same height!
    Vaaru Titanium Sram Red eTap
    Moda Chord with drop bars and Rival shifters - winter/do it all bike
    Orbea Rise
  • I had a avalanche 2.0 I'm 6ft 32 inside leg, it was a large and IMO too big for me as my next bikes were medium and far better for me to ride and even sit on...

All I could suggest is the same as everyone else go and try one on for size so to speak
  • stiscooby
    Bugger, sale changed to 40% now!!! Thats pushed the zaska over £600 so more than I want to spend.

Back to the drawing board!