Replace rear QR?

larkim
larkim Posts: 2,485
edited October 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
On my trusty old £99 Toys R Us bike (:eek:) I was able to hook on a trailer for my smaller kids by adding a special bracket in between the left hand side axel nut and the frame.

Would like to take this trailer on a short holiday soon, and I've bought a Rockrider with a QR skewer there instead. I'm fairly sure that the bracket can't be added on unless I replace the QR setup with a traditional bolt.

Is this a fairly straightforward swap, or should I jut put up with taking the old bike to drag them along?

Matt
2015 Canyon Nerve AL 6.0 (son #1's)
2011 Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc (son #4s)
2013 Decathlon Triban 3 (red) (mine)
2019 Hoy Bonaly 26" Disc (son #2s)
2018 Voodoo Bizango (mine)
2018 Voodoo Maji (wife's)

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    it depends on the hub.

and some will work with a Qr.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • larkim
    Just so I understand, are you saying that whether I can remove the QR skewer from the rear hub will depend on the way the hub is set up?

Yes, I've see that some brackets do work with QR, but fairly certain that the one that I have won't - the hole through which the axel passes on the bracket is, I think, wider (or very close to the tolerance on) than the QR skewer itself, so at the very least I'd need a washer / adaptor in between the QR bolt and the bracket. But of course to put that in place I'd need to remove the whole of the QR skewer, or at the very least just the end of the QR skewer, and that's not something I've done before so not sure how to go about that.

Matt
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Just take the nut off the end and the skewer will slide straight out.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    What is the hub?
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • larkim
    cooldad wrote:
    Just take the nut off the end and the skewer will slide straight out.

Thanks, I'll give that a go. Does the the skewer need greasing up after removing / reinserting? I've only ever removed an axel from a cheap BMX, and that required removing the bearings, cleaning, greasing up etc etc. Given that the skewer is effectively the axel for the wheel, I presume some of those same issues will arise?

Matt
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    edited October 2012
    Nope, the skewer is not the axle, it just holds the wheelnuts (or nut and QR handle to be specific) together. The QR goes inside the actual axle, which is hollow.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • larkim
    Aha, that's the bit of logic I was missing! Thanks, that makes sense.

I shall be extracting said skewer with no fear tonight!!
  • larkim
    Now that would be extreme! Actually, its a 29in "Big RR" so the wheel sizes would be an issue. But in the end, it was easy. Bike upside down in a stand, undid QR, slid it out (taking care not to lose the springs), slide on the bracket, replace QR and tighten up. Having always stayed clear of doing stuff around the rear axel before, I think I was imaging problems that weren't actually there!

Cheers!

Matt
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Nothing much on a bike you need to be frightend of really!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • larkim
    You haven't seen what I've done to my kids brake cables over the years!!! :oops:
  • larkim
    cyd190468 wrote:
    Probably should make sure the QR is nice and firm as the bracket will introduce a bit more play and different forces. But I guess your probably not going to set any speed records while towing anyway.

Yup. Can't really see exceeding 10mph round the circuits at CenterParcs!! But yes, I've given it an exta bit of wellie when tightening up, and will be checking it regularly!
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Ideal candidate for a Shimano QR, they are 'simply the best' in terms of clamping as the internal cam is a higher clamp ratio and also less prone top friction due to crud.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.