3 SMIDSYs today

daddy0
daddy0 Posts: 686
edited October 2012 in Commuting chat
Is it national cry for help day or something? Had 3 pedestrians walk out on me without looking on my way in this morning. One goth who did the rabbit in the headlights freeze :shock: , one old lady who was oblivious and kept going :roll: , and one Delboy who actually said "Sorry mate, I didn't see ya" and then patted my bum as I swerved around him?!?! :?

Luckily my downhill top speed attempt was safe! :twisted:

Comments

• EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    airzound1.jpg
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • TommyEss
    TommyEss Posts: 1,855
    Daddy0 wrote:
    and one Delboy who actually said "Sorry mate, I didn't see ya" and then patted my bum as I swerved around him?!?!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8EI7p2p1QJI
    Cannondale Synapse 105, Giant Defy 3, Giant Omnium, Giant Trance X2, EMC R1.0, Ridgeback Platinum, On One Il Pompino...
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    I never thought this was a good cycling outfit (not the nun :wink: )

Urban-Camouflage-6.jpg
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • daddy0
    Ah the Airzound looks cool. Looks like just what I need to scare off any future Delboy gropers!

Although I would probably not use it on the doddery old dear, 115db in the face would've finished her off...
  • davmaggs
    davmaggs Posts: 1,008
    It could of course be random bad luck, or perhaps that light levels are edging towards winter and people aren't quite paying attention. I tend to put my lights on at this time of year.

I had a day similar at the start of last year, and realised that I'd not kept on top of recharging my lights so they faded down part way through the journey.
  • paulg99
    paulg99 Posts: 55
    Daddy0 wrote:
    Ah the Airzound looks cool. Looks like just what I need to scare off any future Delboy gropers!

Although I would probably not use it on the doddery old dear, 115db in the face would've finished her off...

I hope that wasn't Petronella Wyatt's mum!! :twisted:
  • CJ Bill
    CJ Bill Posts: 415
    davmaggs wrote:
    It could have course be random bad luck, or perhaps that light levels are edging towards winter and people aren't quite paying attention. I tend to put my lights on at this time of year.

I had a day similar at the start of last year, and realised that I'd not kept on top of recharging my lights so they faded down part way through the journey.

I think it's just that time of year. Wait till the clocks go back...
  • daddy0
    Daylight conditions were good though - I had a late start today so this between 9:30 and 10am. I even had my shades on and could see perfectly fine (must by some clear lenses for winter). The only reason I didn't slow down for the Delboy was because he was having a convo with his mate, shouted "luvly jubbly" and literately span round 180 degrees and jumped out in front of me all in a few milliseconds whilst I was checking my six. I anticipated and slowed down for the other two jumpers.

I did have a new freewheel fitted this weekend though, so I am much quieter (and a bit faster) than I was last week. Maybe that's it??
  • davmaggs
    davmaggs Posts: 1,008
    My theory is based on no science at all, but there is something about this autumn type light (or perhaps weather) that means that people don't seem to see bicycles very well. In a month's time we'll be into winter routine, and the blunders will reduce.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Your problem was commuting 'out of hours', at rush hour they would have expected you!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • daddy0
    I see! Well, having not commuted for a few years until recently, I will take all your sage words and act upon them!

Time to order the Airzound, a fluro jacket and a new headlight to boot!