Scariest Dr Who episode

Kieran_Burns
Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
edited October 2012 in Commuting chat
I've just been watching Christopher Eccleston's brief stint as Dr Who and "The Empty Child" was frankly scary as hell (WWII child with the gas mask). The part with the mask growing out of Richard Wilson's face had me crawling up the back of the chair. :shock:

So. when you were growing up, which was the scariest episode for you?

Mine was always the Green Death. I will not watch it again. Simply because I know that as an adult I will find the effects laughable; but as a small boy: they scared the hell out of me.
Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
2011 Trek Madone 4.5
2012 Felt F65X
Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter

Comments

• rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    The Pyramids of Mars was the one that really scared me - Egyptian mummies in an old house...... I have seen it relatively recently and the effects were laughable but it was still ok.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • PBo
    PBo Posts: 2,493
    John pertwee's final outing with the giant spiders.....
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    As a 6yr old anything with the cybermen had me watching with a cushion in front of my face, unfortunately that is still the issue as a 40yr old :oops:
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • daddy0
    daddy0 Posts: 686
    MTFU.

Dr Who is not scary!
  • DrLex
    DrLex Posts: 2,142
    Terror of the Autons for me- still reluctant to smell flowers forty years on.
  • Kieran_Burns
    Daddy0 wrote:
    MTFU.

Dr Who is not scary!

You did read the bit where I said "when you were growing up..." didn't you?
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 61,059
    Mine was always the Green Death. I will not watch it again. Simply because I know that as an adult I will find the effects laughable; but as a small boy: they scared the hell out of me.
    Beat me to it. Scared the cr@p out of me when I was a kid, but I did watch it again a few years ago and it was so bad it was funny. They must have got those maggots that anglers put on their hooks as bait to use as the 'monsters'. :)
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • Kieran_Burns
    DrLex wrote:
    Terror of the Autons for me- still reluctant to smell flowers forty years on.

Oh God - that was one the with the chair that smothered that guy. The actor that played the master was up there with the Child Catcher for creepy!
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
  • mudcow007
    mudcow007 Posts: 3,861
    most of them

i still remember now saying to my mum an dad "oh go on, let me watch them, i promise i wont get nightmares etc etc...." an yep every time i watched them i was scared witless an had nightmares
    Keeping it classy since '83
  • Stevo 666 wrote:
    Beat me to it. Scared the cr@p out of me when I was a kid, but I did watch it again a few years ago and it was so bad it was funny. They must have got those maggots that anglers put on their hooks as bait to use as the 'monsters'. :)

Thats the one i was thinking of. Watched it with my niece a few years about - like they say "never go back"
    The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns
    momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.
  • gbsahne001
    gbsahne001 Posts: 1,973
    One from Tennant's collection; the angels
  • Hoopdriver
    Hoopdriver Posts: 2,023
    Yes, the weeping angels. Scary.
  • Kieran_Burns
    Hoopdriver wrote:

The first episode was very well done. The whole unknown danger aspect was proper seat of the pants stuff
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
  • Agent57
    Agent57 Posts: 2,300
    The scariest thing I remember as a child was an episode of... I can't recall what it was an episode of. But basically one of the characters looked out of a window at night, outside a group of masked druids or something looked up. That's all I can remember, but for some reason it scared me. Enough that I can recall it, some 35 years later.

Might have been "Children of the Stones", which according to Wikipedia " is frequently cited by those who remember it as one of the scariest things they saw as children".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Children_of_the_Stones
    MTB commuter / 531c commuter / CR1 Team 2009 / RockHopper Pro Disc / 10 mile PB: 25:52 (Jun 2014)
  • The most terrifying Dr. Who episode surely has to be where he regenerated and it was Sylvester McCoy. Although Peter Davison is up there too (Tom Baker fell off a radio telescope IIRC).
  • rhext
    rhext Posts: 1,639
    Dr Who and the Seeds of Doom for me. I had a very sheltered upbringing, in that we didn't have a telly in the house until I was I guess about 10ish. My Gran had an old black-and-white which we were allowed to watch on the rare occasions that we went to see her. My childhood experience of telly was therefore maybe 2 or 3 times a year watching old cowboy movies in black-and-white.....and then somehow we tuned into an episode of Dr Who. I had nightmares for weeks about that one...the bit where the seed hatches and latches onto the back of someone's hand.
  • mudcow007
    mudcow007 Posts: 3,861
    No Dr Who

but the scariest thing i seen on telly was this episode of Buffy the vampire slayer

tumblr_lkhytizuSW1qd0wwq_zpsfe696d94.jpg

it was called "Hush"

freaking scary man
    Keeping it classy since '83
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 61,059
    Stevo 666 wrote:

Thats the one i was thinking of. Watched it with my niece a few years about - like they say "never go back"

Go on, click :D
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • msmancunia
    msmancunia Posts: 1,415
    My boss, who is a Dr Who expert (and created a BBC competition last year for schoolchildren to write an episode) said The Deadly Assassin (Tom Baker).
    Commute: Chadderton - Sportcity
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,337
    The Bertie Bassett one - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Happiness_Patrol

Found the more recent Bassetts adverts slightly sinister as a result.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • As a kid the scariest I can remember was when the daleks learnt to deal with stairs, in "Rememberance of the Daleks" in 1988 - I was 9 at the time.

More recently, "The time of angels" and "The empty child" were reasonably scary - though nothing compares to watching Dr Who as a kid.
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    I never bothered with it much as a kid so can't offer an opinion other than to flag up that Carey Muuligan in Weeping Angels was just the full 10.

Boy #2 (nearly 10 now) in our house was a full-on Who fan up till the last couple of series but nowadays the constant pushing of the gay agenda & relationships ishoooos has bored him to the point where he's not that bothered but quite happily spends some of his pocket money buying old episodes on DVD, esp Tom Baker and the b/w Patrick Troughton shows. He wants exciting thrills, not The Doctor kissing everybody in his path.
  • gbsahne001
    A few of the Tom Baker episodes that stick in my mind;-
      - The Talons Of Weng-Chiang
      - The Robots Of Death
      - Nightmare Of Eden

The last one for having an OHP image that you could interact with and walk into, which as an 11yo seemed really cool. The first one primarily because it was creepy and also had Leela running around in furs and not much else.
  • Hoopdriver wrote:

Got to agree with this, the one that just could be true, scare me.
    --
    Saw a sign on a restaurant that said Breakfast, any time -- so I ordered French Toast in the Renaissance.
  • wyadvd
    wyadvd Posts: 590
    i remember a john petwee episode with FO massive maggots that were semi- carniverous.

scared the hell out of me. Kids need the hell scared out of them its good for the soul.

heres a link goddamn it was 1974! I was eight years old!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/doctorwho/classic/ ... tail.shtml
  • Kieran_Burns
    wyadvd wrote:
    i remember a john petwee episode with FO massive maggots that were semi- carniverous.

scared the hell out of me. Kids need the hell scared out of them its good for the soul.

heres a link goddamn it was 1974! I was eight years old!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/doctorwho/classic/ ... tail.shtml

Yup - that's the same one as me. I can clearly remember a few nightmares thanks to that episode
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
  • beverick
    beverick Posts: 3,461
    Any episode with Peter Davidson in it....

His acting was that bad....

Bob
  • SimonAH
    SimonAH Posts: 3,730
    beverick wrote:
    Any episode with Peter Davidson in it....

His acting was that bad....

Bob

Oh he was truly poor wasn't he?

My childhood Dr Who memories are the black and white credits and hiding behind the sofa.

The gasmask-face-child one though was proper good.
    FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
    CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
    Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.
  • gbsahne001
    and the slight issue with continuity, where a gallifreyan guard was played by an actor, who went on to become the 6th doctor
  • NGale
    NGale Posts: 1,866
    the first one with the weaping angels, I'm an adult and that scares the poop out of me more than any episode from my childhood :shock:
    Officers don't run, it's undignified and panics the men