Lipstickxx
Lipstickxx Posts: 10
edited October 2012 in Road beginners
Hello
I am new to road bikes and I am not sure which bike to get out of these 3 :

1)Allez Sport 2012
2)Allez Sport 2013
3)Allez elite 2011

I wanted to get the 2012 at the start , though i was reading that there is problems with the Sora shifters on it.
I was told that i can change the rear ones for a difference of like 25$ for the tiagra. Is it worth?
The 2013 is not found at the moment where i live.(Probably will be available soon)
The elite 2011 seems to have tiagra shifters and is 150$ more than the sport 2012.

Any suggestions ?
Thanks.

Comments

• Sprool
    Sprool Posts: 1,022
    what is your budget?
    Whats wrong with Sora's? (other than the fact I don't like the thumb button for downshifting) theres thousands of happy cyclists using soras no problem.
  • Thanks for the reply :D

My budget is around 1200$.
    What would you recommend out of the 3 ?
  • Sprool
    id go for the 2011 elite with tiagras ;) Go sit on all 3 and see which one feels right to you.
  • I see thanks :D Is there anything really on the 2012 sport that is better than the 2011 elite ?
  • Sprool
    just the soras vs tiagras, i dont know the specs on the wheels. You can probably google the full specs. The aluminium frame appears to be slightly different spec but you'd probably not notice any difference. You should get more bike for your buck if you buy a 2011 model over a 2012 model. I got a good deal on my scott by going for a 2011 S30 instead of the 2012 model. Some are happy to pay more for the latest model, some hunt for the good deals ;) I think most hi-tech companies spend every year tweaking stuff to relaunch for the next year and try to justify higher prices for the early adopters but in reality they are just reinventing the wheel, a lot of improvements are negligible and not worth the extra money.
  • Thanks a lot :D one last question if you do not mind , Between both bikes , which is better for racing as i may consider it.
  • Sprool
    both will be great entry-level machines. ;)
    If you want to race seriously, you will know what to upgrade to and why after 6 months hard riding.