Do I need a new saddle, or do I need to just man up?

joeyyeahyeah
joeyyeahyeah Posts: 16
edited October 2012 in MTB beginners
Hey up,

Just got my first bike (a cube ltd pro that I'm really loving so far). I'm finding the Selle Italia Saddle a bit hard on the old behind. As I said, I'm new to mountain biking, so I'm not sure whether I need a different saddle, or whether my rear is just acclimatising to life of getting battered (ahem!).

The terrain I've been riding is not particularly challenging, but is bumpy in patches and boggy at the moment. The reason I question whether a new saddle will help is because the discomfort I'm experiencing seems to be on the sit bones, not between them. So, is this something I just have to bear for a while? The last ride I went on I found myself resting my weight on my pedals to ease my weight on the saddle- that doesn't seem right somehow...

This is my first post (woo-hoo! It's great to be here), so I thank you for your help and advice on this, er... delicate subject :? ;-)

Cheers Folks

Joe

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    MTFU - you butt will toughen up.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Your but will take a few rides to harden up, as long as it's just 2 'tender' spots on your sit bones and your not rubbing up sores....

If I'm off my bike for a few weeks my butt hurts a little after the first 2/3 rides back.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • benpinnick
    benpinnick Posts: 4,148
    If its one of those RFR Cube saddles that are kind of diamond shaped.... stick it in the bin and buy a new one. Not worth the faux leather they are made from.
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • Alibran
    Alibran Posts: 370
    If the discomfort is on your sit bones, then your weight is resting in the right place, so the saddle is probably right for you. It's most likely just a case of getting used to it. I find the same if I've been off the bike for a while. The first few rides are uncomfortable.
  • zx6man
    zx6man Posts: 1,092
    I got a Selle Italia for my MTB the day I got it, as I thought a gel seat would be better, but have now swapped it to a charge spoon as I could never get fully comfy on it. New one is ace.
  • Rushmore
    Rushmore Posts: 674
    I had a Selle Italia on my ghost....

it's now in the bin after getting ball ache after every ride and a numb noo noo..
    Always remember.... Wherever you go, there you are.

Ghost AMR 7500 2012
    De Rosa R838
  • jay197
    jay197 Posts: 196
    edited October 2012
    Hi Joey,

If you have not ridden for a while then your sit bones will be sore for a week or so while they harden up... ( see Rule No.5 )

You will however, definitely want to invest in a decent set of "padded" bib shorts, and some good quality chamois cream, and that will make a huge difference.

If however your current saddle feels like a sheet of sandpaper tied to a brick :shock: .......then drop me a line at http://www.tryasaddle.co.uk and you can test some other saddles with no obligation.

There are loads of very comfortable lightweight road/mtb bike saddles to choose from in any case.
  • Cheers for all the feedback. I suspected it might be a case of getting used to it. Interesting that quite a few people have found the Cube saddle to be uncomfortable, though. Maybe I'll give it a month or so, then consider a swap if it's still giving me grief... I'm gathering that the Charge Spoon is a very different shape to the Selle Italia? Anyone tried both?
  • mcnultycop
    mcnultycop Posts: 2,143
    I have a Charge Spoon on one bike and a Selle Italia X1 on the other, and both are comfy for me. I prefer the Selle Italia, but don't plan on changing the Spoon. It's a personal thing.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    The Spoon is a good one to try, nearly everyone finds them comfortable, they aren't too expensive and can readily be sold for what you pay, get the cro-mo railed option if you get one.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • passout
    passout Posts: 4,425
    If its just sit bones, I'd leave it 3 or 4 weeks and see. In the meantime make sure that you are wearing padded shorts or undershorts - essential is spending any short of time on a bike.
    'Happiness serves hardly any other purpose than to make unhappiness possible' Marcel Proust.
  • I have a Cube with an X1 - only took a week for my arse to get used to it. (Still use padded shorts though.)
    2007 Felt Q720 (the ratbike)
    2012 Cube Ltd SL (the hardtail XC 26er)
    2014 Lapierre Zesty TR 329 (the full-sus 29er)
  • The advice on shorts is good, spend your money there rather than buying a different saddle immediately. Also try changing the the saddle tilt and position fore and aft as it can make quite a difference to how much pressure you put on your sit bones. Give it a go for a few rides and let us know how you get on..
  • honestly i used to think the same, after riding many bikes and getting the same pains i thought it was just time to man up.

that was until i bought my specailized rockhopper, it came with the specialized gel seat and from now on, i can ride nothing butt it :P

so keep on the lookout and im sure you will find something
  • kammybear
    kammybear Posts: 500
    I've got the same bike.

It did hurt the first time, but it gets easier and now I don't feel any pain in my bumbum.

Uncle Jimmy said it's normal. :lol:
  • m1tch666
    m1tch666 Posts: 148
    I changed to a Charge Spoon on my Cube hardtail as the standard seat was numbing everything, though it was great, however having taken my hardtail out for a few rides recently (after a couple of months on FS with Gobi XM), the Spoon feels like sitting on a brick.....I'll be changing it for another Gobi shortly lol
    Dartmoor Primal 26" 1 x 10, 40 expander
    Banshee Spitfire 650b 1 x 10, 42 expander
  • I ride with a charge Spoon, anything else gives me scrotal pins and needles :S