Leg pain - Thighs aching a lot, does cold make it worse?

wytco0
wytco0 Posts: 79
edited October 2012 in Road beginners
Well today I went out for my first bike ride for a year or so, I didn't take my new Cannondale Synapse as the weather was forecast to be showery and I am keeping it for good weather only. So I went on my only Hybrid. I carefully planned a route of 15 miles but it ended up being about 20 miles after I went the wrong way.

The met office forecast of showers was completely wrong and it rained heavily for much of the ride. I was felling a little cold but it didn't seem too bad and I felt OK after putting on a warmer top.

However on getting home my thighs were aching much more that I remember from previous rides, and they are now hurting even more to the extent that I am considering taking a pain killer. I did attempt some gentle stretches but they were hurting too much to complete a full stretching session.

I am sure some of the pain is just normal and not helped by me ending up going a fair bit further than planned, but I wonder if getting my leg muscles fairly cold has made things worse?

Any advice on avoiding this in future or how to reduce the pain now?

Comments

• Calpol
    Calpol Posts: 1,039
    So you didn't ride for one year and then rode 20 miles in the pouring rain and you wonder why you have muscle pain! Yes cold weather can make things worse because cold muscles strain easier. I would say you probably overdid it for your first ride back and that the more you ride the easier it will get. Warming up properly before hitting your race pace! or attempting a climb will also help. A pair of leg warmers or roubaix bibs will also aid matters during the winter months.
  • Sprool
    Sprool Posts: 1,022
    go soak in a hot bath to relax your leg muscles. The pain is entirely normal after a long break from cycling. What were you thinking?
  • wytco0
    Thanks for confirmation that it was entirely self inflicted ;-) Next ride will be a lot shorter.

Time for a bath.
  • kingrollo
    kingrollo Posts: 3,198
    Ive recently been persuaded to invest in a foam roller to self massage my hamstrings - it really seems to help pre and post ride - there only around £10
  • wytco0
    kingrollo wrote:
    Ive recently been persuaded to invest in a foam roller to self massage my hamstrings - it really seems to help pre and post ride - there only around £10

Sounds like a good investment, but I am not sure what a foam roller is do you have any links?
  • kingrollo wrote:
    +1. My OH has one, and I steal it now. Hurts like hell (well, on my calves), but in a good way. They look like this.
    Is the gorilla tired yet?
  • Sprool
    Sprool Posts: 1,022
    its a big soft cylinder to lie on, how can that hurt? Now a spiky iron ball swung on a rusty chain - that hurts. Man up! ;)