start of a crack ?

sbd16v
sbd16v Posts: 93
edited October 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
ive already dropped this off at my specialized dealer for them to look at but im impatient lol

its deffinatly not a scratch so its under the clear coat, and ive never noticed it before, i dont know what it could be other than the start of a crack

IMAG0635.jpg

anyone had a crack start like this ?

its obvious in the middle of the picture but there is more just under and also a small line above all seems to be on the same ''line''

ive check'd the rest of the frame and it looks perfect with no defects at all.

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    carbon does not fail like that unless you have hit it. and the visible part of carbon does nothing other than look good.

and i am not sure where you see a crack. a bit of MS paint could have been used to point out where you think you have an issue.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • sbd16v
    hi picture with what i found

maybecrack.jpg

just to add ive had it from new 18 months now and ive never noticed that when cleaning before, so im sure its new
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    ^^^^^^ what Nick said, nothing there looks remotely like a crack.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • sbd16v
    :D:D:D

should have my bike back tommorow then :D:D:D
  • nicklouse wrote:
    carbon does not fail like that unless you have hit it. and the visible part of carbon does nothing other than look good.

and i am not sure where you see a crack. a bit of MS paint could have been used to point out where you think you have an issue.

So if you dont know where OP see's a crack how could you comment on it :?
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    nicklouse wrote:

So if you dont know where OP see's a crack how could you comment on it :?
    easy. the only thing that i could see that looked like a crack.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • sbd16v
    Its at my specialized dealer now and its well in warrenty lol, its a 26 epic expert carbon
  • IF you actually have a crack, & IF you get no joy from your dealer, then try this guy

Mike Nelthorpe,
    H. Q. Fibre Products,
    Blofield Rd.,
    Norwich,
    Norfolk,
    NR13 4AJ

Tel. # 01603 713972

I ran across an article on him in "Practical Sportbikes" because he drag races an Aprilia RS250, with carbon fibre EVERYthing ( almost ! ), but apparently he's been doing repairs to carbon fibre push bikes for years !
    - HTH ?
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Looks very similar to what happened on my Zaskar:

zcrack-1.jpg

This was deemed to be a cosmetic crack in the lacquer. I couldn't feel it, just see it.
  • sbd16v
    Just to update, they dont belive its a crack so ive collected it and rofe it last night with no problems. :)

They just said keep an eye on it see if it grows
  • The Rookie
    sbd16v wrote:
    Just to update, they dont belive its a crack so ive collected it and rofe it last night with no problems. :)

Anyone else see the obvious contradiction in that?
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • sbd16v
    sbd16v wrote:

Anyone else see the obvious contradiction in that?

Not really could you enlighten me ?

They don think its cracked they think its somthing under the lacquer, but if there wrong and it is a crsck then it will grow so keep an eye on it.

Cyd190468

Its a specialized frame i bought new so has a liftime warrenty :)
  • The Rookie
    If it's not a crack it can't grow, so if they don't think it's a crack it can't grow....
  • sbd16v
    If it's not a crack it can't grow, so if they don't think it's a crack it can't grow....

And as i said above they dont THINK its a crack but if there WRONG it will grow

Caps are to highlight the part i think your missing
  • The Rookie
    I hadn't missed it, but you've changed your mind, they originally said believed, now it's think.......
  • heez29
    heez29 Posts: 612
    Cunt for the sake of being a cunt.

If it grows then it's a crack, if it doesn't then it's not.
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    WTF? What difference does it make!

We don't believe it's a crack (but it could be, in which case it will grow).
    We don't think it's a crack (but it could be, in which case it will grow).

Entirely interchangeable!