new wheels for 5-speed 700c?

shefbiker
shefbiker Posts: 255
edited October 2012 in The workshop
Hi.
I recently bought an old raleigh for my wife to get about on, but the wheels look like their about to give up. They're chromed steel rims, 700c, with a 5-speed freewheel.

Where do i start looking for new wheels? i'm quite happy that they'll be aluminium equivalents, not chromed!

Thanks

Comments

• craker
    craker Posts: 1,739
    What's the OLD for your current wheels (Over Locknut Dimension - ie what's the gap in the frame between the dropouts) If it's 126mm then you'll be scratching around ebay a bit. (ebay wizardry gets you this)

Or you can cold set a steel frame - ie bend it enough to fit a modern wheel in but that may leave you having to up spec your bike to 9 speed or so (I suppose its got friction shifters?).

Or you can get a new rim built onto the existing hub..
  • majormantra
    majormantra Posts: 2,094
    You can get modern wheels that take a freewheel, e.g.:

http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/700c-(622)-rear-36h-unbranded-road-wheel-with-screw-on-freewheel-black-prod26599/

130mm OLD means frame stretching as craker says. If it's just from 126mm then you can generally force it in, although permanent bending makes wheel swapping easier.
  • desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    If the hubs are in decent nick you can get your LBS to relace them onto new rims.
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • Wooliferkins
    Wooliferkins Posts: 2,060
    You can get modern wheels that take a freewheel, e.g.:
    130mm OLD means frame stretching as craker says. If it's just from 126mm then you can generally force it in, although permanent bending makes wheel swapping easier.

You often find that screw on wheels just have a long axle spaced to 135 so the chainline remains good for 5/6 speed. Judicious removal of said spacers gets you closer to your 126mm if with an unsightly prominent axle on one side
    Neil
    Help I'm Being Oppressed