First sportive

coltrane
coltrane Posts: 74
I'm doing my first sportive in a couple of weeks, can anyone advise me on the following:

Is it considered bad etiquette to take an ipod?
If you stop for a snack/drink at one of the feedstations is the time included in your overall time?

Any other tips would be gratefully received

Comments

• vs
    vs Posts: 468
    1. If it's the Exmoor Beast they won't allow you to wear an iPod (why would you anyway?)
    2. Yes it is.

Enjoy!
  • BlakeysFC
    BlakeysFC Posts: 233
    coltrane wrote:
    I'm doing my first sportive in a couple of weeks, can anyone advise me on the following:

Is it considered bad etiquette to take an ipod?
    If you stop for a snack/drink at one of the feedstations is the time included in your overall time?

Any other tips would be gratefully received

1. You shouldn't need to bring your ipod on a cycle ride, you need to listen out for traffic/marshalling advice and other riders and also concentrate 100% on avoiding pot holes and going the fastest you can go, if you absolutely cannot cycle without music ( :shock: ) then buy some of those 'ear bone' headphones that enable you to hear the music and everything else going on around you on the road.

2. Yes it is

Enjoy the ride, don't be daunted by the other riders around you on the ride, bring enough energy bars/gels/isotonic drink/hydration tablets to last the ride length you're doing just in case the feed stations are understocked/out of stock.
  • Thanks guys especially about stations being out of stock, incidentaly for a 100 miler hwo much liquid/drink would you expect to get through?

I understand the safety aspect of the ipod but a lot of my riding is on my own and for longer rides music can help motivate. Anyway I’ll leave it behind and follow the advice.