Mills Hills Sportive Hebden Bridge

kayo74
kayo74 Posts: 299
Did anyone do this today?. I choose the long route and it was very tough especially the last 4 mile which they throw in for good measure. Good job the weather was kind.
Your thoughts and what you thought of it would be good?.

Comments

• allen
    allen Posts: 214
    I didn t do it myself but saw some of you climbing Ripponden bank...I was on my down it : ). It was a beautiful still morning...checked out the route when i got back and it looked well challenging. How did you return from Oxenhope by the way after dropping down into the village ...its not clear on the map. Certainly a challenging ride...would have been very hard on a windy day.
  • I did this yesterday, my first ever sportive, what a start!! I was one who was pushing my bike up at least half of Clough Lane, though I suspect I wasnt the only one. I pick this because I thought it would be a gentle 30 mile introduction to sportive. Clue's in the title I suppose. It was a brilliant day, but a real challenge. All climbers out there need to give this one a go next year. We were blessed with an amazing Autumn day, this ride would have been double the challenge in the cold and wet. Sort of ride a lot of armed forces nutcases would enjoy. I know nothing of sportives yet, but a lot of hardened players came in from the 70 knowing that they'd been tested. I'm hoping to be fit enough to do the 70 next year. The pies at the end were epic too. Well done Emma and team. A great, challenging event. :wink:
  • davew3
    davew3 Posts: 1
    Yeah i did the 70 mile route which was actually 74 according to Garmin. IMO the route was very very tough and the last climb was just taking the piss 2 miles from the finish (its the only part i could'nt cope with). Feel gutted in a way, because i managed 70 miles made all the hills all apart from the last climb. I think i'd psycologically convinced myself 'thats it ive done it, relax, your home' which did'nt help. Anyway next year i'm having another shot hopefully 1/2 a stone lighter and mentally prepared for the whole thing. I did say to my mates during the ride that if this was a wet wintery day the ride would have been no fun whatsoever and maintain that opinion. If they want this ride to attract all but the hardened riders then i suggest they tone it down a bit just in case the weather is bad, or bring it forward in the year.
  • For a first running I thought the organisers had done an excellant job. Dint have any but the pies looked really good. Well done everyone that finished. A tough ride.
    Photos are at http://www.sportsunday.co.uk