Turbo Trainer info.

Werbo
Werbo Posts: 109
edited October 2012 in Road general
Hi everyone, its my birthday soon so my Mrs is going to buy me a turbo trainer. Iv been looking on Wiggle but im really none the wiser. I dont want her to spend to much £100 - 180. Iv done a search on the forum and read some reviews but id like some personal feed back of what people sudgest.

Comments

• declan1
    declan1 Posts: 2,470
    I ordered one of these yesterday:

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/elite-crono-flu ... l-trainer/

It gets brilliant reviews and it looks like a revolutionary design. Good offer on at the moment too.

Road - Dolan Preffisio
    MTB - On-One Inbred

I have no idea what's going on here.
  • Werbo
    Werbo Posts: 109
    Looks smart enough let me me know how it goes please.
  • declan1
    I shall. It'll be the weekend before I get it up and running but I'll let you know if I remember haha!

Road - Dolan Preffisio
    MTB - On-One Inbred

• amaferanga
    amaferanga Posts: 6,789
    declan1 wrote:

It gets brilliant reviews and it looks like a revolutionary design. Good offer on at the moment too.

Note that many of the Wiggle reviews are from people buying their first turbo. The design is different, but there are significant drawbacks and no real advantage. The drawbacks are that you can't pedal out of the saddle with that design and even moving around in the saddle changes the pressure on the roller so the resistance changes.

I'd recommend a Cycleops turbo with a conventional clamping system. I have an Elite turbo, but replaced it with a Cycleops Fluid 2 (and gave the Elite to my girlfriend to use a couple of times a year).
    More problems but still living....
  • declan1
    amaferanga wrote:
    declan1 wrote:

Note that many of the Wiggle reviews are from people buying their first turbo. The design is different, but there are significant drawbacks and no real advantage. The drawbacks are that you can't pedal out of the saddle with that design and even moving around in the saddle changes the pressure on the roller so the resistance changes.

I'd recommend a Cycleops turbo with a conventional clamping system. I have an Elite turbo, but replaced it with a Cycleops Fluid 2 (and gave the Elite to my girlfriend to use a couple of times a year).

A few reviews say it's really nice when pedalling out of the saddle. I'll have to let you know when I get it.

Road - Dolan Preffisio
    MTB - On-One Inbred

• vs4b
    vs4b Posts: 257
    Got just what you need for sale in the classifieds!!
  • amaferanga
    amaferanga Posts: 6,789
    I wouldn't take much notice of Wiggle reviews for anything as they're just too good in general. As soon as you move your weight forward with that design of turbo you unweight the rear wheel and it'll slip. Perhaps the reviewers saying it was good were 20 stoners so they had plenty of weight on the rear wheel no matter where they moved it to....
    More problems but still living....
  • declan1
    amaferanga wrote:
    I wouldn't take much notice of Wiggle reviews for anything as they're just too good in general. As soon as you move your weight forward with that design of turbo you unweight the rear wheel and it'll slip. Perhaps the reviewers saying it was good were 20 stoners so they had plenty of weight on the rear wheel no matter where they moved it to....

Hehe that's true. What about tieing the back of the bike to the floor with a bungee? That would keep the weight on the rear wheel when you sprint.

Road - Dolan Preffisio
    MTB - On-One Inbred

• MIABS
    MIABS Posts: 53
    The latest Cycling Plus magazine has Turbo Trainers reveiwed.
    My ride: Ribble New Sportive Racing