Best races of 2012?

Art Vandelay
Art Vandelay Posts: 1,982
edited October 2012 in Pro race
What do you think the best races of 2012 were - GTs, 1 week stage races, monuments and 1 dayers?

GTs - the Vuelta stood head and heels above a dour Giro and a Tour lacking much of a challenge to Sky's dominance.

1 weeker - Tour de Suisse and Romandie were average this year. Qatar had some surprisingly good moments but I'd go with another surprise - the Tour of Britain. Squirmishy racing, good parcours.

Monument - The new Ronde course made a poor race. Enjoyed Roubaix but not one of the best. Probably MSR for me.

1 Dayer - Paris Tours. Animated racing. I'd like to see what Degenkolb can do in Roubaix.

Comments

• rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    M-SR was a good one. LBL was good too.

Objectively, LBL was probably better, but I remember enjoying M-SR more, so M-SR.

GT - Vuelta, for sure.

1 dayer - GP Walonia was good.

1 weeker - Didn't watch many, but Giro del Trentino was fun.

Best stage? Vuelta stage 17.
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,310
    GT - Giro - having gone against the perceived wisdom and picked J Rod for PTP helped and there was a suprise winner. I thought the Tour was great for the first 10 days - but then it got boring.

Monument - Roubaix - Boonen handing Sky their ar5es was a joy to watch. Also provided the spoiler thread of the year.

1 dayer - World Championship Race

1 weeker - Nothing springs to mind....Sky killed the big ones.
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • Art Vandelay
    Art Vandelay Posts: 1,982
    Best stage? Vuelta stage 17.
    Shame the TV coverage started late. Gilbert's win on Stage 9 was good. Liked Cummings effort on Stage 13. Lots to choose from.

Tailwind - Giro? Really? The world's mens and women's weren't 5 star for me. Walkover for Vos - perhaps if Pooley made the move it would have been better. Men's - pretty much wait until the bottom of the hill before the real racing started.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661

Monument - Roubaix - Boonen handing Sky their ar5es was a joy to watch. Also provided the spoiler thread of the year.

I have no idea what you mean.... :|
  • Lightning
    Lightning Posts: 360
    GT - Vuelta. I never really liked it as much as other GTs (as a whole since it always had some very interesting stages for me), but lately it's been getting much better in my opinion.

1 week - I really enjoyed Trentino this year. For such a short race it had very interesting stages and Pozzovivo put on a great show.

Monument - Roubaix. I know lots of people don't like when a race is decided like this but I do like it (and I never expected Boonen to pull it off).

1 day - Nothing really stood out for me here.. Maybe the World Championship?
  • r0bh
    r0bh Posts: 2,383
    GT: Vuelta for excitment, Tour for realistic performances and Wiggo winning

1 week: Tour of Britain, good racing and great crowds.

Monument: Nothing really stands out so Lombardia for the epic conditions.

1 day: women's Olympic road race
  • tailwindhome

I have no idea what you mean.... :|

Of the year's spoiler threads it was the most entertaining.
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • GT definitely the Vuelta. Whilst the seemingly endless diet of uphill finishes became a bit dull, the racing was exciting. Plus, the TTT finished in a bullring!

Monument was Lombardy for me. The conditions, new parcours, seeing J Rod getting a richly deserved, big win after all his efforts in the Giro and Vuelta.

One Day : Sep Vanmarcke springing a big surprise at Het Volk. We all know what happened next!

Week long: The big ones were bit pedestrian really, Sky dominate for Wiggins. Got a soft spot for the early races like Tour of the Basque country, you kind of get to see how everyone is shaping up, but my favourite this year is Tirreno. If only for Sagan outsprinting Nibs.

Good thread AV.
  • tailwindhome
    I'm sure Lombardy was great but the TV coverage (due I assume to the weather) made it unwatchable (IMO)
  • GT - Giro - having gone against the perceived wisdom and picked J Rod for PTP helped and there was a suprise winner. I thought the Tour was great for the first 10 days - but then it got boring.

1 dayer - World Championship Race

1 weeker - Nothing springs to mind....Sky killed the big ones.

Agree with all of those! ToB wasn't a bad week long race, really can't think of anything else.

Not sure about the spoiler thread, don't remember that one. I was kinda busy on the day to contribute much. :D