Forks for a Spicy?

ownerofpi
ownerofpi Posts: 108
edited October 2012 in MTB buying advice
I was hoping to move some existing forks I have (130mm Marz All Mountain) onto my Spicy frame but they are pretty knackered so it looks like I have to find something else.

Cash is really tight so second hand is probably the only way I can go.

I have seen a fair few set of Pikes doing the rounds on the second hand market. Would these be OK for a 160mm frame or will it make a total hash of the geo?

I know there are 66's available but I am aiming to go for something lighter (weight wise and a bit less heavy duty) and I can't run to the price of a set of Fox forks. I'm probably asking for the moon on a stick too!

What others are available that people can recommend?

Comments

• lawman
    lawman Posts: 6,868
    a 150mm fork would be ok I think, 140mm might be too short. What kind of budget do you have, rockshox domains can be had quite cheap and there are plenty of cheap 150mm revelations around
  • ownerofpi
    Budget isn't huge as I might have to shell out for a new front hub too (mine is a standard QR and I wouldnt mind moving to a 20mm setup).

Probably £150 max.

I'll keep and eye out for a set of Revs or Domains. Are the 55's any good? I had heard some people say they were amazing and others say that they were prone to breaking?
  • lawman
    lawman Posts: 6,868
    ownerofpi wrote:
    Budget isn't huge as I might have to shell out for a new front hub too (mine is a standard QR and I wouldnt mind moving to a 20mm setup).

Probably £150 max.

I'll keep and eye out for a set of Revs or Domains. Are the 55's any good? I had heard some people say they were amazing and others say that they were prone to breaking?

the 55's to buy tend to be the high end one's, the rest are pretty poor from what I gather. Domains are probably your best bet, but they are pretty hefty
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    If you go Domain, 318, the 302 has no compression damper....

Manitou Nixon? Get the higher end ones for better damping, but older Manitous do seem more reliable than say Mazza's, also available as through axle.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • felix.london
    felix.london Posts: 4,067
    I bought a set of 318's off Pinkbike, £155 inc delivery
    "Why have that extra tooth if you're not using it?" - Brian Lopes

Votec V.SX Enduro 'Alpine Thug' 2012/2013 build

Trek Session 8
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    Yeah, Domain 318 would make sense. Heavy, but effective. I doubt your budget will push far enough for a Lyrik, and I wouldn't muck about with a shorter fork.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • ownerofpi
    OK thanks for the info folks. Will keep my eyes open for some cheap Domains.

Had the frame for ages and its still unbuilt. Losing my job meant a serious cut in budget.

edit - some eBay browsing has me watching two sets of Fox 36's and a set of Domains all ending tomorrow night and all close to or under my budget :D
  • Northwind
    Watch out for old 36s, you get all the usual Fox bullshit with some extra cracking lowers for good measure. Cheap for a reason!
    Uncompromising extremist
  • ownerofpi
    Ah bugger :roll:

Will email sellers and find out what year they are. One of them is a 2011 (apparently) but not sure about the other one.

Thanks for the heads up!
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Cheap, rebound only 36's are terrible, I would rather get a good set of Domains
  • EH_Rob
    EH_Rob Posts: 1,134
    I've got an older set of 36s (2007 I think) and think they're great, though they are an RC2 model. The cheaper models may not be so good.
  • ownerofpi
    One set are 2011 RC2 and the other lot I didnt even get a reply from the seller so took them off the list.

Domains are looking good at the moment as they are cheaper :P

Going to have a go at building this up myself rather than handing it over to the LBS so I will probably be back with a plethora of dumb questions :mrgreen:
  • Northwind
    ownerofpi wrote:
    One set are 2011 RC2

It's basically inconcievable that you'll get them for £150. But you never know!
    Uncompromising extremist
  • ownerofpi
    Yeah the wind just got up and my jeans feel a little warm and damp :lol: :roll:
  • felix.london
    Actually been on the look out for a Spicy frame as well - to attach my 318's to

Trek Session 8
  • ownerofpi
    I have toyed with the idea of selling it and the Ransom and putting the money towards something new but until I find new work I've just decided to build it on a budget and scavange the Ransom for parts.

The Domains are top of the list as they are cheap and I've realised I need a 20mm front hub as well!
  • felix.london
    ownerofpi wrote:
    I have toyed with the idea of selling it and the Ransom and putting the money towards something new but until I find new work I've just decided to build it on a budget and scavange the Ransom for parts.

The Domains are top of the list as they are cheap and I've realised I need a 20mm front hub as well!

Got a set of Flows on Switch Evo's with a 20mm adapter here too - just waiting for the right frame

Trek Session 8
  • Northwind
    Forum wedding?
    Uncompromising extremist
  • felix.london
    Northwind wrote:
    Forum wedding?

always the bridesmaid... :cry: