City hack clunker build - really wide mudguards?

leelovesbikestoo
leelovesbikestoo Posts: 8
edited October 2012 in Commuting general
I've just finished a city hack in the form of a clunker - cow horn bars, coaster brake, and fat tyres (2.5" Big Earls) and I'm needing some full length mud guards for winter (I know it's sacrilege but I can't have road muck sprayed up the back of my slacks).

Ideally I'd like some SKS full length jobs, but I can't find any to accommodate such wide tyres, and my budget isn't huge as the whole thing has cost me about £20 to get going. Would rather avoid the ubiquitous Crud Catcher/Guard combo. Any ideas for keeping spray at bay?
"If you don't ride in the rain you don't ride."

Comments

• jejv
    jejv Posts: 566
    Bluemels B65 T28 might work.
    - 65mm 700C mudguards. Might need to order from .de
    Probably more than £20.
  • fossyant
    fossyant Posts: 2,549
    ETC make 60mm guards. Just had mine delivered and will be fitting this week to winterise the MTB for ice duty. Amazon for under £19. Quality guards
  • Thanks guys that's great.

Fossyant - when you fit them could you measure the distance between the stays for me? My tyres are exactly 60mm edge-to-edge and I'm worried they'll buzz on the stays.
  • jejv
    jejv Posts: 566
    Oh - It's 26" x 2.5.
    That's easy then.
    I've just finished a city hack [...] and fat tyres (2.5" Big Earls)
    Knobblies ??
    On a "City Hack" ?!?

No problem finding 60-65mm mudguards for 559mm (' 26" ') wheels.
  • Haha yep. Have you seen the state of Glasgow's roads these days? My nice old Claud Butler road bike has taking a beating and I'm fed up truing the wheels. So as revenge I've built up a beast that's all about comfort and not speed! (plus it's my antedote to the slightly out of hand fixie craze up here)

To be fair, the knobblies are my old MTB tyres and have little tread left on them, but they do have a huge volume to smooth out the roads. All I need is some full length guards and I'm sorted for the winter.

Edit: Some pics on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set ... 801aacd568
  • Initialised
    Initialised Posts: 3,047
    SKS Velo Mountain 65 will fit 2.5s
    I used to just ride my bike to work but now I find myself going out looking for bigger and bigger hills.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Beavertails would be worth a look.

Big Earls are hardly knobblies, more 'urban freeride'.....
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.